Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Hull 922 - Aft Berth Shelving
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl in LA
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/01/2018 :  09:20:40  Show Profile
Greetings:

Clutter on the boat was getting out of control to the point that you could no longer see the galley surface. A set of shelves in the aft berth seemed to be part of a solution.

The idea was to use some of the dead space around the outline of the cockpit above.

The material is 1/4 plywood with 1" by 2"'s used for fiddles. Dimensioning of the shelves was targeted to match locally available plastic storage bins.

Anchoring is accomplished at the bottom by small blocks of wood screwed to the aft berth sole. Anchor screw lengths were carefully chosen not to threaten the hull underneath the the liner. The top floats free but is constrained by its fit behind the cockpit outline.

As for the cushion that goes on the starboard side of the aft berth - not sure what to do about it yet... one idea is to leave it intact and store it at home for a future owner and just make do with only the port side cushion... another idea is to take the starboard cushion to the upholsty shop and have them cut down the width to re-fill most of the empty space. Temporarally a solution may be to cover the berth decking with indoor/outdoor carpeting. Another cruising idea may be to remove the port cushion slip a twin-size mattress in there...

Clearly I'm no cabinet maker and the fit and finish is rough. Nothing is installed that can't be removed.

It was comforting to "clear the deck" at the galley but I know I'm just moving clutter from one place to another.

Best to all,

Carl

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat

Edited by - Carl in LA on 02/01/2018 09:41:27

FrankV
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
133 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  12:26:14  Show Profile
Wow! Nice job. I guess you don't plan on sleeping there,right? I wonder how many sleep back there anyway.

Frank Vaughan
250 WK/SR

Edited by - FrankV on 02/01/2018 13:43:11
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  13:31:29  Show Profile

Very innovative and nicely executed. Your example of how to use cardboard as a template to fit the actual wood to the contour of the hull is much appreciated.

Do your companion steps swing out of the way? What type paint and color are you intending for the counter and storage area.

We have used and like the 1/2" or 3/4", by 2ft square interlocking closed foam fatique mats instead of the cushions which came with the boat. They work great and in your case are easy to cut around the legs of the counter

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  15:43:24  Show Profile
Frank... appreciate the note... Yes as to sleeping back there - but the solution is not readily apparent to me at this time... No worries - still have many months before needing the berth for extended periods of time.

Zeil... when I read of your adventures I am inspired. Yes - the companionway steps lift up for somewhat better access to the berth... it was reading your adventure/trip synopsis that led me to think about placing a twin size mattress back there... And I appreciate the tip about those interlocking anti-fatigue mats - very good solution.

The paint is some left over tan/beige deck paint I had on hand. Fast drying and tough - but not glossy - so I expect stains to build up that can't be easily cleaned.

Thanks to both for the (unjustified) complementary comments...

Best,

Carl

Edited by - Carl in LA on 02/01/2018 15:45:20
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  20:55:04  Show Profile

Glad that you enjoyed our trip synopsis... we had a lot of fun and now wonderful memories of our 25,000 km, 13 month long trip around the continent. We often visit our trip binder with its sequential stories.

For us to stay organized during our episode of living full time aboard we also added more storage. It made life aboard very pleasant and comfortable. One out-of-the-way suspended shelf on the port side, above the aft berth and aft of the head was very useful for mostly bulky paper items like ship papers, charts, flares, flashlight and misc small stuff.

The interlocking fatigue mats are a great addition. The mats are anti-sliding, will not absorb moisture, and adequate, for young ones, with sleeping-bags and pillow for a night or two. We mostly left the aft cushions home

In case you're planning more storage you may wish to consider this mod...

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  22:33:27  Show Profile
Carl,

Nice project.
Would you consider submitting an article to the Mainsheet magazine?

Thanks, Russ

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  22:45:24  Show Profile
Carl,

A few notes for other readers.
You have a winged-keel, while Zeil has a water-ballast model.
There are several differences between the models.
The WK has a flip-up ladder, the WB is fixed.
The WK has a lower floor, so it has about 6" to 8" more room than the WB.
The WK has a shelf above the stove, the WB does not.

I also noticed your bilge access is much larger in the aft berth.
Did you also add a hinged shelf forward of the sink?

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 02/01/2018 22:49:06
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  08:37:20  Show Profile
Zeil... yes, I would consider a shelf back in that corner... appreciate that tip.

BTW - is that a paddle visible in the bottom of the picture? That would another fundamental item I need to bring on board.

Best,

Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  08:52:12  Show Profile
Hi Russ:

Yup. A wing keel for me. Hopefully I never regret that decision.

I did add a folding shelf going forward from the galley. It still does not have a means of holding itself up and just using a wine box for now. The additional work surface was needed to have space for a dish drainer near the sink.

Interesting observation about the hatch in the aft berth. Its pretty shallow underneath but good for some storage - very at risk for being wetdown that low in the boat though.

Could you please send me an email to plan articles.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

Carl,

A few notes for other readers.
You have a winged-keel, while Zeil has a water-ballast model.
There are several differences between the models.
The WK has a flip-up ladder, the WB is fixed.
The WK has a lower floor, so it has about 6" to 8" more room than the WB.

The WK has a shelf above the stove, the WB does not.

I also noticed your bilge access is much larger in the aft berth.
Did you also add a hinged shelf forward of the sink?

Go to Top of Page

FrankV
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
133 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  15:50:37  Show Profile
I wanted to say thanks for the pics and on-going descriptions. These are really good ideas and they are well done.

Frank Vaughan
250 WK/SR
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2018 :  07:14:12  Show Profile
Something of a closure photo...

Here is the cabinet loaded up with gear.

It's working so far...

I did take the plunge and cut the foam in the mattress to reduce the width to fit the new opening... I did not cut and resew the upholstery fabric just yet - the excess material is simply folded underneath at this time.

The microwave was an accidental fit at that location - the cabinet is sized to match the Catalina galley - and it was just a lucky break that the low power 700w microwave dropped in and fits tight. I'll describe the electrical system that supports the microwave in a subsequent post.

Best,

Carl

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page