Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Forstay/furler tensioning lever
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

istion
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
14 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/09/2018 :  13:39:42  Show Profile
Every year when we set up the Mast we have great difficulty getting the front Furler attached to the first day attachment at the bow.

Would love to see pictures of any forced daily verse people have designed to make this process easier.

Or if you have a further and have come up with another system to attach it I'd love to see what you have in pictures please

Proud Third owner of C250 wk 2004 Dubhe hull 745

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2018 :  17:01:09  Show Profile
If you have split backstay, make sure one side is detached. If single backstay, you need to loosen the turnbuckle as much as possible.

Furler sag creates resistance, so you must remove the headsail. Even without headsail, sag can still be an issue, and I had a 15’ long extending boat pole that a buddy could use to push up against the sag. But I usually didn’t need it.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2018 :  19:53:52  Show Profile
I posted my solution on this forum in February titled, C250 Backstay Quick Release Lever:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=30853&FORUM_ID=4

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2018 :  20:24:06  Show Profile
Ken,

Your hull 745 and my hull is 793.
I have a single backstay on the Port side.
I use the mast raising system on a Trailrite trailer.

I loosen the backstay as far as possible.
You can also loosen the upper and lower shrouds, but I usually don’t.
Yes, the mast feels like it’s bending when the forestay is in position for the pin.

Russ

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2018 :  07:17:36  Show Profile
Ken,
I don't know what furler you have. I have C250 wb # 702 which came with and has the Schaeffer furler and following is what has worked for me for over 15 years when I raise the mast on the trailer:
1. Loosen turnbuckle on the split backstay.
2. Make sure that the mast raising system strap from the trailer is tight enough to hold the mast up but not so tight that it pulls forward on the center of the mast causing mast bend backwards at the top of the mast.
3. The Schaeffer furler feeder is removed from the furler and the furler is disconnected so that the turnbuckle which is on the forestay is exposed. I slide the furler up the foil and use a bungee stretched across the bow pulpit to hold it up out of the way. Loosen the turnbuckle and pin the forestay. Tighten the turnbuckle back to the tension I want for the forestay and install cotter pins in turnbuckle. Lower the furler. Line up with the foil and attach the feeder back onto the furler. Attach the Schaeffer furler locking strap. Retighten the turnbuckle on the backstay.

With above method I have not had to change the tension of the side shrouds. All stay/shroud tensions can be checked and readjusted later.

Steve

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page