Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Magazines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/03/2019 :  17:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious . . . .

I receive several sailing related magazines each month, including Sail; Cruising World; Sailing World; Good Old Boat; and Practical Sailor. I am finding Cruising World the best, followed in order by Sail; Good Old Boat; Practical Sailor: and Sailing World. My reasons include relevance/Interest of topics, constant (or not) repeating of same old, and readability.

Curious what others think, and if there are other publications that I am missing.

All feedback is welcome!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 05/03/2019 17:42:29

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2019 :  22:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are all fine publications. I’ve subscribed to Wooden Boat and there’s a lot about construction, finish and old skool techniques and tools. Great to learn about, but I doubt I’ll ever undertake building one of these beauties.
The one publication I miss is Latitudes and Attitudes. The enterprise was wrapped in controversy and the principals were larger than life characters. Google it, an interesting read.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2019 :  06:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce: What a read "The Inglorious Demise of Latitudes and Seafaring . . . " is! Sounds like it was an interesting, if not a bit scandalous a publication.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2019 :  07:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The magazine covers usually featured minimally swimsuit-clad people in interesting poses, not that there's anything wrong with that...
There was a lot of story-telling about near misses with disaster, Parrot-Head lore and cruising to far-off (and far-out) places.
Apparently now the rights have been transferred to a producer for the online Lats & Atts TV, part of The Sailing Channel, also known as Sail Flix.
Lin and Larry Pardee, formerly staff writers on Cruising topics for the print version, appear to be associated with the new version.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 05/04/2019 07:24:13
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2019 :  07:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to subscribe to several of those publications but currently only subscribe to Cruising Outpost, now being renamed to their original name Latitudes and Attitudes.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2019 :  08:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little bit away from sailing specifically, I look forward to each month's Soundings magazine--a general marine publication. I also get periodic shorts from them in my e-mail. I've posted a few of them here. The other sailing mags are too full of big, expensive yachts; big, expensive gear; and big, expensive journeys for my interests. (Although I still get e-mail articles from Sail.)

For product reviews, nothing comes close to Practical Sailor, the Consumer Reports of marine stuff, although I gave it up after their subscription company tried to scam me some years ago. The publisher was very apologetic, but I never went back. Two local libraries used to keep collections of issues, but both stopped--I don't know whether P/S caused that...

(Lats & Atts was indeed rather "lively"... I was on an e-mail list of theirs.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/04/2019 08:45:48
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2019 :  09:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel lucky that when I started to get interested in sailing I got a subscription to Wooded Boat. Beautiful magazine AND it taught me that if I wanted to sail rather than be a carpenter to get a fiberglass boat.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2019 :  09:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lats & Att's if managed well and with colorful stories could re-emerge as being a good read. I agree that most publications seem to push expensive and new, however Cruising World seems to do one out of four editions on refitting older boats, which is interesting. Practical Sailor has been disappointing in recent years. Seems to me to be too much going over cleaners, anchoring and gadgets and fewer real reviews. I have not seen Soundings in years, if not decades -- will look it up. And years ago I had a subscription to Wooden Boat, and like John and Bruce quickly determined I had not the skill or patience for wood -- but fiberglass works just fine!!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2019 :  10:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For local Long Island Sound topics, you really can't beat Windcheck Magazine. They cover lots of local events in coastal CT, Westchester, NYC and the boroughs, Long Island, Fishers Island and coastal Rhode Island (South County) with occasional mentions of Newport and the Narragansett Bay.
Racing, cruising, training and education and speaking events (the likes of John Rousmaniere and Americas Cup folks). Best part, it's free to pick up at most boating stores and ~$30/yr for home delivery.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2019 :  10:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

For local Long Island Sound topics, you really can't beat Windcheck Magazine. They cover lots of local events in coastal CT, Westchester, NYC and the boroughs, Long Island, Fishers Island and coastal Rhode Island (South County) with occasional mentions of Newport and the Narragansett Bay.
Racing, cruising, training and education and speaking events (the likes of John Rousmaniere and Americas Cup folks). Best part, it's free to pick up at most boating stores and ~$30/yr for home delivery.

Yes very good for our area, Western L.I. Sound, and our marina, Oyster Bay, has a stack for the taking.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2019 :  11:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new owner of WindCheck was raised in Norwalk, from a very sailing family, and is very connected with the local racing scene. It's fun to read about people you actually know!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2019 :  17:58:13  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would also check out “Sailing” magazine. My favorites are : Wooden Boat Magazine, Good Old Boat, Sailing and Practical Sailer.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2019 :  19:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cruising World is also my favorite. It’s well done and interesting.

I like Practical Sailor as well.

Of the magazines you mentioned, SAIL is the worst. It’s a trash rag that only wanna be sailors would be excited about reading. The boat reviews are just trash marketing for their advertisers.

When you subscribe to SAIL, all you’re doing is paying for Peter Nielsen and his buddies’ to go sailing while they send you a trash rag you can read on your couch.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 05/09/2019 19:41:57
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2019 :  08:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find, regardless of publication, all the reviews of new sailboats to be basically free advertising for the mfg. Most are done in conjunction with a show, and usually the wind conditions are under 5 kts so they can not really test the boat other than how it performs under power. Owner feedback on the various sailing blogs is far more interesting as you find how soon reefing is required, and other good -- and bad -- characteristics boats have. I've always been amazed at how some people will test drive a zillion @$30k cars before buying, but will buy sight unseen a @$150k sailboat.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2019 :  09:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come-on, Seth--tell us what you really think!

I'm no big fan of Sail, but I remain on their e-mail list and occasionally get a useful article--I think I've posted a few here over the years. I find their focus is generally on BIG boats, EX$PEN$IVE gear, and EXOTIC venues that have little meaning to me.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page