Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 76 Year Old Dude Circumnavigating In a Moore 24
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/18/2018 :  21:36:50  Show Profile
Nice articles from this guy - here's one of them:

https://www.cruisingworld.com/change-in-plans-for-circumnavigator-webb-chiles

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2018 :  22:18:03  Show Profile
I have a dockmate with a Moore 24, a wickedly fast boat. He actually worked for George Olson years ago in Santa Cruz building them.

I'm sending him this link in case he hasn't seen it.

It's a solid little boat but I can't even imagine this feat. The freeboard is like zero and the headroom in the cabin is even less.

Awesome.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2018 :  22:40:08  Show Profile
Let’s hope he has a life jacket, a bailer and a life Raft!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2018 :  17:16:58  Show Profile
I've sailed a Moore 24... Skinny, extremely light, lightly ballasted, exposed spade rudder, virtually flush deck (anything that comes over the bow will go into the cockpit), and a light-duty fractional rig. You sit on the deck (or stand in the cockpit). At least the companionway sill is raised to help keep green water out of the cabin, but this sounds like a death-wish to me. I'm glad he's made it as far as he has so far, but it appears he's prioritized amazing people over seeing the world. Poor wife.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2018 :  12:57:59  Show Profile
I hope he made some modifications to the boat: a lot of em!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2018 :  13:45:03  Show Profile
I don't know if you're all familiar with Webb Chiles, who is a legend of sailing. He has completed four circumnavigations, set two world records, and was the first American to round Cape Horn single-handed. He was named the 2017 Blue Water Medal Award Recipient.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s he made what was at the time by far the longest open boat voyage of all time, 20,000 miles. CHIDIOCK TICHBORNE was a stock English-built, un-decked Drascombe Lugger. 18’ long, 6’ wide, unballasted, and with a draft of 4’ with the centerboard down, 10” with it up. She weighed less than 900 pounds. Chiles has a long history of making long voyages in a minimalist boat.

This is Chidiock Tichborne.

This is a photo taken of the boat by Chiles after one of the many times she was swamped and before he was able to get her bailed out. IIRC, this was in the Indian Ocean.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2018 :  21:33:11  Show Profile
How did he take that photo in the Indian Ocean, from slightly above and away from the boat? Judging from the condition of the rig (mizzen mast gone, main mast in questionable shape, sails shredded), I'd say he was rescued before he bailed her out. So much for sailing the wrong boat in the wrong place.

EDIT: Wait... Different boat. Transom rather than double-ender, and probably never had a mizzen mast. My question remains...

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/20/2018 21:50:22
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2018 :  12:03:40  Show Profile
If you look carefully at the photos, the boat was not a double ender. Both photos show a transom.

As for the photo, I can only guess that he held the camera as high out of the water as he could. It doesn't look particularly high to me. If you look at the slanted horizon, it's apparent that he wasn't aiming through the viewfinder. He probably just held it up, pointed it in the general direction of the boat and snapped it. You can see a line trailing off the transom. That was probably his safety line, to keep him attached to the boat.

I just found Chiles' comment about the photo. "I took the last photograph myself, while drifting for two weeks and 300 miles after CHIDIOCK hit something and capsized. For more details see “Adrift” in nonfiction. After reaching land in what is now Vanuatu, I was, with generous help from Honnor Marine, CHIDIOCK’s English builders, able to put the boat back together and sailed her for three more years and 15,000 more miles. Perhaps it is unnecessary to say that I had an underwater camera."

There were, however, two identical Chidiock’s. I believe he was arrested by the Saudis, presumably as he sailed through the Red Sea. I don't remember why, but those folks don't seem to need much cause. I read the accounts so long ago that I don't recall all the details, but he probably put in to Saudi Arabia for provisions and, when he told them he was trying to sail around the world in that little cockleshell, they probably thought he was either lying or crazy and arrested him until they could figure it out, but as to these details, I'll defer to anyone with a better memory or who has read Chiles' account more recently.

The first Chidiock remained in Saudi Arabia after his arrest, and the second was shipped out to Egypt the following year so he could continue on. During that cruise, his accounts of the voyage were being published from time-to-time in Sail Magazine, and that was where I learned of him.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 12/21/2018 12:25:39
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2018 :  20:03:07  Show Profile
Yup—I see the transom now... Beyond that, the only interest I can muster is curiosity over what to my mind are the disorders or lives that lead a person to this kind of bizzare escape from humanity, over the horizon in a dinghy, inviting disaster, proving what? There’s apparently some form of high-functioning intelligence there... Family? Friends? Other loved ones? Community? Contributing? Giving? Giving back? I truly feel sorry for him, except perhaps he’s found some sort of personal peace.

Have a wonderful, meaningful Christmas,
Curmudgeon out.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2018 :  20:34:40  Show Profile
Agreed fully, with the one caveat -- age, er, um, maturity, does influence reasonable behavior, just saying . . . . . Happy New Year

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page