Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Swim ladder-no latch?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sublime
1st Mate

Member Avatar

27 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/03/2017 :  09:27:24  Show Profile
I just bought a '77 Catalina 25. It has a swim ladder but I don't see anything that keeps the swim ladder from falling down and dragging in the water. Is there something more suave than just lashing it down with rope?

***This post is made of recycled electrons

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2017 :  14:20:59  Show Profile
There isn't any latch. I use a small velcro strap that is strapped around the ladder and the upright stanchion. Just make sure what ever you use it is low enough that you can get to it from the water. In case you fall in that is. Blue strap in the photo. WM has them for a buck or so.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2017 :  16:47:36  Show Profile
Similar to Scott, I use a ball bungee. I have it permanently on the pushpit stanchion with a lark’s head hitch, then wraps around the ladder when in the upright position.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2017 :  18:24:49  Show Profile
Velcro and bungee - God's gift (along with duct tape) to convenience!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2017 :  18:47:07  Show Profile
I use a piece of 1/8" line that is fixed to the ladder, is wrapped around the stanchion and loops down into the water where I can yank on it if I'm in the water. I'd like to be able to rescue myself if I fall in.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2017 :  21:28:29  Show Profile
I have a long piece of velcro tied to the stanchion and around the top of the ladder that makes a loop and is released by a cord hanging down to the waterline.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Sublime
1st Mate

Members Avatar

27 Posts

Response Posted - 11/04/2017 :  22:43:03  Show Profile
Well alrighty. Velcro sounds like a great option then. I think the PO just let it drag in the water. I have some cleaning to do. :/

***This post is made of recycled electrons
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  08:13:50  Show Profile
Mine had just enough friction and tilted just enough toward the rail that it hardly ever (if ever) fell into the water. I figured the easier it was to pull down from water level, the better.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2017 :  09:07:57  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
I keep a throw-line bag hanging from the pushpit rail and I slide it over to the raised ladder, drooping it over a rung. It flops out of the way easily when the ladder is pulled-down, but it provides enough resistance to retain the ladder upright otherwise. Plus, it's always readily available for emergency use. The one I have hangs from the rail by a strap with a quick-release clip. Similar to:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--throw-ropes--P008_242_003_503?recordNum=12

Generally, I think if I ever needed to deploy the throw-bag I'd want to lower the ladder anyway. But I strongly support allowing the ladder to be easily lowered from in the water - even at the dock: I'm more likely to fall overboard at the dock, when I'm doing maintenance, and if I land on the wet side I'd be hard-pressed to climb onto the dock.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2017 :  11:45:28  Show Profile
Lee, A few years ago my Marina installed multiple aluminum pull down ladders on the docks. Good idea but I'm not sure if insurance or some regulation was behind it.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2017 :  19:39:48  Show Profile
I wish our City Dock had installed those ladders. This summer I was stepping up onto the dock when my kayak slid underneath the dock and I wound up in the drink! The docks are all about 12" off the water with nothing, not a line, not a board or a rung to get a foothold on to get out of the water. I called for help and a 16 year old kid (bless his heart) who must've weighed 99 pounds ran over and reached down to pull me out. I was afraid we'd have both gone in the water.
Luckily a jet skier helped me up onto his stern and got me back onto the dock. In all the confusion I seem to have snapped a lower rib (ouch).
I visited the marina office later that day and we discussed what they should do to prevent that happening again. I advised all they need is attach a loop of line to most of the dock cleats and you can readily step into the loop and pull yourself up. The next week the dock hands strung them up as a temporary measure, I hope they'll request funding for half a dozen boarding ladders in 2018.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2017 :  04:29:38  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
My marina also installed those swing up aluminum ladders at the end of some of the finger slips.

The PO had a Velcro strap to hold the ladder against the top of the transom rail. I removed it and hooked up a piece of starboard clamped onto the ladder support about 8-12" away from the ladder swing support. I initially installed a wedge cleat onto the piece of starboard and then attached one end of a line to the base of the transom rail support and then thru the wedge cleat. The line would loosen over time utilizing the wedge cleat and so I eventually replaced it with a small cam cleat. The line is held firmly by the cam cleat and then drops down to a point above the waterline and then loops back up and it's end also attached to the base of the transom support rail.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2017 :  17:49:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

There isn't any latch. I use a small velcro strap that is strapped around the ladder and the upright stanchion. Just make sure what ever you use it is low enough that you can get to it from the water. In case you fall in that is. Blue strap in the photo. WM has them for a buck or so.

Scott, your boat looks fantastic!

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2017 :  18:29:43  Show Profile
Thanks Seth though I give a lot of credit to my PO's. It was well cared for.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page