Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Restoring hull color on 1987 C25?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Member Avatar

40 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/12/2018 :  14:57:06  Show Profile
The hull color and stripes on our recently purchased 1987 C25 are a bit faded — is there a recommended product to revive these? Or anythIng to avoid? The original hull appears to be a light beige but the bottom has obviously been both blue and red (and maybe something else.) Anyone know what the original Catalina color below the waterline was? Thanks!

“Lucky Duck” - ‘87 C25 Trad. SR/WK #5588
Whiskeytown Lake, CA

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2018 :  07:17:58  Show Profile
The hull below the waterline is white from the factory. The red and blue that you're seeing is probably old antifouling paint.

Maine Sail is a sailnetter who is widely respected for his advice on many subjects, especially on how to restore a faded gel coat finish. Here's a link to his advice. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2018 :  07:33:05  Show Profile
There was a discussion on hull color awhile back. Turned out there was a variety of hull colors to choose from. The majority are white on an 87. Earlier years were an off white, Tannish color. Got any photos?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2018 :  08:18:17  Show Profile

This is an example of the results you can get by following Main Sail's recommendations. Port side is before. Starbd side is after compounding.

This is after polishing but before waxing.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2018 :  11:20:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

There was a discussion on hull color awhile back. Turned out there was a variety of hull colors to choose from. The majority are white on an 87. Earlier years were an off white, Tannish color. Got any photos?

Thanks. I will dig back. I can’t paste a photo here, apparently, and don’t have any on a third-party site. Is there an easy way to post a photo here? When we bought the boat, it appeared to be an oxidized white, but we washed the hull and it definitely looks like a light tan. Brick red (faded) stripe at top and at water line. Below wl obviously was anti fouling paint that needs redoing.

Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2018 :  11:42:29  Show Profile
There were two shades of tan available. One was called "sand" and I forget what the other was called, but that was the color of my boat. It was lighter than "sand" and I ordered it with the thought that white was hard on the eyes in bright sunlight, and that color would reduce the glare. That might be the color that you have.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2018 :  12:41:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Here is a link to my profile on another forum. The thumbnail should give you an idea — it is a light tan (beige) but looks different in different light! ...
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?members/luckyduck.140474/

Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2018 :  13:18:05  Show Profile
That might be the same color as mine. Here's an old picture of mine. It looks white-ish, but if you compare it to the white sails, you can see a shade of difference.

If you'll call the Catalina factory and give them your hull number, they keep the original orders, and can tell you what colors were ordered originally.

Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 03/13/2018 13:21:41
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2018 :  06:17:50  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
here is another issue. I have some (1ft square) areas on the hull that are beigeish. I think someone sanded or compounded through the gelcoat. Whats the most efficient way to fix? regelcoat? paint?

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2018 :  09:13:33  Show Profile
You can use the picture on sailboatowners.com by copying its address (right-click the photo),
clicking the button on the toolbar here, and pasting the address between the ] and the [. Here it is:

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

LuckyDuck
1st Mate

Members Avatar

40 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2018 :  09:53:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

You can use the picture on sailboatowners.com by copying its address (right-click the photo),
clicking the button on the toolbar here, and pasting the address between the ] and the [. Here it is:

Thanks! An update: I provided the hull ID number to Catalina, which said they consolidated their records in the Florida plant and ones from California (like mine) generally are not there. He did confirm our boat was made with “regular white” gel coat color, however the hull is definitely a more beige shade than the top deck. A good cleaning/polishing should tell more.

Whiskeytown Lake, CA
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2018 :  17:52:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

This is an example of the results you can get by following Main Sail's recommendations. Port side is before. Starbd side is after compounding.

This is after polishing but before waxing.

I'm really praying mine comes out looking like this tomorrow when I pick it up from the yard after getting a bottom job and compound and wax.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2018 :  14:00:37  Show Profile
This is what my 1980 model looks like without bottom paint. This is after I stripped the bottom, before I put the barrier coat on.

I found that finish sanding, buffing, and then waxing was the best way to get a good shine.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2018 :  22:20:20  Show Profile
Sanding buffing waxing and all that work sure makes your boat shine up nice. I save the sweat and time by using Polyglow. It’s an acrylic finish that shines without buffing. You can touch it up for a few years but if it gets a little too thick or yellows, you can completely strip it using PolyPrep. I’m doing Passage in a few weeks’ time.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2018 :  08:38:36  Show Profile
I agree 100% with Bruce. PoliGlow comes in a kit with PolyPrep as the initial de-oxidising/cleaner followed by 5 coats of the PoliGlow. Sounds labor intensive but the PoliGlow just wipes on and dries quickly. I did TSU in less than 3 hours total - no buffing, no polishing and no hard work.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2018 :  09:38:30  Show Profile
Here's the Boat Works Today video on buffing and polishing gel coat.

https://youtu.be/8jrrPSjWTnc

Great thread...I'm so happy this forum is here with all the help.

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2018 :  03:40:19  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
My boat only comes out of the water for an annual 1/2 hour bottom pressure wash and then one week every 3-4 years to repaint the bottom. As a result, I do most top works finishing while the boat is in the finger slip and that can be hard to do shimmying along the finger slip trying working wonders on the side of the hull. For this reason, I find using PolyGlow a good compromise - Not quite the shine that you can get using buffing the sides, however, Polyglow is very easy and quick to apply. It last a year and then I wash the boat and remove stains, very little if any oxidation. I then just re-apply the Polyglow - wipe on and wipe excess off. After several years of doing this, I then will use one of their other products to removed some of the old layers which tend to build up with time and have a slight tone to them. That takes a bit more time but nothing like using rubbing compound - The Polyglow products make it a much easier task.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

ryank020
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2018 :  06:16:25  Show Profile
I had used PoliGlow on my 22, which the gel coat had been neglected since day 1 (it was a 1985). Through the two and a half years I had the boat, I never touched up and it always looked great. I had numerous complements on how great it looked as well. Probably took me 2 hours to prep and apply to a 22. However, I never got to the point where I had to remove it, so I cannot speak to that. I am in the same situation with my 25 and will use PoliGlow again this spring.

I wouldn't recommend using on the top-sides because it can be very slippery when wet and seemed to get very dirty from areas where you would lean against it (i.e. the bulkhead was disgusting).

1984 Cat 25 FK/TR #4687
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2018 :  15:29:07  Show Profile
I agree with everyone who has recommended Poli Glow. It is easy to apply and works great. Here's a video of my boat glistening in the water after applying Poli Glow:

https://whichsailboat.com/2016/10/18/poli-glow-works/

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page