Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Swing keel winch handle
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RandyAmy
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/20/2018 :  09:40:47  Show Profile
Finally put our "new to us" 1980 C25 SK that we bought last fall in the water for the first time last weekend.
A small issue we had was keeping the swing keel winch handle engaged to the adapter fitting when raising and lowering the winch. Has anyone made any modifications to the stock setup? Ours may very well be original and the tang on the adapter and groove on the handle worn, although visibly it appears to be in decent condition. I see that CD has these available, just wondering if anyone has come up with a better system.

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2018 :  14:14:55  Show Profile
We've had a swinger for 12 years, and replaced the winch and handle 3 years ago...don't know how old the prior unit was, but the connection of winch to shaft was fine, just the drum was getting a bit too corroded for my likes. It's a bit of a zen thing, you can't rush the connection and need to be deliberate when raising and lowering.

It is easy enough to replace the keyed socket on the winch if necessary.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 07/24/2018 :  22:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Just a suggestion, Randy: check whether the adapter fitting on the winch input shaft is loose and rocking on the shaft. It's supposed to screw onto the shaft, and the set screws are just to keep it from unscrewing, but if the winch was replaced by a PO with a different model (if I recall correctly Fulton makes several models that operate the same way) and the shaft is too small, the fitting could be pivoting and rocking back and forth on the set screws. Also check that the socket on the handle is sliding all the way down onto the adapter fitting so that the tang is fully engaging the slot in the socket. Other than those two ideas, I'd suggest biting the bullet and replacing the handle/fitting combination. You can keep the socket for the next winch (the winch should be replaced periodically, even in fresh water). It's a good idea to have a spare handle anyway, because it's something you can't just run to the local hardware store to replace if it goes overboard (DON'T think it CAN'T happen).

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2018 :  06:41:23  Show Profile
If working correctly, the winch and handle are easy enough to use a 70lb child can lower and raise the keel.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

RandyAmy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2018 :  12:21:09  Show Profile
Thanks for all your replies. The winch itself operates easy enough and seems to be in good shape. I think more than anything there is some wear in the winch handle groove edges and doesn't stay engaged very easily without pressure on it towards winch shaft when operating.
Probably will go ahead and replace handle and adapter.
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2018 :  17:38:54  Show Profile
Erik - I can't say my experience is the same. Our turning ball, pin and cable are replaced every three years, and I follow the recommended lubrication of the winch (which is limited due to the friction brake),and the winch was replaced last year - yet it is a bear to lower and raise the keel.

What do you think I am missing?

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2018 :  19:47:11  Show Profile
Be sure the cable is coming off the turning ball in the correct direction. Can't remember which direction, but do remember it makes a difference. Maybe a previous owner put cable on backwards and you copied the mistake. Maybe someone who knows which direction is correct.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page