Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Catalina 25 Anchor Locker Project
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chichester
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/24/2018 :  13:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Chichester's Homepage
Hi guys, first I want to thank this forum and in particular, Tomas Kruska for posting his locker project.

It encouraged me to tackle the one on my boat and I got some fantastic results.

You can read, see pics, watch a video here at

www.martinjlaight.com/blog

If life is a river then mine is a lake: dammed at each end by the chores of modern-day living.

Chichester
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2018 :  13:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Chichester's Homepage
If you just want to see pics click on this link.

https://martinjlaight.com/catalina-anchor-locker-and-v-berth/

Thanks, hope it helps someone else.

If life is a river then mine is a lake: dammed at each end by the chores of modern-day living.
Go to Top of Page

Chichester
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2018 :  17:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Chichester's Homepage
Thanks bjoye. And yay, I'm helping folks. Awesome.

Edited by - Chichester on 07/24/2018 17:19:49
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2018 :  12:59:05  Show Profile
Your anchor locker drain setup is an interesting design.

That design might be sub-optimal for my boat. In my sailing venue I weigh anchor and various small clumps of Chesapeake Bay mud fall off the chain into the locker when they dry. Then when it rains the mud slithers downhill to the drain and sometimes clogs the hole. I would like to modify the front-facing drain tube to make it 1/2 inch, like another sailor showed here on the Forum years ago.

But since the problem is out of sight/out of mind, I just wipe mud out
of the anchor locker with a paper towel when I remember!

You don't have MY gooey mud in YOUR lake, I suppose!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Chichester
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2018 :  14:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Chichester's Homepage
Hi John, I enjoyed reading you comment and I appreciate your esteemed input. Here in TN we do not have the mud you speak of, more like, a green slimy goo that sticks to the rudder and prop.

I thought about a filter or even a check valve for those occasional nose dives in a swell. But the lake rarely has any waves worth a mention. So, in a sense we have the perfect conditions for a forward facing locker drain: very little swell and a green slimy bottom that doesn't require any tissue.

Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2018 :  06:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Chichester, that's a great article about anchor locker repair and improvements on your website. I'm glad you included the step-by-step work, not just the "before" and "after" pics.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Chichester
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2018 :  07:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Chichester's Homepage
Hi Leon,

Thank you so much. You are so welcome. I'm thrilled to see so many readers.
I imagine a lot of thru hulls and hose clamps might be sold this year.
I wondered if it would be helpful to point out the hole placements for the thru hulls. I remember stumbling over that for a while. I could easily create a diagram/template. Perhaps I'll do that for next time.

Thanks again for your encouragement.

Edited by - Chichester on 07/27/2018 08:06:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page