Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pop top Lift.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/13/2018 :  11:36:09  Show Profile
I have purchased gas struts for my pop top cabin. I want to ask this forums members if they have had experience with installing gas struts to lift their cabin tops? Things I should be aware of, measurements, hardware installation, etc. Thanks for your opinion and input.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK

jon300c
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2018 :  13:13:15  Show Profile
Hi Joseph,

I have not installed them yet but it is on my list for this winter.

Jon Savage
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2018 :  15:39:52  Show Profile
From CD
The gas springs must be at full extension for installation, so the mast must be down to install this kit.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2018 :  18:50:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

From CD
The gas springs must be at full extension for installation, so the mast must be down to install this kit.

If true, ouch. I had the mast down for a couple of weeks and just put it up last weekend. Also have the CD lift kit (still) in my garage with instructions from my wife to install it. Let's just keep it amongst ourselves.

Personally, I just don't have a problem popping the top without it. I lift with my legs.

I can understand, though, that it would offer some protection from the top crashing down hard.

Of course I don't sail with it up but I do motor and the mast hook did vibrate loose once.
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2018 :  20:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello again,

I haven't had any difficulty raising or lowering mine either and as stated earlier, I do all the lifting with my legs as well. I don't understand what the mast being up or down could possibly have to do with it. The poptop up or down, sure. But the mast..? I just don't get it.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2018 :  20:51:16  Show Profile
Keats...search the forum. I recall Frank Hopper installing the struts with the mast up. He had a good write up on his approach...may have to look in the archives. Also never trust the simple “mast hook”. Far too easy for someone to get seriously injured if it fails. Again search the forum. There have been many safeguards explored from custom wedges to simply tieing a line around the lift arms and the mast to prevent the top from falling. The pop top offers some nice advantages but poses a significant risk, particularly if someone were on deck that could stumble or otherwise place their weight on the top. Always use a safeguard.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2018 :  21:17:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Hello again,

I haven't had any difficulty raising or lowering mine either and as stated earlier, I do all the lifting with my legs as well. I don't understand what the mast being up or down could possibly have to do with it. The poptop up or down, sure. But the mast..? I just don't get it.

Bladeswell

I believe the struts have to be "pre-loaded" which is why they suggest you lower the mast.

I wonder if one could loosen the back-stay and lean the mast forward far enough to get the struts pre-loaded.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2018 :  22:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Back For More,

Oh, Oh, Oh...! Now I get it. The poptop must be pushed forward past where the mast would normally stop it. Good to know sense my boat came with them, but uninstalled. I wonder if one of the struts may be malfunctioning.....

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2018 :  09:05:03  Show Profile
If you wanted to lean the mast forward enough to install the struts, you’d also have to loosen the aft lower shrouds a lot too. You’d probably have to disconnect the backstay completely and use the halyards to support the mast as it cants forward. I’m guessing you’d need something like 30° of tilt to attach the gas pistons.
I recall Frank came up with a way to compress the shocks somewhat to avoid the above. Don’t remember his exact technique but suffice it to say it could be dangerous if you don’t have a foolproof method.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 07/14/2018 :  10:58:11  Show Profile
Thanks for all of your input. If anyone has the CD instructions I would appreciate a copy. The CD price is high for the hardware needed. My struts and brackets were less than $40.00. I will post photos and info., when I succeed installing the struts.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2018 :  05:05:18  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Enchantment II

Thanks for all of your input. If anyone has the CD instructions I would appreciate a copy.

i think i have them on the boat ill check today.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2018 :  05:18:53  Show Profile
CD might be willing to e-mail them to you as a PDF, JPG, DOC, etc.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2018 :  05:56:00  Show Profile
I googled a doc or YouTube on it but nothing came up. For what it’s worth and outfit called the $tingy Sailor offers one :
https://stingysailor.com/tingy-sailor-pop-top-ez-lift-kit/
Sounds like a possible alternative to a strict DIY, and it appears to come with instructions!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2018 :  07:38:06  Show Profile
I noticed the stingy sailor stainless steel bracket sticks out below the roof top where it’s bolted on. To me it doesn’t look very professional and I bet people will bang their heads on it. Pass.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2018 :  12:54:03  Show Profile
Thanks Erik, Bruce, et.al, for the link to Stingy Sailor. I have used them in the past, but did not query their site for the poptop lift info. I think I have enough to proceed. Thanks All!

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2018 :  10:53:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

quote:

Thanks for all of your input. If anyone has the CD instructions I would appreciate a copy.

i think i have them on the boat ill check today.

Thanks Todd!

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  03:36:30  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
haha, i forgot all about this.I'm not going out today i think, but i will be there tomorrow some time.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  03:38:27  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
haha, i forgot all about this.I'm not going out today i think, but i will be there tomorrow some time.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

kwalsh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  10:49:03  Show Profile
All,
I just completed this installation with the kit from CD. I called tech support during the installation with a mind baffling inquiry questioning the instructions on one point, but as usual and after thought provoking conversation the instructions proved out. Catalina Direct has a three CD volume that has a boat load of DIY projects that was made for the C-22, but transfer easily to the C-25. The new Pop-Top kit works great for us! Cheers!

Kevin Walsh
Segelboot
1984 C25, TR/SK
Sail No. 4433
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2018 :  23:41:41  Show Profile
Two things. The CD instruction have the exact engineered measurements of where to place the hardware, and once installed the struts are pretty stiff, but seem to get easier to lift after breaking them in.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

AlMo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2018 :  22:37:47  Show Profile
I don't know about the Stingy Sailor parts Eric is mentioning, but I can attest that the "claw hammer" lockdown brace is businesslike, and located exactly at my head level; luckily stitches weren't needed (tied to slip with "wakey breaky Sunday Slewing" going on) but they *can* draw blood and cause significant pain!

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2018 :  04:29:06  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
checked the boat, i no longer have it sorry.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2018 :  04:30:52  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
checked the boat, i no longer have it sorry.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2018 :  18:20:09  Show Profile
quote:

Thanks for all of your input. If anyone has the CD instructions I would appreciate a copy. The CD price is high for the hardware needed. My struts and brackets were less than $40.00. I will post photos and info., when I succeed installing the struts.

Not sure if the instructions are still needed but I just scanned a copy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8crsgtax7ef7p2/E1812.pdf?dl=0

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2018 :  08:58:17  Show Profile
Thanks Tim, I really appreciate your copy of the instructions. Thank you to all the replies and experiences with the pop top lift. I will keep the Forum updated on this project. Thanks to all.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page