Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Bit the bullet
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/24/2018 :  07:37:12  Show Profile
Years ago I when I first purchased Passage [indirectly] from Dave Stinkpotter I kept her at a local Marina chain that has an excellent reputation across the northeast (NY, CT, RI, MA, ME) and my wife and I loved the ease of getting onto the boat [park the car and walk down the dock to the boat, step aboard] as well as the community of boaters on our docks who you'd get to know pretty quickly and liked mostly.
It was a beautiful Marina with well kept docks, a pool, some nice barbecues and picnic tables under a picnic shelter. It was both a marina and a social club in one. Sadly, they raised prices after awhile and one of the managers enforced the rule about leaving the marina promptly at the third week of October or else pay the daily transient rate. I dry store Passage in another Marina closer to home in winter. So finally we left the Marina for the nearby Milford City Marina. Our yearly cost was cut by 1/3 but here's why
Unfortunately their docks are more like moorings - they are 25 foot floating docks that are free standing in the harbor secured to the bottom by lines, chains and screw-in anchors. The docks are great because you can work on the dock if you need to clean the hull or work on the engine, etc. But! you have to dinghy out to your boat every time - there's no power or fresh water out there. Guests can either paddle with you in the dink or wait like 20 minutes on the town dock for you to bring back the boat. Bummer. And last year I fell off the dock, busted a rib and said eff it, no more dink!
So this season we had three marinas in Milford to compare prices and services and while none have a pool, they each offer amenities and great community and their own unique atmosphere. One place is a stinkpotter angler's heaven. Big triple decker boats with downrigger poles. Everyone comes in from a day of fishing and cleans fish and parties hardy. Very homey crowd.Middle of the road price. Next place is a good mix of sail and power with the most extensive docks. The layout makes it a lot less friendly but they offer picnic tables, barbecues and a nice head/shower with ample facilities. Least price but also least friendly. The last place is closest to town, has new docks, is very family oriented and leans more toward sailors. Nice picnic area and features a ships store and a gas dock. While they were a little more costly, being within easy walking distance to town, having a more family crowd and protected parking, we chose this spot for 2018.
No more dinghy, a nice short walk down the dock to the boat, power and water at the boat and an extended season until mid November make this a great choice. But it's 3X the cost of the City docks. I wonder what the consensus is between a Marina slip versus floating on a mooring among our group?
I'll let you know my thoughts come this July or so...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  08:17:33  Show Profile
Bruce: Years ago with an earlier boat I went through the same conundrum: low cost vs high convenience. In the end I joined a yacht club, or in my case it is a "member owned" yacht club so I own a "locker" and pay annual fees for the services I use (such as summer or winter storage), etc. The end result is I am on a mooring, but with a launch service. I have dock facilities for cleaning, repairs, etc., A Jr sailing option which I used when the kids were younger, reciprocals with other yacht clubs, AND the social camaraderie. Virtually all yacht clubs along the Sound -- even some of the Tony ones like Larchment -- are seeking members. You may want to look into that option to see if it is less expensive and/or provides better social options, etc. Meanwhile, enjoy your new home. Not having to row out to your boat in itself will increase the pleasure of sailing!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  08:32:32  Show Profile
quote:
No more dinghy, a nice short walk down the dock to the boat, power and water at the boat and an extended season until mid November make this a great choice. But it's 3X the cost of the City docks. I wonder what the consensus is between a Marina slip versus floating on a mooring among our group?

Up until a few years ago my C25 and my powerboat were docked behind my house on a canal. Of course that is the most convenient, however my property taxes were probably double what I now pay for a slip.

Our boat now resides in a marina slip. Many evenings we go down to the boat, have some cocktails, maybe make dinner. We never did that with the boat parked behind the house. It's like having a second home. I'm not sure we would do that very often if the boat were on a mooring. I think you will enjoy your boat more than ever and find the extra cost is worth it.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  10:39:34  Show Profile
We're at a slip in marina that does winter storage. Full repair and maintenance, hauling as necessary, summer BBQs, music, movie nights, etc....a very pleasant experience - convenience, on demand services and community for 5k a year.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  14:05:01  Show Profile
I've been at the same marina for 10+ years. 2 pools, BBQ pits, 3 club houses with TV's, washer/dryers, heated and cooled restrooms with showers maintained 3 times a day on the weekends, full service yard with Travel Lift. I'm 50' from shore in a 35' X 12' or 14' wide slip on floating docks that were put in new after Ike came through in '07 or '08 and have full length finger piers on both sides. Also have water and electricity at my slip.

The place has beautiful landscaping and mostly friendly slip mates. There's a C25 next door and another directly behind and across the fairway.

Would like for it to be cheaper but I wouldn't move anyplace else. Currently paying $3,360/yr.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 02/24/2018 14:15:50
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  15:49:12  Show Profile
Bruce, You know any Marina On the sound isn't going to be cheap but I like the convenience. I just paid my summer 2weeks ago. Winter and summer comes to @ $5500. I try not to think about it. I justify it by telling myself that I could take a 3-4 day vacation for that price or have an entire 6 month vacation. Also being a year round customer I don't have any dates to haul out by and can go in anytime.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 02/24/2018 17:23:31
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  05:12:49  Show Profile
You guys are lucky to have several choices.
I am at the marina closest to the house. It is the most expensive marina in the area. (within 50 miles) Last March a storm (80MPH winds)blew the marina apart and several of us suffered boat damage. The marina did not repair the docks correctly and they blew apart again several times in 30MPH winds. Finally several slip owners complained to the authorities and they were forced to properly repair the docks. Repair work is still taking place. I got electricity two weeks ago-ten months without it. Still waiting for the water. When I paid my slip fee a few months ago for the year, they raised the cost. I could not believe it. This lake is about 30 minutes from home the last Marina I was in was just over an hour away. We do not have a pool. They park the work barge next to the pump out station so we have an issue there. I have a great time with the sailors on our dock and will probably stay there to continue sailing with them. Other wise I would return to the previous marina which is on a bigger lake with better facilities.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

Edited by - hewebb on 02/25/2018 05:13:42
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  09:56:58  Show Profile
Passage's PO here... When my late wife and I bought her, she went into a "slip" in a town club just off Long Island Sound a couple of miles from our home--friendly and ridiculously inexpensive, but with no finger docks. Mostly small powerboats and a few sailboats... Water but no power... Boats there are connected to the dock with "Frog hooks" that attach to both sides of the transom. (Bruce, that's what the big U-bolts were for.) I added some spring-lines to add a little lateral support. Kind of draconian for a 25' sailboat, but it worked.

While my condo in Mystic has a dock with a slip for each unit, Passage wouldn't fit under one bridge or the power lines nearby, so waited for me in a $marina$ in town, and for my new lady to make it to Mystic in decent sailing weather. Meanwhile, I bought a little center-console for my slip, and used it just about daily. After two years of that, I consolidated the "fleet" to Sarge (below)--she's in my slip a couple of hundred feet from my door.

A marina or club offers things I don't have, and a mooring isn't bad if you have launch service (like Peter's), but I do like being able to walk down and read a magazine in the cockpit while the sun creates artwork in the west, the ospreys dive for fish around me, and an occasional egret or heron fishes from the dock. Everything's a trade-off.

Bruce, you already know you'll love being back in a real slip! As said, it'll multiply your enjoyment of my old girl, Passage. Just write the check and fuggetaboutit.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/25/2018 10:03:09
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  10:43:01  Show Profile
Thanks to all for your great advice on this. I believe i made the right decision.
Peter, I thought about becoming a member of a yacht club or boat club. We have Milford YC which is akin to joining a country club (which doesn’t fit my business profile) or the Housatonic Boat Club, which is much more like your member-owned and run club. Both offer tender services.
Jerry, your marina seems similar to the one I chose. If I did winter storage it would be about the same annual cost. For Northport you’ve got a heckuva deal.
So I’m in! This week I’m going to select a slip (there are a few to choose from) and with an extra low tide (-0.9 MLLW) I should be able to figure out the best spot.
I stopped by my winter storage yesterday and noticed a Zoning Variation request nearby. I get the feeling that my current spot may be sold to developers soon.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2018 :  11:22:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...I get the feeling that my current spot may be sold to developers soon.
There's a lot of that going around.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2018 :  05:56:02  Show Profile
Oh? Marinas being converted to condos? You’re probably right.
My winter storage spot is an old-time sportfishing marina about 7 miles up the Housatonic, a tidal river, from Long Island Sound. It’s really of no use to sailors in season because it’s an odyssey to make the trip plus you have to wait an hour for a busy drawbridge. But it’s a good yard in a safe location for winter storage and I love beginning and ending my season with the trip.
I can do all my own work there like scraping and bottom painting, washing and buffing topsides, dropping the mast, refinishing brightwork, changing the oil, testing the engine. I scrape with a vacuum and a tarp underneath. Nobody gives you any grief.
Other places they’d be right up in your bidness. Not fun and expensive. In the fall when the yard hauls me out they powerwash the bottom. And the cost is well under $800. Hope they’ll be there for a few more seasons. I’ll have to check with town hall on that.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2018 :  09:59:31  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
From 1980-1985, I was in Huntington Harbor on Long Island. I was at a small marina that had limited dock space and most boats, including my new at the time, Oday 23, was on a mooring buoy. They had a water taxi that would bring you out and back to your boat and while the taxi covered many hours of the day, if you came back late to your buoy, there would be no taxi service. So, you either left your boat at one of the docks and they would move it to the buoy in the morning or you would have to tow a dinghy out to your buoy in-order to get back to the dock. So, the few times when the water taxi was not running, the options were not great for late at night sails. Also, sometimes due to very windy weather, the buoy would shift around and there was always the possibility that another boat would be extremely close to or knock your boat, perhaps once a season. Washing your boat was also not an easy occurrence.

In 2005, I purchased my Cat 25 and located at a marina just off the Potomac River, where the Anacostia River intersects. The annual fee for keeping it at the finger slip was more costly that a buoy, there are hardly any mooring buoys in the upper river region and besides, if I had that option, I would still opt for the finger slip. The finger slip has so much more conveniences, washing the boat and getting on/off the boat with no dependence on a water taxi. Even though my present marina has no real other benefits - no pool, etc, you do have running water and option of paying for electric service. It is also more social and there is always someone around the docks, sleeping onboard, etc.

If the costs of a finger slip versus a buoy were 3 to 1, well maybe that would give pause due to the cost savings. But the finger slip would be my first choice and we have floating docks and fingers slips which is also of benefit versus a stationary dock.

In the DC area, construction is going on all over the place. In the near vicinity of our marina (300 slips), the Wash Natl Stadium is not that far away and so on baseball days, traffic, etc is always something to consider but mostly a non-issue. But now they are completing a Soccer Stadium for DC United and the construction has resulted in road closures and circuitous route getting into the marina area...but still manageable. But I am wondering about the inevitable opening day of that stadium and how that will further disrupt traffic since the stadium is much closer to our marina versus Natl Stadium. They also tore down a small derelict marina that was nearby and starting to develop that waterfront area into Condos. I saw a master sketch of how our area will be eventually affected and more Condos, adjacent to the marina will be eventually built but that is probably at least 5 years from now. Looks like the marina will remain intact but I am wondering if some of our ample parking space will be taken away and if the marina will remain under DC Park Control or will be taken over by the Condos. Anyway, I will be retiring next year and at some point, I may desire a different location, perhaps further down along the Potomac River. But for now, and for the past 10+ years, there has been no real change and so the marina is fine for me.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/26/2018 10:01:44
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2018 :  18:00:08  Show Profile
TEM58 - Did you get my response to your email?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2018 :  15:40:07  Show Profile
Boy I didn't know how lucky I am. 28 Ft floating dock, water, electricity, cable and Wi Fi. Downtown dock in Sandusky on the bay in Lake Erie. $1150.00
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2018 :  18:40:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Gary,
Nothing has come through yet. Not sure what the issue may be, my mail account here is the correct one. If you have an opportunity can you send it to meredte*yahoo? The * is @ of course. Trying to fool the bots. Thanks

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  04:49:48  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
My finger slip for the year is approximately $3000 which does not include optional electric hookup. We do have WIFI and water. This is in Wash DC adjacent to the Washington Channel and not that far from the DC Waterfront area. Main draw - It is only about 10 minutes from work.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  18:51:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TEM58

quote:

Gary,
Nothing has come through yet. Not sure what the issue may be, my mail account here is the correct one. If you have an opportunity can you send it to meredte*yahoo? The * is @ of course. Trying to fool the bots. Thanks

Tim,

I'm at Watergate Yachting Center on the South side of Clear Lake.

http://www.watergatemarina.com/

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  20:23:32  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

Gary,

Tim,

Thank you!

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  20:48:30  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gary,

Tim,

Thank you!

I also sent you an email to the address above.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2018 :  04:26:59  Show Profile
So I just got my slip assignment on the second finger about 4th slip from the end. I’m going to check out the water depths this afternoon when we have a lunar low tide. Should be no problem getting in and out.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2018 :  08:14:55  Show Profile
Your lunar low might be skewed a little (or a lot) by this storm pushing water into L.I.S. Have fun out on the dock!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2018 :  10:16:39  Show Profile
Haha, Dave I too would pick a better day.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2018 :  19:09:24  Show Profile
You know?, last week I checked the tidal predictions for 2018 and I searched the form for the string “-0.7” and got several hits, then “-0.8” and got a few hits, finally “-0.9” and got one which was today at 5:43pm. So I figured that’s the lowest low tide we would get this year. Too bad we happened to have a bomb cyclone at the same time.
Oh well I’ll find out more in August and September.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2018 :  20:42:27  Show Profile
Glad to hear you weren't blown off the dock into L.I.S. where the surge and currents might have carried you to Iceland (or Bayonne).

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2018 :  14:52:13  Show Profile
I thought my marina costs were steep! I get charged a little over $3k/yr in Haverstraw NY. It's about an hour drive from me, but a drive I look forward to. Good marina overall I feel and well protected.

If I got a slip closer... you could double or triple that, of course. Lower Hudson is very expensive. I think we priced out Liberty in JC at around $8k? Something like that ....

Luckily, I get a little help from friends with the slip. We split it as we can. I don't think I'd want to be in NY Harbor most of the time anyway, doesn't seem too great for day sails, just longer trips.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2018 :  12:38:30  Show Profile
Ryan,
I used to commute across the Tappan Zee Bridge on the I-87 and on summer afternoons would see dozens of boats sailing around the river. Looked so picturesque! Often there'd be a good southerly breeze building the chop and folks would have their hands full on a close reach with lots of spray.
Seems like a great day sailing place and if you're paying a good deal less, all the better. I have a buddy who lives and winters his boat in that area but sails his 38 footer down to Milford CT each spring and back each fall.
Since he can bluewater sail to Cape Cod, Block Island and he even took a trip to Bermuda last year for the Americas Cup, he prefers easy access to LI Sound and the Atlantic.
Since he's on a floating dock like the one I was on, his summer dockage fee is something like $1500. He and his lady spend most of their time in Milford during the summer, either living aboard, with friends or with nearby relatives.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page