Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Backstay Blocks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/02/2017 :  17:11:39  Show Profile
I have the backstay shown in this picture.

How much tension is on the backstay what rating in lbs do you have to have for the back stay. My current ones cracked and may not have been the right rating.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/pc18.gif

I dont need the wire ones I need the the single block and the block with becket and jam cleat. I dont want to buy the whole rig unless I have too.

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  17:37:56  Show Profile
I have approximately 25 lbs, when measured above the turnbuckle, item 1.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  19:52:21  Show Profile
The picture is unclear, but it looks like an adjustable backstay. The purpose of the C25 backstay adjuster is really to adjust the forestay. When you tension the adjuster, it takes sag out of the forestay. That flattens and depowers the jib, so the boat will point high when sailing closehauled. When you ease the backstay adjuster, you induce sag in the forestay. That powers up the jib when sailing off the wind. In a sense, the tension on the backstay is really of no significance, because there is no sail set on the backstay. What matters is the amount of tension on the forestay, because the jib is set on the forestay, and by changing the forestay tension you can change it's shape to either power up or depower the jib.

The rake should be set and the rig should be tuned with the adjuster set in the position it will be in when at maximum tension. If you want to use a loos gauge to tune your rig, you should check the forestay tension with it, and you should never tension the backstay adjuster to exceed that tension on the forestay. More tension won't make the boat point any higher, but it will risk structurally damaging your boat.

The backstay adjuster should generally be eased whenever you bear off downwind, and re-tensioned whenever you come up hard on the wind. Obviously, you can't check the backstay tension with your loos gauge every time you turn up to windward, so you have to learn to guesstimate the amount of tension that you apply. More sophisticated hydraulic backstay adjusters have a gauge that tells you the amount of tension, but these simple mechanical systems don't have that, and with a little practice, you really won't need the adjustment to be that precise.

It's unclear from your post what exactly is cracked, but if some hardware is cracked, it was probably over-tensioned by a prior owner.

A search should turn up prior discussions about how to use and tune a rig with a backstay adjuster.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  20:10:41  Show Profile
OK so the good news Is that inexpensive blocks with 300lbs tension should be plenty

I would get the same with the stainless steel sheeves. but what size 22 MM 38 MM?

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page