Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 Race to Oxford
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/11/2018 :  08:37:57  Show Profile
This is for those who enjoy hearing racing stories.

Last Saturday we raced my friend's Jeanneau 45 from Annapolis to Oxford. Winds were around 25 kts, gusting to 32, skies were heavily overcast, with occasional light drizzling rain. Our skipper is in his mid 50's, I'm 75 and our 3rd crew member is 77. If there was an award for the crew with the oldest average age, I'm pretty sure we'd win it.

We had a great start, hitting the line at full speed and on time. Before the start, we rolled in a very small reef in the genoa and in the mainsail. The winds were a fairly close reach from the start and remained that way down the Bay, until we entered the Little Choptank River.

After the start, we drew quickly ahead of the other boats in our class, and were surrounded by the "greyhounds," such as J105s and J120s, and other racers. We have a huge assymetrical spinnaker for the Jeanneau, but it would have been impossible to control in that much wind, and we couldn't have reached as high as necessary. Moreover, the big boat was hitting speeds up to 11 kts. surfing down the waves, and maintaining 10 kts. for prolonged periods, so we didn't think an assym. would have improved on that.

After about an hour into the race, some of the "greyhounds" tried to hoist their assyms, but they rounded up violently, and, while they struggled with it, we sailed past them. A couple others managed to keep their assyms flying, but, except for one or two really high tech ultralights that blew past us as if we were standing still, we were able to keep pace with the rest.

At this point I should describe the Jeanneau. It displaces about 23,000 lbs, is air conditioned, has a diesel auxiliary generator, a wing keel, roller furling jib and in-mast furling battenless mainsail. It isn't your typical racer. In addition, the grill and dinghy outboard motor were hung on the transom, and we were sailing under the huge bimini for comfort. We didn't look very racy.

When we turned into the Little Choptank River, we rolled in a bit more mainsail and jib, and tacked closehauled up the river. By that time, a very few fast boats had passed us, but we were still alone among the "greyhounds."

We finally rounded the last mark and crossed the finish line first in our class and 16 minutes ahead of the nearest competitor in our class.

After the race we took a little ribbing from some of the high tech racers for our in mast furling and resemblance to a charter boat, but, if our handicaps were figured against theirs, we might well have beaten some of them.

Man oh man oh man was that fun!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2018 :  17:51:11  Show Profile
Nice!

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2018 :  23:03:36  Show Profile
Congrats!! The right sail area can be key! But are you sure you were on the Little Choptank? (Last I was there, Oxford as on the Tred Avon off the (big) Choptank.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/11/2018 23:11:21
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2018 :  05:30:35  Show Profile
You're right. The "Little Choptank" is south of the "Choptank."

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2018 :  07:40:58  Show Profile
Oxford is one of my favorite little towns--my late wife and I looked at homes there and around St. Michaels (as well as Annapolis and Severna Park).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2018 :  09:07:32  Show Profile
Great story Steve! "Old age & treachery usually beats youth & skill"...
When Vern & I won the Nationals on Great Salt Lake we were far and away the oldest crew (by about 20 years).

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2018 :  11:48:01  Show Profile
Oxford was the major tobacco export center of colonial Maryland, but now I think the Scottish Highland Creamery in Oxford MD is the best reason to visit. I've had their fantastic butter pecan ice cream, and another time I tried a juicy peach cone!

Congratulations on your victory, Steve!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page