Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Mooring: WB Keel up or down?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/15/2018 :  18:28:47  Show Profile
I was able to get a mooring ball for the summer on my local reservoir. This is the first season I've done this, should I leave the keel down, or pull it up? The boat came to me with a bottom job, quite worn, it will be interesting to see what kind of growth I get.

Thanks,

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2018 :  04:31:34  Show Profile
I think you should leave it up to prevent movement and wear on the keel from every wave when moored. When I got my boat the pivot hole in the keel to accommodate the one inch pivot pin was worn severely and almost 2" in diameter. This allowed the keel to move back and forth almost 6 inches and severely limited the boats performance.

Leaving the keel up (fully in the recessed trunk) will eliminate excessive wear. This may also reduce growth on the recessed part of the keel that may limit the ability to fully retract the keel in the future.

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2018 :  09:22:56  Show Profile
Thank you for the insight David. I will leave the keel up. In addition to the banging, hadn't thought about the growth issue.

Best regards,

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page