Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 How to lower/remove the swing keel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

myersge1
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/19/2018 :  18:57:36  Show Profile
I'm going to haul out next month and may have to disconnect/remove the swing keel for repair depending on how it looks once I get it out of the water. Has anyone come up with a fixture/carriage that works with a floor jack or is there another way to safely remove and reinstall the swing keel?

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2018 :  04:19:07  Show Profile
Is it going to be on a trailer or stands?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

myersge1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2018 :  05:31:33  Show Profile
Not sure yet. I have a trailer but I want to do the work on stands. I'm waiting to hear back from the Marina on their recommendation. I know people here have pulled their boat out of the lake on their trailer and then transitioned to stands by either a lift and straps or by placing stands as the trailer is pulled forward. So to answer your question, stands.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2018 :  13:30:05  Show Profile
I recalled discussions on using threaded rods to lower the keel, and tried Searching on "swing keel lower rod" including archived posts... Lots of discussions! At the end of this one, Leon Sisson (a long-time C-25 guru here) also mentions blocking up the trailer and removing the axles to be able to lower and access the keel--an interesting option.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2018 :  13:00:08  Show Profile
I'm in the same situation as you, I'm going to have the yard price me on the heavy work: removing and reattaching the keel. Hopefully not more than a few hundred dollars, we'll see. If it's a lot I'm going to have to figure out some kind of rig... I don't have a trailer.

Threaded rods seem to be a common solution.

I know my PO tried to remove the keel himself to do maintenance and quickly had some kind of issue where the yard had to help him put it back on. Hopefully no damage caused by that attempt, from what I can see so far the trunk and keel seem fine.
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2018 :  16:56:40  Show Profile
I've done it several ways, none is fun. I've lowered the boat onto the keel, I've lowered it with all thread, and I've lowered it with a jack.

If you are removing the keel completely for repair, here is what I did. I built a cradle out of 4x4's that would hold the keel and could be picked up with a fork lift. I had the boat lifted with a crane and set over the cradle. Once it was in the cradle, I pulled the bolts and left the keel in the cradle and had the crane set the boat back on the trailer. Made it real easy for moving around.

As far as maintenance goes, I prefer a jack while the boat is on stands. I don't have enough clearance on my trailer to do anything so I do my maintenance on stands. I block up under the front of the keel so it can only come down so far and then use a jack to get it up. I've got some pictures of my setup. I'll dig them out and post them. Never had any luck with all thread. It seems to bend and never go back up straight for me.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2018 :  17:26:22  Show Profile
Here is the blocking I use while its on stands. Works pretty well over all. Its a lot easier to get back up with two people.

Here is pic of the keel in its work cradle.

In its cradle ready to go back on. This is the only time all thread has been useful for me.

BTW, the keel was finished in stages. Eventually it was fully wrapped in fiberglass and painted. These are some of the in between pics.

Hit me up if you want to talk through the different options.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2018 :  19:38:39  Show Profile
I used the all thread method twice . I built a framework that guided and held the keel safe , you could use Jacks to lower the keel still using a frame work to prevent the keel from falling over . I don't have any pictures .
Go to Top of Page

Frank Law
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
159 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2018 :  19:40:26  Show Profile
I forgot to mention the boat was on jack stands
Go to Top of Page

myersge1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2018 :  19:20:38  Show Profile
Thanks for all the ideas. I love the pictures. I have an idea for a wooden frame much like jduck00's that will work with a floor jack. My plan was to get the boat on stands with the keel barely off the ground, lower the rear of the keel via the cable so half of the weight is resting on frame on the ground, jack the front of the frame up to meet the front of the keel, unbolt the keel, and then lower the front of the keel to the ground. It's a 2000 lb floor jack so it should be sufficient.

jduck00, how did you manipulate the heavy keel to get it cleaned up, wrapped in fiberglass, and painted? I plan on just cleaning and painting but curious how you flipped it over to do both sides?
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2018 :  05:27:46  Show Profile
I did most of it sitting in the cradle. I got pretty much every thing except the leading edge done on the cradle, and finished up when I had the boat on stands. I didn't have any way of moving it once it was in the back of the truck, just had to work around the cradle the best I could.

I did have it sand blasted and primed before I started. The fellow I had do that lifted it out of the cradle with a set of straps and fork lift.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2018 :  15:34:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jduck00

I did most of it sitting in the cradle. I got pretty much every thing except the leading edge done on the cradle, and finished up when I had the boat on stands. I didn't have any way of moving it once it was in the back of the truck, just had to work around the cradle the best I could.

I did have it sand blasted and primed before I started. The fellow I had do that lifted it out of the cradle with a set of straps and fork lift.

Wow, Jeremy, that looks great! Can you discern any difference in performance?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page