Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Harrowing experience in a climbing harness
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/11/2018 :  17:38:10  Show Profile
Long story short- i am a rock climber and an ice climber. I replaced the topping lift today but wore my climbing harness instead of the bosons chair because it looked ratty... circulation was cutoff in my legs and i was passing out and had to cut loose my safety stuff so i could be lowered quickly before blacking out.....omg

Thats not what i am writing about. We used the winch and the main haylyard to inch my way up the mast. Is there any other way using more mechanical advantage to get someone up besides me using ascenders? Jumar?

Edited by - vdotmatrix on 05/12/2018 22:06:08

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2018 :  13:47:38  Show Profile
For solo sailors - ascenders may be the only choice...

That’s what I use...

Carl

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2018 :  17:21:22  Show Profile
On my current boat I purchased and have used an ATN Mastclimber. In my case, the admiral still tends the spinnaker halyard as a safety line. Once past the upper spreaders I also tie a line around the mast. It is very physical, but they provide a clipped on bag for tools and water or what ever......

Kinda pricey, but worked well.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page