Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What is this boat really worth?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LakeFall
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/18/2018 :  11:07:48  Show Profile
As many agree, one of the best years out there, but for $18k I may look for another hobby. (no extra points for those who say "it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it")
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Catalina-25-Used/123367423451?hash=item1cb9457ddb:g:NCoAAOSwRolbibxW

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  11:56:31  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
well it is also an inboard, and very clean. might be a little high though.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  12:03:20  Show Profile
If you were looking for a 1989 or 1990 with an inboard motor, you would almost certainly discover unicorns before finding one for sale.

It's listed with a broker, so yeah it's a bit high. There is probably a lot of wiggle room at that price.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  12:19:37  Show Profile
I like the part that says new reduced price.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

LakeFall
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  14:17:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

If you were looking for a 1989 or 1990 with an inboard motor, you would almost certainly discover unicorns before finding one for sale.

LOL nice. After seeing what replacement parts cost for an inboard diesel I'm thinking this really isn't a selling point unless you go out looking for big swells to sail through.
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  14:31:41  Show Profile
An inboard Gasoline Engine ???
Are you nuts ???
For that kind of money, you can get a center cockpit S2 9.2.
Which I might do.
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/67548

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

Edited by - SKS on 09/18/2018 14:34:31
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  15:27:55  Show Profile
Looking through the list of features, I saw a lot of 'generalized' statements, like "mast light - installed", etc. The pictures look good, but from my fighter days in the USAF, "one peek is worth a thousand 'sweeps'" (comparing visual lookout vs radar search). By that, anyone looking at purchasing a used boat valued at more than one's willing to lose, should have the boat surveyed by a professional, particularly for that price. These Catalina's are pretty tough boats though and if you're really thinking of making an offer, consider traveling out to look at her.

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  17:53:03  Show Profile
Hey, my '89 has like new cushions in the cabin and I have a trailer for mine so it must be worth at least $20K. AND I've worked out all the kinks you get with a new boat so that might even add to the value!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 09/18/2018 17:53:58
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  18:45:36  Show Profile
The wax job looks nice and the interior is neat and clean...BUT fwiw...the exterior teak is in really poor condition...which I suggest may say something about the long term maintenance/attention she received...

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  19:02:14  Show Profile
The listing says gas engine but the picture is a diesel and the listing says one burner and the picture is a two burner. With all those pics none show the sails. No trailer and way overpriced, and listed by a Internet brokerage I think.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2018 :  20:16:34  Show Profile
Being from the greater NYC area (not for nothing), New Rochelle is in the heart of the “Gold Coast” where most items of value are marked WAAAY up. If this boat were for sale privately in Newport, Annapolis, Miami or Texas, the price would likely be in the $12,000 range.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2018 :  04:56:30  Show Profile
Bruce, I always thought the opposite. Gold Coast or not just the sheer volume of boats for sale around here at any given time keeps prices down. This guy is way over priced but what does he have to lose. Someone might just come along and buy it. A friend told me once that when buying a boat, Buy the biggest one you can afford. You can always fix and upgrade but you can't make it larger.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 09/19/2018 06:32:08
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2018 :  07:31:34  Show Profile
I think we should let the market signal to them that it's overpriced. I'd be a little pissed if I was trying to sell something and some internet group was ragging on it like this... As said above, try finding an '89-91 inboard wing keel C-25. But don't hold your breath while you look! That's a different animal from the "average '83 swinger". We should all hope they negotiate something like $14K for it.

BTW, some of the exterior teak has been replaced with stainless steel and some with (apparently) Starboard (as on the companionway frame). The hatchboards and eyebrows do look weathered but restoreable (for those who don't like gray teak).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/19/2018 07:42:07
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2018 :  04:45:00  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I have a 1989 with an outboard, brand new cushions , standing rigging that was replaced within past 5 years and bottom waterproofed with 7 coats of interprotect about 5 years or so ago. I will probably have the sails repaired or replaced next summer. I paid $9750 for the boat back in 2005. Even with all the above, the boat is doubtful to be worth any more than I paid for it and probably has depreciated since so many years have past since I bought it. Even with all the improvements I have made and there are many including an extended bunk, solar panel charging, AGM batteries, etc.....the boat is undoubtedly worth a lot to me but doubtful it would significantly increase a selling price for the boat, if I was interested in selling it...which I am not.

While having an inboard may increase the selling price somewhat, an inboard also negatively impacts the space onboard and the fact is that it is still a 25 foot boat and would compete in it's selling price against other 25 foot sailboats.

The seller of the above boat undoubtedly feels his boat is worth his asking price. Similarly, my boat is worth considerably more to me than what I bought it for back in 2005. I'm just saying.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/20/2018 04:45:55
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2018 :  06:51:08  Show Profile
Don't sell yourselves short. At this stage in a boat's life, its value is based on its condition, reputation, and relative rarity to meet a market need. The C-25, especially in the '89-91 "final edition", is a very well-built coastal cruiser, has standing headroom and livable space below, can be transported by trailer and a private vehicle without wide-load permits, offers true shoal draft without any moving parts to maintain (or fail), is made by a company that's still in business, is supported by another that specializes in selling upgrades and replacements specific to this boat, can be (and mostly is) driven by a small outboard, and has virtually no competition on this combination of points in the new-boat market. All it takes is a buyer who needs these things. And the more the '89-91 edition is perceived to be worth, the more all of its predecessors will be worth.

Perception, need, and supply drive prices, such as this one (priced about in the middle of its sister-ships). I don't think it's made any more, either.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/20/2018 06:55:29
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2018 :  15:02:28  Show Profile
... but what other boats could you buy for that much money?

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2018 :  19:56:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

... but what other boats could you buy for that much money?

Well, this one--if that's the boat that floats you--with a few grand left over to put toward the engine. (That won't cover it, of course.) But somebody out there doesn't want the biggest boat they can get--they want one that does what they want to do, and (maybe) is within their geographic limits (e.g. not on the opposite coast or in the Bahamas). Buyers need to know that any given C-25 is not like all the other C-25s, in the care it's been given, the conditions it's endured, and yes, the generation of the boat (of which this one is the last and best). I could have easily bought a 30' something-or-other for what I paid for my C-25, but didn't want one. And the pretty Cape Dory 26 that attracted me posed some issues that eliminated it. My seller did well--the boat was sound and right. And this forum (back then on Trailersailor.com) helped convince me.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2018 :  03:19:03  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Understand

It's sort of like selling a house. You can ask more than the typical selling price in the area and you may get a buyer that appreciates all that has been done but as the realtor will indicate or show, it is like being at the top of a pyramid where there are a lot fewer buyers out there that would be interested. As the selling price gets closer to the average selling price, then the pyramid widens indicating a lot more buyers would be interested.

Another thing for buyers to consider is what the insurance company thinks of the deal since they may not be willing to insure a boat for more than what they believe is the boat's replacement value. I recall once inquiring with Boat US, my insurer, that after I replaced the outboard with a brand new Honda 9.9, if my replacement value would increase...and they said "No". Maybe that was just them.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2018 :  08:52:50  Show Profile
Life is funny! Picking up on Dave Stkpttr’s thread above I was going to say “hey, I wonder whether the seller knows they’ve got a bunch of hecklers over here opining on the eBay listing?”
So I went back to the listing to see more info and eBay said, “this auction ended on Sept 19.” It did not indicate whether they sold the boat but I’m sure a little detective work would find it.
What it did say was “Here’s Another Boat You Might Like”
C25 - $1000 obo! Ha

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

FrankV
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
133 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2018 :  12:22:28  Show Profile
I was poking around a little marina and found a much neglected 2000 250. Talked to the marina owner, got hold of the owner and paid $3,200 for a wing keel fully loaded model. It needed about $2,000 of cleaning, moving and bottom paint. Now it shines and we love the open transom. I sold my 1981 Catalina 25 for what I paid for it 18 years ago.

Frank Vaughan
250 WK/SR
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2018 :  19:13:48  Show Profile
First, it's on Ebay -- may just be seeing what the market might bear. Second, if it is with a broker, my guess is that offering 75% of asking will get it. Finally its NOT an inboard -- it has an electric outboard auxiliary so it is more a plane jane than a unicorn!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2018 :  14:15:53  Show Profile
That link changed boats!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2018 :  15:17:08  Show Profile
quote:
That link changed boats!

I thought the other one was slightly overpriced...........

Maybe..... they just hit one too many zeros..............

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2018 :  17:34:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FrankV

I was poking around a little marina and found a much neglected 2000 250.

Frank — it sounds like you found your cream puff. Of course it required a bunch of elbow grease but to got a boat that you like much better for not much more than you can sell your old boat.

Good luck with the new boat!!!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2018 :  08:45:24  Show Profile
Now, from that link, ebay now shows me an '82 C-25 for $15K.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page