Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 bottompaint
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Deborah
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
36 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/09/2019 :  12:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how much paint is used for 25ft, with fin keel? what do boatyards charge? I understand different prices for paint.

1985 Catalina 25 Fin Keel #5160
"Mottley Crew"
Spring Grove, IL

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2019 :  13:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We need more info. One coat or two? What particular paint? (Some paints go on thin and watery and others go on thick.) I use 1 gal. for one thin coat of Westmarine PCA antifouling on my C&C 35.

For my Catalina 25, I used different paints through the years, and bought a gallon, which was more than enough for one coat, and saved the rest to use the next year. The next year I bought another gallon. The third year, I had enough left over to do the whole bottom without buying more.

To each his/her own, but I paint my C&C myself. It's easy. Just wash the bottom, tape the waterline and roll on a coat with a paint roller. Painting the bottom is only a hard job if the bottom is in bad shape with many coats of peeling paint.

I have my Cal 25 painted by a yard because I race it and the racing paint has to be sprayed on for a very fast surface. A couple years ago the yard charged about $700. for a light sanding and coat of expensive racing paint.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 03/09/2019 13:19:32
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2019 :  13:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be an easy question to answer, however . . . . .for years I painted Limerick's bottom, which was a fin keel but rough topography requiring a thick roller for application. I always needed just over one gallon so would buy a gallon and a quart. Being in salt water I used West PCA and tried to buy it when on sale. Six years ago I broke down and had a local yard do a bottom job: stripping all the old bottom paint, applying barrier coating, etc., I painted a one coat black "strike" finish, which included my boot stripe, which is black anti-fouling, and one coat blue "top" coat. Every other year the strike coat begins to show thorough so I paint one coat blue top coat. Since the bottom job I only need slightly less than one gallon using a roller with minimal stipple. In the "Gold Coast" of Connecticut yards charge @$15/ft plus materials to paint the bottom. As you aer in Illinois hopefully it is cheaper. Long winded response and I am sure others will have varying thoughts!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2019 :  11:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used just under a gallon of West Marine PCA Gold. I put on three coats including the rudder.
I have the swing keel.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2019 :  09:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recall using about 3/4 gallon for a full coat on my fin keeled C-25, rolling it on with a low-nap roller. These days on my $+!nkp*+, I use Pettit Hydrocoat SR (a water-based ablative/copolymer with biocides for both plants and animals)--I appreciate the lack of fumes and the ability to clean up with water. Most years I just paint along the waterline and areas where my "signal coat" (contrasting color) is peaking through--then about every third year I do a full coat. Of course that schedule varies based on usage... But a lot of people end up with way more ablative paint on their bottoms than needed--inviting "cratering" like you get with years of hard paints.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/11/2019 19:23:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page