Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Time and tide wait for no man
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/18/2017 :  08:32:35  Show Profile
Sorry for the gothic title, but somewhat relevant.
A good friend in my boat club has been on the water for most of his life. About 30 years ago he bought a Fortier 26 (you can see a bunch here)
He's been a hobbyist lobsterman and avid angler and he's been involved in all kinds of tournaments and races (something called a predicted log race).
Well now in his 70s he's begun to suffer short term memory loss. He still remembers the good old days, but names, dates, places, honey-dos are fleeting.
Now whenever he goes out fishing or visiting buddies at nearby Marina he's 100% in command as captain. He knows all the hazards and the fishing structure by heart.
But his dear wife - who's only looking out for his welfare - wants him to stop boating, sell the boat and chill. I get it, but that's so sad. He's kind of resigned to it so he'll reluctantly follow through.
Obviously he's still has a lot of friends with boats so he's not totally dead in the water, and you know what they say: if you don't have a boat, you should at least have a friend with a boat.
So now, he's one of these guys who's like freakin' meticulous. The boat is a cream puff. It's one of those New England style north eastern boats with a high bow, plenty of freeboard and can deal with a lot of sloppy weather.
Question is, how best to market it? Of course there's Craig's list, the online boat show, brokers, etc but I'm wondering how to target the Tony-est of Long Island Sound "Gold Coasters" who may like it as their dink!
For those here who know the types with their 100ft yachts with the helicopter landing pad tied up in Oyster Bay or the Mianus River how do you market to them? Take out an ad in the Robb Report?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 08/18/2017 08:34:51

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2017 :  08:53:06  Show Profile
Bruce, I'm afraid to say that the upper crust don't buy used.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2017 :  09:21:58  Show Profile
I know you were kidding, but the Fortier 26 isn't a tender for anything... It's a fishing/party boat--a little like mine except heavier and more traditional, with its inboard and semi-displacement hull.

The Darien Boat Club, for example, has had (and may still have) several Fortiers, so members know what they are and admire them. He could put up a listing in some local clubs...

But I have to say he'll probably do as well or better with a broker than on his own. Potential buyers know the market for Fortiers, and would expect to buy for less without a broker. The broker will have it on Yachtworld and is connected to other brokers, so people all over the region will know about it, and they'll know that other people know... A broker will also take a lot of the hassle and risk out of doing the deal. S/he knows how to weed out the tire-kickers and deadbeats.

I bought Passage through the seller's broker--didn't sell her that way, because our Swap Meet did the job in under 24 hours!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2017 :  16:50:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Bruce, I'm afraid to say that the upper crust don't buy used.

Touché hahahaha

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2017 :  16:56:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

... The Darien Boat Club, for example, has had (and may still have) several Fortiers, so members know what they are and admire them. He could put up a listing in some local clubs...

... A broker will also take a lot of the hassle and risk out of doing the deal. S/he knows how to weed out the tire-kickers and deadbeats.

I believe you're right on that Dave. We discussed putting up flyers in all the Yacht Clubs in the area, but it's a big job, a lot of hassle and he might save very little.

And, the classic nature and pristine condition of the boat are it's main features. A broker can certainly sell these more effectively than my buddy...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2017 :  18:50:27  Show Profile
I have known a few "over the top" wealthy who have older, mint condition less impressive boats (read, no heliports) because they like them. I view Craigslist as where you get rid of your Chevy -- not your Porsche. I would first go the boat/yacht club route and then advertise in places like Points East or Wind Check or Soundings -- and then go the broker route.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2017 :  19:46:36  Show Profile
I'll just say a lot of serious buyers are also sellers (of sailboats by older sailors going over to the "Dark Side"), and therefore already have brokers. Brokers want to be on the buy-side as much as the sell-side, and vice-versa, so they have their eyes open. The Fortier 26 is an absolutely classic "Dark Side" transition for about-to-be ex-sailors.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/18/2017 19:48:08
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2017 :  13:48:59  Show Profile
Being a salesperson for much of my life i can tell you that for every boat there is a buyer. All that is necessary is time and a willingness to work with others in the deal. Don't hesitate or provocate just cooperate and encourage. Some one will want to buy that boat just help them to do it!!

Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2017 :  07:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Slim,

I just happened to notice, your boat is a "78" and numbered 1040. My boat is a "79" numbered 973. I am wondering how this can be.....?

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2017 :  08:16:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

...I just happened to notice, your boat is a "78" and numbered 1040. My boat is a "79" numbered 973. I am wondering how this can be.....?
Maybe we need to see the HIN's for both boats. Here's the format.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2017 :  09:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Dave,

I know mine is right because of everything I had to go thru to get it registered in California. Had to go get an inspection from the California Highway Patrol's VIN officer. All because I noticed that the registration I got from the PO was using a number that made no sense at all. It is now registered with the Hin etched into the transome. If I were at the boat or at home, I would supply the HIN here.
Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2017 :  11:47:31  Show Profile
The confusion can come from the "M" format shown in that link. The "M" means "model year", followed by the year, which might be the calendar year after the boat was built. The final letter is the code for the month of the build--if it's November (D) or December (E), then it was almost certainly built in the calendar year before the model year--just like a lot of cars. The post-'84 format clears all of that up--in the illustration, C3 means it was built in March of 1993, and 93 is the model year.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2017 :  22:33:12  Show Profile
[/hijack]
I had a chat with my buddy today and suggested he consider taking one of three tacks:
* Create flyers with a few nice shots of boat coming toward you in the water showing bow and eastern type freeboard and aft profile with stern at the dock. Distribute the flyers at all the yacht clubs nearby.
* Use a broker as they can actually provide pointers to increase the selling price of the boat, justifying their commission and they can protect the seller from vultures
* ID some top tier magazines and associated websites and sell with pictures.
I agree, it's about matching buyers with the right product. Most of these approaches will do that.
I also said "DON'T RUSH!!!" While we still have 3-4 weeks of summer here in CT, people start thinking about winter layup and the costs...
Even if it's $2K for layup, you can more than make that up on an eager spring time buyer rather than a skittish fall buyer.
It's generally a buyers market in the fall and a sellers market in the spring. He's had the boat for 30+ years, another 6-9 months is no biggie!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2017 :  21:01:35  Show Profile
My buddy is going to talk to the broker on Wednesday. Probably his best bet.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2017 :  06:58:13  Show Profile
On Yacht World, the asking prices for a Fortier 26 are wide ranging, from the high $20s to the low $50s. He should definitely talk to a broker in his area.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page