Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Running lines aft
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wm36
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2019 :  19:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have become interested in running at least some of my lines back to the cockpit, thinking of the main halyard and main reef (maybe double line reef - still undecided about that). I have two questions:

1) I have a 1995 C250. It does not have the plate at the mast step for attaching turning blocks like some other years have. What have others used as a turning block on this vintage of boat?

2) I hate the idea of drilling holes through the deck, but it must be done if I make this addition. What are suggestions for waterproofing these new holes? I have seen descriptions of elaborate processes of drilling and enlarging and epoxy filling, and others using butyl tape. Any guidance here?

West Marine had a sale on a triple clutch so I bought one of those last month, but I'm waiting on the rest of the parts until I do more research.

Thanks,
Wayne

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2019 :  06:18:37  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This came up recently so you might search for the topic. I posted a description of my set up I have triple clutches on each side. Here are analogue photos of the starboard side.

The difference is on the port side I ave a deck mounted winch behind the clutches. On port I have main halyard, reefing line and topping lift.
On starboard I have main out haul and spin halyard.
I can reef from the cockpit all on the port side and do it under one minute.
Well worth the expense and drilling through the deck.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2019 :  21:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I also bought the spinlock triple clutch from WM. But I don't have the mast plate on my boat. I have tried searching the forum but I can't find what has been used as a turning block if there is no mast plate?

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2019 :  09:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I can't find what has been used as a turning block if there is no mast plate?"
It's not so much "what's been used as a turning block" but what the block attaches to.
Without a mast plate you are faced with attaching a bar to the deck or mast which means drilling holes.
My mast plate just sits under the mast.
Here is an mage of the Catalina Direct mast plate.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2019 :  11:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup--many owners (including me) added that plate--it sits under the tabernacle (mast base plate) so requires the mast coming down. The variety of holes in the flat surface are to match up with the variety of bolt patterns used by Catalina over the years... Mine had to have two more drilled in it--not easy with the equipment I had.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2019 :  16:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine is a little different, as you can sorta see in the photo above, and the PO added it so I don't know who made it.
Mine sits loose IN the tabernacle or mast base. That's why the bent parts with holes for the blocks are forward and aft of the mast.
I'm sure the PO (previous owner(s)) used it so no holes were drilled or had to line up.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2019 :  19:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mast plate looks like the way to go, but does it work on the 1995 model? When I talked to Catalina Direct about something else, I asked about the mast plate and they said it doesn't work on the 95 because of the compression post. Again, being a newbie, I don't understand the differences between model years, etc. Do you guys agree with this? Can you suggest a part number for a mast plate that would work on my boat?

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2019 :  03:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He probably said that because on the 250 the post is metal. On the 25 it's wood.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2019 :  15:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

When asked Catalina Direct the same question the answer provided was that the compression post and the tabernacle are one and the same.

The only way, unless someone on the forum has a different way of doing things, is to drill and mount gear to the deck.

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Edited by - zeil on 05/05/2019 15:32:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page