Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Binoculars
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peregrine
Admiral

Member Avatar

830 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/28/2019 :  09:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need a new pair of binoculars but have a pretty tight budget.
Would appreciate suggestions'
TIA

John Gisondi
Peregrine

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2019 :  09:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a pair of West Marine Shoreline 10x 42 last year and find them satisfactory for bird watching and sailing. West Marine will have a 50% off sale sometime in the next few months so you can get them on sale for $100.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2019 :  12:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer 7x50 over 10x42 on a boat--when you're moving around, the lower magnification and wider field of view is helpful. I very much like my West Marine 7x50s for the money--forgot the model name, but it isn't current anyway. They're waterproof and very good at night. Mine are warranted for life--I see WM now just does 2 years. A similar Nikon--$250 from Defender--has a 25 year warranty. I think WM's Coastal 200 model ($200) is about what I have, although they may have changed makers. I'd look at them in a store and then wait for a 50% sale (which I did). For a basic waterproof model, I doubt you can do much better for the price.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/28/2019 12:20:30
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2019 :  12:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John: Not sure what your budget is, but another cost effective option is the Fujinon Mariner WPC. They list around $200 but with the upcoming Warehouse Sale they should be available for @$160

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2019 :  16:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since West Marine got purchased by a venture capitol group they seem to be offering less WM branded products. Binoculars are/is one of them. For many years I wanted to get the Coastal Set with a compass and range finder. They are no longer offered.

Anyway, the Coastal 100 series 7x50 aren't bad. They run them at 50% off a few times a year. About 50 bucks. They last for a few years, of course you get what you pay for.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 03/01/2019 :  12:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
binoculars, A quick 101
BAK 4 is deemed to be the best glass for use in most types of binoculars and is what you want to see highlighted in the list of features.
Porro prism. Within the cheaper range of binoculars, it is often better to go for a porro prism.
Coatings. Be careful of the wording used. You want "Fully Multi-Coated" which tells us that all the air to glass surfaces on the bin have multiple layers of anti-reflection coatings on them and thus will perform far better than those with less coatings on fewer surfaces. Coated", "Multi-Coated" or even "Fully Coated" can mean that only one surface is coated.
What the body is made of. Usually made from either Polycarbonate plastic or Aluminum. Cheap binoculars will usually be made from Polycarbonate, The plus side to poly is its cheaper and lighter. On the negative, it is not as strong and just lacks that certain feeling of quality and substance that you get with a metal body.
Waterproofing. A "weather-proof", "weather protected" or "water-resistant" is most probably not fully sealed. You are looking for a product that is fully waterproof and fog proof using either nitrogen or argon gas. This will also make them dust proof. This is a sure indication of a much better quality than ones that are not.
Celestron Oceana 7x50 Marine Binoculars would be worth considering, They meet all of the above along with an illuminated compass and Reticle built-in all at a good price.https://shop.opticsplanet.com/celestron-oceana-7x50-wp-if-rc-binocular.html?_iv_code=CI-BI-71189&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7pTcvcLh4AIV1LfACh3UjgwjEAQYASABEgLJD_D_BwE

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/01/2019 :  13:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott's "Quick 101" is very true, however their are more things to consider. I own, or have owned Steiner, Nikon, Bushnell, Fujinon, Celestron, West, and others. To me the important criteria are, in order, weight, field of vision, eye-piece comfort. For under $100 it is tough to find durable binoculars. $100 - $400 there are some good values that if purchased on sale can be quite affordable. Most importantly, identify the key criteria(s)that makes a binocular comfortable for you!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2019 :  09:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another feature I appreciate is adjustable eye cups. Mine twist in for using with glasses, and out for using without, so my eyes are the same distance from the eyepiece lens either way. Foldable rubber also works, but not as quickly and easily. I don't see them in Scott's example, but otherwise that looks pretty good. I prefer, however, to try and compare candidates in a store. The overall "feel" can vary considerably.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/02/2019 09:39:23
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2019 :  10:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter,Dave You both have valid points to consider and I only touched on a few. I didn't bother with the eye cups because most binoculars under $200 will come with folding ones. You definitely have an upgrade if yours screw in/out.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2019 :  10:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other place to look is to google 'best binoculars for bird watching'. Lots of independent reviews on multiple sites, splittting the reviews into low, mid, and high price ranges. I think birders are looking for the same qualities we are: anti-fog, light gathering, eye cups, waterproof, etc. I bought a pair of Vortex Raptor for a present for my wife for birding, 7 x 42, after reading multiple reviews. Very impressive, around $225.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page