Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 out board motor mount
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Deborah
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
36 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/19/2017 :  14:21:08  Show Profile
does anyone know of a outboard motor bracket that will go deep enough into the water so that I could use a outboard with a 20 inch shaft.the bracket is as low as it can go and the motor is not deep enough in the water.

1985 Catalina 25 Fin Keel #5160
"Mottley Crew"
Spring Grove, IL

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2017 :  14:47:35  Show Profile
This is the recommended motor mount for C25s:

Sold by Catalina Direct, made by Garhauer.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/691_84/outboard-motor-mount-three-spring.cfm

It has different spring configurations for lighter or heavier motors. However, the real solution is to have an outboard motor with an extra-long 25" shaft.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2017 :  17:13:05  Show Profile
Deborah I have a 8hp 20" outboard and the standard bracket works fine for me
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2017 :  17:58:24  Show Profile
Is yours the like the Garhauer pictured? That was factory equipment on all but some of the earliest C-25s. It has about as long a vertical travel as anything on the market, but depending on the springs and the weight of the outboard, has been reported to be a bit difficult to get into its lowest position. If you buy a different make, you'll need to drill new holes for it, so maybe a more practical solution is to drill some new holes to lower yours by several inches.

FWIW, I sold the 10-year-old(?) 20" Honda 8 that came with my boat and bought a new 25" high-thrust electric start Honda 8 for about twice what I got. (The more recent Tohatsus are a little less.) Just another way to skin the squirrel...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2017 :  15:34:12  Show Profile
20 inches means you plan your exit from the slip so no one is on the bow when your motor is maneuvering the boat, it is bad enough just sitting at the dock. Depending on the motor you can cavitate the prop and burble exhaust to a cacophony level that will startle the marina... hard to sneak in late without waking the neighbors.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2017 :  18:34:51  Show Profile
No matter which shaft length -- 20 or 25 -- there will be times you wish you could get the engine lower in the water. However, there are an equal,if not greater number of times you will wish the engine itself was higher out of the water!!! Even with my 25 inch shaft Tohatsu set not at the lowest bracket setting, there have been times the waves have engulfed the engine. Thankfully it has kept going. However, think long and hard about how low you want the engine bracket to go -- and engine to be -- before swapping brackets!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2017 :  15:53:05  Show Profile
Any motor mount with an 11" drop will not be long enough. When I was shopping for mine, I selected one with a 14" drop. Ideally, buy the Garhauer. Very important to buy one with handle arms that have an angle in them, so the handle will clear the rub rail when you raise the motor all the way up. The Fulton mount I bought was clearly strong enough but had straight handle arms, and even with a 1/2" thick mounting board between the motor mount and the transom, the handle still hit the rub rail.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 10/23/2017 16:03:44
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2017 :  04:47:36  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
If I needed a motor mount, I might look at making or buying one of these, the rhodes 22 sliding motor lift

looks like rhodes converted a c25 wonder if they actually converted to keel centerboard. looks like it is sitting too low on the trailer for that. Anyone know of this boat.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com

Edited by - dasreboot on 10/24/2017 04:53:04
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2017 :  16:48:15  Show Profile
Deborah,
I feel your pain. I recently purchased an adjustable motor mount for a new Tohatsu 8hp 4 cycle outboard with 20" shaft. The mount I purchased had an 11" travel (I didn't check that limitation before purchasing). I'll need a mount with at least 15" or more travel. I've found another mount with a 16" travel. Wasn't sure if I could provide the brand name, but if you "google" 16" outboard motor mounts, you should be able to find it. You could also email me at; fantomgib@gmail.com and I'll send you the details. [my apologies to the administrator if I'm out of line here].

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page