Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 KTS, and line color schemes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/19/2018 :  16:56:55  Show Profile

I was sailing with my son yesterday, I was using a handheld wind meter. I handed it to him and asked him to read the peak gust. He said "18.3 kilotons!" I said "kilotons?" He replied "It says KTS, kilotons!"

Fun times.

I need to replace all my lines, and would appreciate recommendations on color schemes. I'm thinking:

Main halyard: White, with blue
Main reefing line: Blue, with white
Main sheet: White, with red

Jib sheets: White, with green
Jib furling line: Green, with white

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

WK 727
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2018 :  08:03:17  Show Profile
I re-did my rigging last year and searched colors. It is all over the place with no consistent or logical solution. One would think that ASA or some organization could recommend a standard to follow. Oh well. I did the following:

All reef lines are the 1/4" black. "If the clouds get dark and the wind gusts pull the black lines to reduce sail" is what I tell my crew. (all in clutches led over the cockpit). Head sail rigging to port, main sail rigging to starboard.
Head sail furling - black
First reef main sail - black
Second reef main sail - black with red specks

Next, I chose the silvery grey color on my boat pen striping for head sail and main sail halyards as well as the boom vang. I figure the lighter color for lines used less often and less critical during weather changes.
Head sail halyard - grey
Boom vang - grey
Mainsail halyard - grey

Following that, are the sheets as the dark royal blue matching my boat pen striping for headsail and mainsail sheets. I figure the darker color catches your attention when adjusting the sails for quick reaction.
Head sail sheets - royal blue
Main sail sheet - royal blue

Lastly, technical trimming of sail are the 1/4" yellow.
Main sail traveler - yellow
Any minor trim adjustment lines will be - yellow

Future addition is the chute (probably will have all lines associated with it as the same primary color of the sail such as pink, neon green or orange.

I like having distinct color changes and not have the question "is this teal, blue or aqua? or "is it blue with white, or white with blue?" Simple is always less confusing.

Best of luck coming up with your ideal color scheme! John

Regards, John
Westlawn Institute graduate
Yacht Design and Naval Architecture
04 Catalina 250 WK
Standard rig w/wheel steering
Yanmar 9hp diesel
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2018 :  03:09:04  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I do not believe it really matters what colors you use. Perhaps, having a different color for the main versus jib/genoa sheets makes it easier to distinguish between the two when they get close to each other in the cockpit....but even that is not a big deal.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2018 :  09:11:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

I do not believe it really matters what colors you use. Perhaps, having a different color for the main versus jib/genoa sheets makes it easier to distinguish between the two when they get close to each other in the cockpit....but even that is not a big deal.

I agree, but I think it's a good practice to label each line, so that anyone who crews on your boat will be able to know which line is the main halyard, and which is the jib halyard, and so forth, without having to ask you repeatedly. I use the inexpensive pre-printed adhesive labels from West Marine.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 08/21/2018 09:13:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page