Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 rigging
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnnyd
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/06/2018 :  15:29:26  Show Profile
Does anyone have tips for figuring out the standard and running rigging on a catalina 25? Or should I just pay someone to tell me what I need to fix. Bought the boat a couple of months ago and still need to step the mast. Thanks!!!

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  15:53:26  Show Profile
We'll need a little more info about your particular boat. Year? Standard or tall rig? Also would be helpful to know which keel.

And are you asking about standing rigging, shrouds and stays. Or running rigging, sheets, halyards, boom vang?

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  17:24:31  Show Profile
Without physically inspecting your rigging it is impossible to answer what needs to be fixed or replaced. Maybe someone local with knowledge would be the way to go.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  19:30:21  Show Profile
What part of the world are you in? There is likely a member reasonably near-by or just another 23 owner in your marina that you can learn from and who may be able to assist.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2018 :  19:49:17  Show Profile
Conventional wisdom for replacing standing rigging on any boat except the big boys with rod rigging is 15 years in salt water and maybe a little longer (?) in fresh. Inspection is problematic, because the corrosion that is most likely to cause a failure is "crevice corrosion" down inside the swages (sleaves at the attachments) that only an x-ray can detect. Catalina Direct has full or partial shroud-stay sets that many of us have used and been very satisfied with, and that are price-competitive with what local riggers can put together if they use components of equal quality.

Running rigging is easier to assess... Loads are generally way below the rated strength of the rope used, so you're mostly looking at fraying and wear of the double-braid covers. For sheets, I prefer single-braid such as New England Regatta. It's easy on the hands and coils more easily in the cockpit than double-braid. Stretch is not a significant issue with sheets.

If your boat has the original rope-to-wire halyards, many of us would recommend switching to all-rope (5/16" double-braid), which requires replacing the mast-head sheaves--all of which Catalina Direct has. If the sheaves are original, they're probably deteriorated from sun exposure. Here, low stretch lines are more important--particularly for the jib halyard if you have a roller furler that will be held up all season. That's why wire was used back in the '80s--it's not necessary with today's low-stretch rope.

Welcome, and keep in touch about your new vessel!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/06/2018 19:53:15
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2018 :  03:56:33  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
The description/specs for the standard and running rigging are listed in the applicable Manual for your year boat accessible on the left side of the Forum Screen - "Manuals and Brochures". A careful inspection of your standard rigging especially where the cabling is attached to fittings may visually shows broken strands or corrosion, otherwise what was mentioned earlier, std rigging life is something like 15 years in saltwater and probably longer in freshwater but there are many variables and I would not be surprised if some rigging on boats is way older and still being used.

On my boat, I suspect the standard rigging was never changed out until something like 6 years or so ago..~ 2012, when I had it replaced. The boat was in saltwater for 11 years and then in freshwater after year 2000. I bought the boat in 2005, so the rigging was approximately 22 years old when I had it replaced. I had periodically inspected the rigging and closely at the fittings but seemed okay. Still, age-wise, it was overdue. Annapolis has a number of rigging companies and so at the Annapolis Sailboat Show, I got an estimate from Atlantic Riggers. They made up the rigging and then a rigger came down to my boat, which is on the Potomac River in DC, and changed out the rigging while the boat was in it's slip and with mast remaining raised. He did a great job ! Everything adjusted fine and appropriate lengths.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Sublime
1st Mate

Members Avatar

27 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2018 :  11:49:13  Show Profile
A rigger can look over everything and tell you what needs to be fixed. They can also fix it for you. A local boat yard or marina likely has a phone number for one.

***This post is made of recycled electrons
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2018 :  18:40:47  Show Profile
Terminology check: The shrouds and stays are "standing" rigging, and the halyards and sheets are "running" rigging. We don't care here, but elsewhere you might want to sound like you know...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/08/2018 18:44:06
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2018 :  19:30:08  Show Profile
John, if you’re in Seattle you can find a local sailor to figure out the layout of the lines. How it works, what goes where, etc..

To replace your standing rigging you can order a kit from Catalina Direct or use a local rigger.

Do you need some pictures of what goes where?

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2018 :  07:02:18  Show Profile
I bought the full standing rigging replacement from Catalina Direct two years ago and all the parts fit correctly.
I also checked the tangs and securements on the masttop and at the spreaders and they were all solid.
My chainplates are held firmly in place and bedded so when I raised the mast and tuned up the rig I followed procedures outlined in the “Manuals and Brochures” section. I tightened the rigging finger tight, no need for wrenches or screwdrivers in the bales.
At that time I also replaced my topping lift to hold up the end of the boom when the main is doused. The PO provided an adjuster for the boom. I don’t have a Vang (yet) and use a simple Cunningham.
This year I replaced my halyards in place. I butt spliced the new halyards to the old ones and pulled them through. My sheaves are good.
Last piece I’ve done is the mainsail downhaul and the reefing lines.
I just followed the drawings and info in the brochures.
Works fine...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2018 :  07:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
John D (and other new owners),

If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you get two books by Don Casey: "This Old Boat" (2nd Edition) and "Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual". Getting and reading those might be the best $75 and several days you could invest in your boat. Having that much relevant experience and insight at your fingertips can save you a lot of time and money throughout your ownership of sailboats. Although other Catalina 25 owners here are glad to answer your questions, and can give you detailed info specific to the Catalina 25, reading Don Casey's books will help you discover questions you didn't know you needed to ask.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2018 :  13:38:52  Show Profile
Agree with Leon!

One of the Association officers lives in the Seattle area, and is a helpful, friendly gentleman who may know some Catalina 25 owners and perhaps riggers in the area:

Mainsheet Catalina-250 Tech Editor
David Gonsalves
Duvall, WA
catalina250tech at catalina-capri-25s.org

I was lucky enough to go out for a daysail with David on his C250 one time when I had a business trip to Seattle.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page