Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 re-staining interior wood trim
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnnyd
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/06/2018 :  13:06:48  Show Profile
I just purchased a 1978 Catalina 25 and want to make the interior look nice. My plan is to use Interlux Interstain and then varnish with Pettit 1015. I am going to remove all the wood trim and sand it down then stain and varnish. Also, looking to replace the existing veneer with a mahogany veneer. Just wondering if anybody has any tips on what to look out for and if its worth doing.

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  13:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi,

When you say,"veneer" are you saying you want to replace the counter tops...?

I made new counter tops and covered them with formica. Same as most folks have at home on their kitchen counters.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Edited by - Bladeswell on 04/06/2018 13:47:49
Go to Top of Page

johnnyd
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  15:00:29  Show Profile
No. I am talking about the walls that currently have a dark walnut color. I would like to either re-stain or replace.
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  16:52:46  Show Profile
I assume you mean the bulkheads and other similar wood finishes.

How bad are they? I would think ripping off the veneer (I believe it's plywood underneath) and replacing would be quite a job.

But, if they have water damage, you'll want to give the chainplates a really good inspection.

I haven't used this yet, but I'd also like to spruce up my finish. I've only heard talk about this stuff being great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DNRH2A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Heard talk that the golden oak is good for not changing the color of the finish much, but we'll see.

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  19:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again John,

Okay, So we are talking about the bulk heads. I don't think you will have much luck with replacing the veneer. Not that you can't try. I have a lot of wood working experience and my choice was to remove the old bulk heads and make new replacements. Here is a pic of the old ones and of the new ones.

I also replaced the partition between the stove area of the galley and the dinette area as well as the small bulk head behind the galley sink. Good luck with your choice and let us know how it goes.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  07:52:20  Show Profile
Note that "Blade" (Guy) hadn't yet remounted the chainplates in the second photo, which raises a point: If you buy new veneered plywood, make sure the underlying plywood is good quality--no voids--since it will be supporting your rig. Marine and cabinet-grade plywood satisfy that criterion. Then don't over-tighten the chainplate bolts--you don't want to crush the wood.

The original veneer is teak, as is the trim around the interior. Mahogany can be a perfectly good substitute, and there might be a stain like light cherry that would help match it to teak without darkening it too much.

A number of folks here have removed the bulkheads and used them as patterns for cutting new ones--it's apparently not difficult surgery (although I can't speak from experience). It's also an opportunity to check the condition of the compression post under the mast, against the port bulkhead.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/07/2018 08:01:46
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  10:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

Good eye Dave, you're right, I had not yet reinstalled the chain plates. And yeah, I was careful to not over tighten them. It wasn't particularly hard to get them out and yes, I just used the old ones as a pattern for the new ones. Before taking them out, I had wrongly assumed they would be 3/4". As it turned out, they are only 1/2". When I went to buy the material, All I could find in half inch, (or any other size) was finished one side only. So it was necessary for me to buy 2 sheets of 1/4" and laminate them up to 1/2" myself. Thereby getting 2 finished sides.
And Dave is very right again about marine grade plywood. For any plywood use on a boat, only marine grade plywood should be used. And even then, always be sure to seal not only the flats but especially the edges. I seal everything with resin and still inspect on a regular basis.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2018 :  08:08:30  Show Profile
I used Restore-a-Finish for 20 years. Very easy to apply. Looks very nice and smells great!

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

johnnyd
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2018 :  16:56:44  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info. I thought about it and am going clean the teak trim pieces. For the veneer bulkhead I was thinking of just painting over them. Maybe light blue to brighten it up a bit. Just hope its not a sin to paint over it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2018 :  19:37:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyd

...For the veneer bulkhead I was thinking of just painting over them. Maybe light blue to brighten it up a bit. Just hope its not a sin to paint over it!!!
How about trying a teak cleaner/brightener first, and see what that looks like? You can always paint it... Unpainting it is another matter.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

mroettersr
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
148 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2018 :  18:54:09  Show Profile
I used teak cleaner and then used Pledge Orange Oil polish. I looked nice with little work and mold and mildew hate orange oil. Little work means more time on the water.

Mike

Mike Roetter
'83 C25 #3568 SK/SR
Marblehead on Lake Erie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page