Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Renaming the boat with a kiddy pool
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sublime
1st Mate

Member Avatar

27 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/04/2017 :  23:04:05  Show Profile
Took delivery of my boat the day it was time to pull her for winter.
The current name is not going to work. She deserves better. Do I really need to wait until I splash her this summer to rename her?
I thought about just sticking a kiddy pool of water under her as a joke. I'm not sure if a whole ceremony is needed, but I don't want to invite bad luck either. But gosh that current name grates on my nerves.

***This post is made of recycled electrons

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  05:14:54  Show Profile
I don't think so. Boats are named on land all the time then the ceremony is preformed when the boat is launched. Pay your respects to Posidon, Crack some champagne on the bow and go sailing. Besides it's a little difficult to align and apply a name with it in the water.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  06:17:58  Show Profile
Get a copy (if you Google you will find it) of John Vigor's "Rechristening Ceremony" which can be performed on the hard and, if nothing else will, will provide amusement if not a safe life for the new to you boat!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  08:08:37  Show Profile
So, I did a little research... She's a '77 SR/SK. (Time for an informative "signature" in your Profile, and "Association Member" under your name. )

Inquiring minds want to know: what are her old and new names? Where will she be launched? And finally (probing deeper), what is your background with sailing (besides fishing off the stern)?

Welcome to the best sailing community on the web!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/05/2017 08:09:20
Go to Top of Page

Sublime
1st Mate

Members Avatar

27 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  21:45:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

So, I did a little research... She's a '77 SR/SK. (Time for an informative "signature" in your Profile, and "Association Member" under your name. )

Inquiring minds want to know: what are her old and new names? Where will she be launched? And finally (probing deeper), what is your background with sailing (besides fishing off the stern)?

Welcome to the best sailing community on the web!

Well, I don't want to give out her old name in case the PO is here. I wouldn't want to step on toes. The local sailing community here is pretty small and since I'm new to the forum, well, I hope you understand why I'm hesitant just yet.

I don't mind giving my background though.
The first time I was on a sailboat, I was 9 months old and it was a Catalina 22. Then we moved up to a 33' Hunter which I grew up on and how I wish I had paid more attention to sailing then. But I still have many fond memories.

My father passed several years ago and left me his current boat, another Hunter. Since leaving home, I'd been sailing dingy boats so it was my first very own cabin cruiser.
After sailing that boat for a while, I decided I wanted a "saltier" boat as the one I had was very limited. Great for someone who wanted to just sail around the lake, but I'm interested in more advanced trimming.
At the same time, I moved further up north in the mountains where lakes freeze over in the winter. Since equipment is limited at these lakes, I needed a boat I could pull out of the water with a trailer because cranes and boatyards aren't available. I also wanted something comfortable enough that my two young boys and better half could weekend on. I grew up that way and have many fond memories and want the same for my sons.
Now my Catalina 25 sits in my driveway waiting for me to get a few things sorted on her and for the winter to pass. She needs a good buffing, some deck crazing addressed and the teak needs tended to. She's got a deck eye for one of the stays that, hopefully, only needs to be rebedded. But I'm going to update the hardware to the kit that Catalina direct sells. I've also got to go through the standing rigging to see what needs attention and there's some exposed fiberglass on the transom that looks like it was a repair and never covered with gelcoat or paint.
Honestly I bought her and have had to work on stowing her for winter. Once UPS delivers the materials, I'll whip up a winter cover for her. I'll have some time between better weather and the lakes thawing to address a few things.

Her new name will be Kazoku which translates to "family".

Edited by - Sublime on 11/05/2017 21:59:13
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2017 :  20:15:28  Show Profile
Great story! Love the family tradition... Keep us up to date—this is stuff this group loves to hear about.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2017 :  18:22:24  Show Profile
I doubt seriously that you will hurt any prior owner's feelings regarding changing a boat's name. As a PO I can say that we are all happy that our former aquatic mistress has a good home and is being well treated and sailed. That's what really matters. Names can and often do change.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2017 :  17:47:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sublime

I'm not sure if a whole ceremony is needed, but I don't want to invite bad luck either.

Remember there is no luck, only the 7Ps. As Dave "Stinkpotter" Bristle would say, curmudgeon out.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Sublime
1st Mate

Members Avatar

27 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2017 :  21:54:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

Remember there is no luck, only the 7Ps. As Dave "Stinkpotter" Bristle would say, curmudgeon out.

What are the 7Ps?

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2017 :  22:26:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sublime

quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

What are the 7Ps?
Proper Planning and Practice Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Think MOB drills...

Curmudgeon out.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/17/2017 07:53:41
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2017 :  17:21:21  Show Profile
Can't be any worse than the name of my boat when I bought her.

La Fawnduh! Supposedly name came from a character in the movie Napoleon Dynamite.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page