Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Anybody want an $8 hr Harbor master job?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/05/2018 :  16:43:36  Show Profile
I'm shocked that they get $8. Wow.
http://www.glencove-li.us/city-glen-cove-glen-cove-harbor-patrol-announce-harbor-master-job-openings/

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2018 :  19:47:18  Show Profile
All that training... and they "maintain all navigable channels"--with what--a dredging shovel and barge?? I guess they're looking for retirees or ex-cons. Next time I run aground in Hempstead Bay, I'll know why.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/05/2018 19:50:04
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2018 :  22:34:54  Show Profile
Well at least you know where all those tax dollars are going! Imagine, $8.00 per hour to ride around on your boat all day.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2018 :  04:50:39  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I see benefits for some individuals that would be attracted to this type position for $8/hr. First of all, it's seasonal and very part time (100-150 hrs per season) and so this is great for a retired person or for some individuals with summers off, etc and want to be outside for a time and on the water. You are also doing a service for the town and Glen Cove is a nice Long Island North Shore community as is, Oyster Bay and Huntington Harbor which are further east on Long island's North Shore. So you are part of that community.

There are those that join the Auxiliary Coast Guard and they also do a service but it's all volunteer. The Aux CG, is quite different but they also serve the community, assist boaters, spend time outside and on the water. Both the Aux CG and the town position have training requirements but they also receive this training for free and so there are those that see the training as an opportunity to learn something new and different than perhaps what they do for a day job or if retired, then it is something to do, get out of the house, doing something worthwhile for the community and themselves.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/06/2018 04:56:11
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2018 :  08:01:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...$8.00 per hour to ride around on your boat all day.
Not that I've ever seen.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2018 :  09:35:24  Show Profile
That job is not all Rose's. Bad weather, Blistering hot and humid days in a hot uniform, Assisting police or CG in fishing out drownings, Dealing with belligerent boaters etc. Subtract your gas and taxes and there's not much left. It seems that Glen Cove can get away with offering $8 because they are considered municipal employee's and are exempt from minimum wage laws.

Edited by - islander on 02/06/2018 09:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2018 :  09:50:31  Show Profile
That wage is a disgrace. Even fast-food workers get at least $10/hr now.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2018 :  20:41:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

That wage is a disgrace. Even fast-food workers get at least $10/hr now.

Probably why they are have to advertise for a Harbor Master.

Hey Derek... Ready to get back into sailing? I've got a nice C25 with trailer I'm about to put up for sale! Buy it now before I do a bottom job and save!!!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 02/06/2018 20:42:08
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2018 :  21:11:59  Show Profile
Actually as a member of the US Power Squadrons I do my fair share of volunteering. We perform three-four 3-hour Vessel Safety Check sessions on weekends in May and June. We teach the 8-10 hour boating certification courses to new boaters in the spring and fall. We run weekend raft-ups with local boating organizations around Long Island Sound. One of our members herded the cats (state, fed, army corps permitting) to get our harbor dredged and buoys reset last year. Took the harbor entrance from 3.5 ft MLLW to 12 ft and widened from 20 ft to 50 yards. Everyone contributes in their own way.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2018 :  04:56:26  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Bruce - Yes, there are other volunteer organizations as well, such as the US Power Squadrons. Great that you offer your volunteer services.

I guess I do not get the negative comments by some. Perhaps, if one was stuck in the mode or thinking that this position is any way like a full time job and that someone is actually to live their life on $8/hr, I could understand the negativity. But this is a seasonal and very part time work serving the community. As Bruce indicated, the US Power Squadrons serve the community and as volunteers. The Aux US Coast Guard...same thing - Volunteer their time to serve the community. There are countless number of people that provide community service as a volunteer in schools, hospitals, etc. This position is sort of similar in community service but they pay $8/hr for perhaps the 10-15 hrs estimated they would be working each week over the summer seasonal period.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2018 :  05:44:57  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I don't know why but this posting has got the better of me and so I was searching for info as to why $8/hr versus say the minimum wage. Well, I could not find the answer but I learned a bit about the Glen Cove Harbor masters and the service they provide - Two or three articles involving rescuing people from overturned boats, etc.

But I also came across more to the story regarding this original posting to hire addl Glen Cove Harbor Masters. Apparently, they were in the process of hiring these guys but then learned that an impending deadline for getting them all into a 3 month training course was fast approaching. So, they had to call an emergency meeting of the town council to approve their appointments right away so that they would not miss the training course deadline. Anyway, found it interesting - here's the link to the story !
http://www.liherald.com/glencove/stories/resolution-unresolved-at-emergency-council-meeting,99715

I guess with this latest batch of cold weather, I am looking forward to going sailing.

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/07/2018 05:49:37
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2018 :  05:47:38  Show Profile
They are stationed in my marina and from what I gather is that their hours are kept low, Under 40hrs so the city doesn't have to pay benifits. They have a large enough staff to cover the week but each guy gets only a few days. Volunteer s are fine but these guys are first responders and Im a little uneasy knowing that if I ever had an emergency more than likely my first responders are $8 hr municipal employee's.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2018 :  07:17:07  Show Profile
My only run in with them was about 2yrs ago they stopped me for a routine safety check. When they asked me if I had flares I said no but I showed them my electronic strobe for nightime use and my orange flag for daytime. They said I needed flares and insisted on it to the point that I felt they were going to write me a ticket for not having them. I went in the cabin and showed them the CG regulations that I had printed out stating that an electronic signaling devise was an alternate to flares. Honestly I don't think they were very happy that a common boater had to show them the rules nor should I have had to. The city of Glen Cove has their own police dept. During the season they could take a few guys and form their own marine bureau with seasoned professionals but what do I know. I'm just a lowly boater. Maybe its all about the cost.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2018 :  08:01:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

They said I needed flares and insisted on it to the point that I felt they were going to write me a ticket for not having them. I went in the cabin and showed them the CG regulations that I had printed out stating that an electronic signaling devise was an alternate to flares. Honestly I don't think they were very happy that a common boater had to show them the rules nor should I have had to.
Actually, the "electronic signaling device" needs to be USCG-approved specifically as a substitute for flares, like this one. I'm going to get one this spring--they're safer, easier to use, and don't expire. One is all you need. (You got away this time... They probably told the story back at the office and were told they were hoodwinked.)

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/07/2018 08:08:02
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2018 :  08:25:41  Show Profile
Dave, It is CG certified. It's even printed in the plastic housing. I suggest if you do buy one print out the CG regulation and keep it on the boat.

Edited by - islander on 02/07/2018 08:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2018 :  08:45:55  Show Profile
Suppose you get attacked by a drunk or belligerent boater. Will the city cover your medical expenses, and, more importantly, if you get sued for "excessive force" or who knows what else, will the city defend you, or will you have to hire your own legal counsel? I'd want those questions answered before I'd think about hiring on for $8.00. They'll probably tell you that you're prohibited from making arrests or using force, and that's fine, but you have to do something if you're attacked. Being in the right doesn't mean you won't get sued.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2018 :  09:26:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Dave, It is CG certified. It's even printed in the plastic housing. I suggest if you do buy one print out the CG regulation and keep it on the boat.

Gotcha. This is tricky... Plain white strobes can be “USCG apporoved” but not as substitutes for flares. Yours is approved as a substitute—it automatically flashes SOS, it floats so it signals while floatng, and it meets other visibility and reliability standards. There are only a few products that meet the requirements of USCG 46 CFR 161.013. They have to say what’s on yours. Combined with the "!" distress flag, they meet the day/night visual signal requirements for our size boats.

EDIT: USCG "Personal distress strobes" generally DO NOT QUALIFY as substitutes for pyrotechnic signals.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/07/2018 11:00:39
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2018 :  11:24:24  Show Profile
Steve, You have a good point. Being part time you would have to look into that. What still bothers me about my encounter with them was their aditude. When they left they told me that they were going to let me go this time and to have a nice day.I don't think they were happy that me, A lowly boater gave them a little education. I guess that if I ever have an emergency and they show up first they would remember me and say something like ' Oh, It's you'

Edited by - islander on 02/07/2018 11:30:08
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2018 :  09:18:03  Show Profile
GaryB, I miss sailing and especially racing, but my health just won't allow physical exercise any more. I haven't even been to the lake in 3 years.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2018 :  11:13:48  Show Profile
I'm pretty certain minimum wage in NYS is $11/hr...not that that makes much of a difference...

Jerry

Edited by - jerlim on 02/08/2018 11:14:27
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2018 :  12:40:05  Show Profile
I’m thinking that this is really a volunteer opportunity but they probably needed a way to officially deputize you, make you follow certain regulations and certification compliance requirements as a town representative. I think the money may just cover your gas. I’m not sure whether you’d be actually required to risk your life to save another’s, any more than the USCG asks you to stay on scene if you report an incident.
As a member of the US Power Squadrons, I taught on water kayak safety classes. Before I agreed to do it I required that the National Organization offered me a liability insurance policy and indemnified me against claims by students who may get injured during the course. I only did this after a Good Samaritan was sued while offering a similar course for a different organization.
You can’t be too careful in our litigious society.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2018 :  15:55:03  Show Profile
Living across the sound . . . . . I too was sadly shocked at such a low pay. $8.00/hr. is even low for a high school student doing filing over the summer at the Town Hall. Being on the water demands skill, and as has been pointed out, commitment to working in all types of weather conditions while dealing with all types of people. I am sure there are times it is "fun" but also other times when it is dangerous. If they tripled the pay it still would be under $12k for a season, which a community on the gold coast of Long island should be able to afford.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2018 :  19:21:00  Show Profile
But Peter... You get to ride around in an "official" boat, turn on flashing lights, carry a gun (??),... Some folks might pay to do it.

I was stopped by a marine police boat once--I had come to a full stop, waiting for them for 20-30 seconds, when the cop rammed my center console with his anchor roller. I was then scolded for something I hadn't done. I bit my tongue and let him rant. Another time, a marine police boat almost ran over our 17' daysailor (under sail) as he gunned and spun his boat around to go somewhere. We were doused by his spray. He never looked back.

There have been times when $8 seemed about right, if not excessive.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/08/2018 19:21:42
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2018 :  05:35:09  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I have had my own run-ins with the Aux Coast Guard. They were on the dock and asked if I wanted a voluntary inspection. I was just about to undock as we had friends onboard and were taking them for a sail but I was in an okay attitude that day and agreed to the inspection (knowing I had everything within regs). This was no 10 minute inspection, this inspection, seemed more like 15-20 minutes long. Maybe because there were two, one was a trainee. I got into a bit of a debate over life preservers. I had them out !!!! But of all things, they were telling me that I should not have them already clasped but should have them unclasped. I indicated that I did not think the CG Regs says anything about that and in fact, it indicates that life preservers should be accessible which is a vague term to begin with but mine were clearly in the cockpit and some in the cabin up near the companionway. Anyway, I seemed to then getting into debate after debate with each question they asked as the time was mounting up on this inspection. In the end, they then wanted to know if I wanted to join the Aux CG !??

My opinion is that I rather be stopped by the CG, than get a voluntary inspection by the Aux CG. My experience with the CG and boarding my boat for inspection is that they are efficient and I could really talk to these guys and they also had a sense of humor...at least with me.

By the way, I also have the electronic strobe in place of flares. They are the latest which are CG approved to replace the flares....but need to ensure to keep the batteries fresh. Actually, the one time the CG boarded my boat for inspection, they told me I did not need flares because I was sailing on the river and in WASH DC vicinity, the width of the river was below the requirement to need flares.

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/09/2018 05:40:46
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2018 :  19:38:09  Show Profile
Shoot flares nowadays in the Washington DC area and you might get blown out of the water (of course all in the name of national security).

If the CG doesn't get you the FAA will for operating a rocket in a No Fly Zone!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 02/09/2018 19:38:23
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2018 :  10:50:19  Show Profile
Dave -- Ah! I do see your point!!!!!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page