Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bottom Paint Amount Used
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/04/2018 :  07:56:52  Show Profile
I just painted my boat bottom.

Sailors ask how much is needed for a Catalina 25, so I thought I would put it out there. My boat has the swing keel.

I used 3/4 Gallon of West Marine PCA Gold Premium Ablative Anti fouling paint. I rolled the paint for most of the boat, my two young sons used paint brushes to paint the swing keel and the trunk area.

Two coats at the waterline. I will let it dry and add another coat to use up the paint, it won't last in the can.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--pca-gold-premium-ablative-antifouling-paint--P016471658?recordNum=3

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2018 :  12:40:26  Show Profile
I use the same paint. I put one coat on my C&C 35 overall each year, and use 1 gallon. I have occasionally used it for a second year without repainting, if the paint isn't too thin. No extra coat at the waterline, because the waterline is seldom immersed and the paint doesn't erode - it accumulates, and I occasionally have to sand the waterline a bit to keep it from becoming too thick. After the boat is about 1/3 painted, I add a little Petit brushable thinner to each roller tray, because the solvent in the paint evaporates, thickens and becomes harder to roll on.

IMO it's excellent paint and a bargain when on sale.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2018 :  14:46:26  Show Profile
Steve , when I wrote I add a layer of paint on the waterline - I meant the Hull part that is underwater where more moss and slime grow. I didn’t want people to think I painted the hull that never gets wet.
Thanks for mentioning that so people don’t get confused.

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2018 :  15:55:02  Show Profile
I add a little Petit brushable thinner to each roller tray, because the solvent in the paint evaporates, thickens and becomes harder to roll on.
Steve, I think you've got to roll faster..

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2018 :  19:05:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander
Steve, I think you've got to roll faster..

It takes me longer because I usually use a 5" smooth foam roller, and also because I'm old, and have to stand up frequently and get blood back into my legs. The paint gets really thick and hard to roll on about halfway through the can. Frequent stirring and a little splash of thinner keeps the paint flowing.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2018 :  13:29:25  Show Profile
Steve, do you feel a need to do a light sanding each year before you re-paint so the paint can grab, or do you just go for it?

(Other than the water line build-up you already mentioned)

And when you do sand, do you do it by hand? The can I have suggests 80 grit....thoughts?

Dale

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2018 :  06:12:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dalelargent

Steve, do you feel a need to do a light sanding each year before you re-paint so the paint can grab, or do you just go for it?

(Other than the water line build-up you already mentioned)

And when you do sand, do you do it by hand? The can I have suggests 80 grit....thoughts?

Dale

I usually just wash it and scrub it lightly with one of these, to remove any loose material, and then paint it. If there's a rough spot or if the paint begins to build up too much thickness, usually at the waterline, I wet sand it. If it gets too thick, it'll eventually start to peel, and then I'll have to strip it off, which is hard work. 60 grit is ok, or perhaps a little finer. PCA paint is soft and very easy to sand. An ablative paint erodes gradually during the year. It sort of dissolves very gradually. If you only apply one coat, it will ordinarily last a season, and it won't accumulate and become thick through the years.

I stripped my C&C 35 to the gelcoat about 8-9 years ago and painted the first coat of antifouling blue, followed by two coats of red. Each year I put on one coat. At the end of the season, the blue will occasionally begin to show through. That tells me that the paint isn't becoming thick with multiple coats, and that's the goal.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2018 :  18:33:14  Show Profile
it usually takes me 1 gallon and a quart to get the job done. Im surprised you get it done with 3/4 for Eric and One for Steve. But I do sand it and recover well.

Maybe Im slopping it on too much.

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2018 :  18:45:49  Show Profile
I put one coat of VC-17m on every year. It takes two quarts.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2018 :  14:43:28  Show Profile
I still got some paint left over, just enough for the Sunfish. Gonna tie the Sunfish up next to my boat this summer after I paint her bottom too.

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

seeverest
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2018 :  06:34:04  Show Profile
I just did the bottom paint on my Catalina 25 it took 3 quarts of VC-17m and I did two coats. I mixed up the paint and put it in a plastic sport water bottle, and that way I didn't waste any paint and didn't have to worry about the paint drying out. I still used a paint tray but applied the paint directly to a dense foam roller and rolled it out on the tray to get the paint even.
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2018 :  17:05:26  Show Profile
I use 1 gallon of black seahawk And one 3/4 gallon of blue. Both ablative and I run it 3 to 4 years. Just did the bottom a couple months ago and it went on thick, wish I had the proper thinner. It was kinda hot out.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page