Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Honda 8 and 9.9 Oil Filter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/23/2019 :  17:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to special order my Honda outboard oil filter every season from my local Honda dealer. $20 later I’d get a perfect oil filter and replaced the old one. Then I took the filter to my local auto parts store and noticed that I could get an identical replica ultra gold oil filter for $4.99.
Now that’s not a HUGE savings however they have a boatload in stock and I didn’t have to drive 45 minutes to get it.
For anybody who is curious, the details are:
* FRAM Ultra Gold Sure Grip filter catalog number XG6607
It fits perfectly and looks - for all intents and purposes - identical in every respect to the special order item.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  04:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, You can cross reference any filter. Fact is I doubt Honda actually makes their own filter rather has them made by wix, fram etc. or another filter manufacturer and rebranded. Same with spark plugs.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  15:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Yep, You can cross reference any filter. Fact is I doubt Honda actually makes their own filter rather has them made by wix, fram etc. or another filter manufacturer and rebranded. Same with spark plugs.

I've been buying Wix filters for my Morgan off Amazon, wondering if they were trash - glad to know it's a legit name.

I couldn't find one filter anywhere, except for the Wix.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 03/25/2019 15:14:56
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  16:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Yep, You can cross reference any filter.

Agreed — you can cross reference them. HOWEVER, they don’t make it easy that’s for sure!

I had to take a marine filter (sans oil) to the store to match diameter and height, and O-ring size, center connector and thread pitch before I was sure I had the right substitute.

I haven’t seen a cross reference table anywhere on line.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  18:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to guess at your Honda filter # so here is a cross reference chart for this # https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/HONDA/15400-PFB-014

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2019 :  06:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, that is a handy chart you have there ... I see two brands that are carried in my local Wal*Mart auto dept.
The FRAM PH 6607 and
The STP PH7028

Looking down the list several other brands also mention part numbers ending in 6607 like FRAM. It makes you wonder how many actual manufacturers there are, not many but they have a lot of OEM customers.

The other questions are:
1. What about quality of construction and variations in consistency? Do all products offer the same filtering protection?
2. Do the different brand names all have the same specifications? E.g.: flow rate, particle size, lifetime?
3. Are there differences in the formulation of the filter media?
4. I assume the oil and automotive industries have set standards.

In Seth’s case with Wix filters, are they certified to meet automotive standards? Are automotive standards as rigid as boating standards?

In a car I’ll run an oil filter 4000 miles with conventional oil or 6000 with synthetic. On the Honda I’ll run one season which is considerably fewer engine hours. The outboard oil however in a season gets just as dark colored as the old oil in my car, so I reckon it’s about the same workout.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2019 :  07:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of websites discussing quality of oil filters. From what I've heard along with my personal experience I beleive Wix is one of the better brands on the market.

Wix filters are made by the Dana Corporation. Wix makes low end and high end oil filters. Go with the high end for the best filtering. I believe the high end filters are listed as "XP".

I ran Wix oil filters in my Sea Ray for over 10 years and never had any problems. Wix along with Mobil 1 allowed me to run my 350 c.i. Mercruiser very hard for 500 hours before I had it rebuilt. The crankshaft mic'd out with almost zero wear.

Although more than one filter might "fit" it doesn't mean they filter the same. The filter media may be different, some have and some do not have bypass filters built in, they may have different flow rates, etc.

Construction does varies by manufacturer. Wix filters do meet automotive standards from what I understand.

Outboard motors are most likely not built to the "tight" standards modern day car engines are built to which would be part of the reason the oil turns dark faster. More particles from the combustion process most likely get past the rings and valve seats than they do on modern day cars. The emissions systems are different as well.

Another reason is your average car engine turns approx. 1500 RPM at highway speeds where as your outboards is turning 3500 - 5500 RPM depending on how hard you run it. Add the additional drag/resistance pushing our non-planing hulls thru the water and it all adds up to our outboards working a lot harder than our car engines.

Just my .02 worth. Do your own research before proceeding. :)

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 03/27/2019 07:50:03
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2019 :  08:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wix filters, are they certified to meet automotive standards?
Wix makes a very good filter. ... Wix has consistently been found to be a high quality filter with high quality components.
They make filters for other company's and many auto repair shops use them. for instance Wix makes the NapaGold and the Napa Platinum; they are identical in construction and are made on the same production line. That said I think you could spend a whole day watching U-Tube videos on guys cutting filters open for comparison and never get a consistent answer on the best oil filter so......
I'm more shocked that if you just bought a filter then you left that old oil in your engine over the winter. Old oil is acidic and will eat away at your motor pitting the metal. That practice is probably more harmful to your engine than a poor quality oil filter. Changing the oil is one of the first things I do at the end of the season along with a good long engine flush with fresh water. I agree with GaryB. Id add that our outboards are old style carburetor motors so the fuel mix is not as precise as fuel injection so the oil gets contaminated faster.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2019 :  18:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, yes, I did just change last year's oil. As far as I can tell it’s been sitting in the sump away from the bearings and other moving parts of the engine. I haven’t seen any indication of negative effects yet... perhaps in another 20 years?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page