Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Water leak
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailboat
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/30/2018 :  17:39:12  Show Profile
We have a 1981 SR/SK dinette version. It is moored in salt water but after heavy rains water collects in the port aft dinette compartment. I can detect no obvious leaks in the hull to deck joint or the cockpit compartments. The deck hardware also shows no obvious leaks. The leak is fresh water and not salt water. The fresh water tank remains at a constant level. It seems to collect on the starboard side along the water tank but migrates behind the companion way steps behind the galley and into the port compartment. The windows are tight. Today I pumped out two gallons so I discount condensation besides I keep an oil filled radiator on the boat to maintain about 55 degrees.

Any ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike
Chariots of Fire
1981 Cat-25. sail number 2230
SR/SK Dinette Version

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  04:34:36  Show Profile
I chased a leak for some time after a rain. It was the water tank vent and fill deck fittings.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.

Edited by - hewebb on 01/31/2018 04:35:15
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  05:28:08  Show Profile
Maybe the companionway boards? When i lived right in front of where i kept my boat, I would go down and close myself in during a big rain event with a book and see if I could start spotting the leaks. There are other methods as well. I've heard spreading baby powder should leave you with a wet path that the water has taken.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  06:43:41  Show Profile
T-track bolts are another possibility.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  12:06:32  Show Profile
Are your cockpit drain hoses and clamps in good shape?

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  12:15:49  Show Profile
Your 1981 cockpit probably drains through little brass tubes that go through the transom. If so, I have heard they sometimes develop leaks. I think Catalina Direct has replacements for them. You can check them by tossing a bucket of water on them and look below and see if you see water coming in.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 01/31/2018 12:16:45
Go to Top of Page

VictorS
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Mexico
32 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  16:35:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sailboat

I keep an oil filled radiator on the boat to maintain about 55 degrees.

Mike, may I please have a reference on that oil radiator (model, where/how did you set it up?)

Thanks,

Victor Salcedo
1978 C25. #453. FK. SR. L.
CTYK0453M78C
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2018 :  18:18:20  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

Maybe the companionway boards? When i lived right in front of where i kept my boat, I would go down and close myself in during a big rain event with a book and see if I could start spotting the leaks. There are other methods as well. I've heard spreading baby powder should leave you with a wet path that the water has taken.

When I first saw the post I also suspected the companionway boards. I have had to make a cover for my companionway boards because in a rain I get water in the galley but...
NOT two gallons. Just two big sponge fulls.
I also have a troublesome leak near the mast. I think it is the radio fitting but even that just leaks a cup or two at most.Two gallons is serious. I would search every tell tale sign of water on bulkheads and any wood near by.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  17:10:43  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replies. As it was raining today (surprise, Seattle area) I shined a flashlight aft under the companionway. There was a small trickle coming from what seemed to be the middle of the dumpster. Maybe it is running from further aft of that because the dumpster itself is dry. As noted earlier windows are tight, no water noted near fresh water vent or fill line, we have a dodger and companionway cover so that is not the issue. I think I will remove the aft bunk cushions and look further aft. There just isn't that much boat to inspect.

Again thanks for all the tips.

Mike
Chariots of Fire
SR/SK Dinette Version
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  18:37:02  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Good luck finding the entry point.
I'm not familiar with the term the "dumpster".
What are you referring to?

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2018 :  21:27:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine

The dumpster is the large cockpit locker on the port side.

Mike
Chariots of Fire
SR/SK Dinette Version
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  02:17:39  Show Profile
I am slowly fixing water leaks (5 out of 6 windows). My latest was the hinges in the fuel locker on port side. The screws went through into the dumpster. A fiberglass channel goes along the edge where the screws were and was collapsing after 36 years. Not a big problem other than they would leak water a lot more than I expected. I got inside and had a buddy spray with a hose and saw the leak real quick. Put new hinges on and relocated the screw holes. Filled old holes with epoxy. Will test next month when I get back down to Florida with the boat.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  08:33:56  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sailboat

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine

The dumpster is the large cockpit locker on the port side.

Oh Ha Ha, I guess it is.
I do try to keep mine somewhat neat with milk crates.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2018 :  21:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
A rainwater leak into the dumpster (aka "sail locker") could be from any of several hardware attachments: the bases of the stanchion are a common source, especially because the side deck serves as a gutter, but there's the winch base, several cleats, and possibly an AC connection jack. But I found that the large cowlings for ventilating the aft bilge areas (including the dumpster) are a significant source of intrusion. Someone here had created a dam across the lower portion of the opening on the forward-facing cowling to prevent water on the deck surface from entering.

But finding a rainwater leak can be at least as vexing as it is in a building, and as a former building contractor I can tell you that water leaks can be the bane of any contractor.

Maybe you could do something like Rob did, lowering yourself into the dumpster during a rainstorm and watch.

Ok, maybe not such a good idea...

Good luck!

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Boomeroo
Navigator

Members Avatar

Australia
128 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2018 :  04:47:56  Show Profile
There are so any places for leaks to occur and with the liners so much distortion on were they pool .
Chalk lines will show where water runs from on flat surfaces it dissolves the chalk line where it crosses . then a few small sponges to fit between the liner and deck on each side of deck fittings etc will give a guide .they stay wet for a while and also can redirect the water to the inside of the liner were chalk identifies it.
Best of luck.

Graeme Bishop boomeroo Australia
C25 SK
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2018 :  08:47:45  Show Profile
There's a foam tape liner around the opening of the sail locker. What does that look like?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2018 :  11:51:21  Show Profile
Foam tape?? Not on my boat. Could be somebody put that there or mine is missing.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2018 :  14:37:25  Show Profile
I am envious that your 81 has dry windows... I've had to rebed mine twice in the past ten years and still need crack filler inbetween rebedding sessions...

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2018 :  16:39:05  Show Profile
Again thanks for all the tips. The hull liner makes pinpointing the intrusion really difficult but the aft transom scuppers could be a problem. Since I leave the swing keel down all the time the boat is slightly down by the bow and water tends to pool in the cockpit so those scupper/drains could be an issue. I have wedged myself in the dumpster while raining and saw no leaks.

Mike
Chariots of Fire
SR/SK Dinette Version
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page