Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 2017 Hurricane Season
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/15/2017 :  06:33:42  Show Profile
I'm glad I'm not on my way to Bermuda this week! A friend recently returned from his trip to see the Americas Cup and visiting with friends there aboard his 42 foot sailboat. He said he and his crew hit a line of thunderstorms on the way back, but nothing they couldn't handle.
Now Gert is out there as a category 1 churning up the waters. The most we should see along the Atlantic Coast this week are big waves (woo-hoo!) and rip currents (boo).
It's still only mid-August, I'd say we have 50+ more days of significant tropical storm potential ahead. While conditions across the tropical Atlantic are generally not conducive to storm formation, it only takes one to ruin your day.
For those out east and along the Gulf Coast, stay tuned to the National Hurricane Center for updates.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2017 :  17:34:19  Show Profile
Sneaky Pete, or should I say Harvey!!! I've been watching this disturbance since it's formation in the windward islands a week and a half ago. Since then the storm became a tropical depression, then a tropical storm, then it was downgraded to an area of instability then as it accelerated toward the Yucatán peninsula it spun up into a TS. Now, after it traversed the peninsula it regenerated into a TS, and hooked to the northwest. With 85° waters in the Gulf, it's now slated to hit the Texas coast as a major hurricane. This means 100mph winds for Galveston and moving toward SanAntonio and Austin. Hang onto your hats dear friends!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2017 :  17:59:59  Show Profile
Well for once I did something right! A little over a year ago I took the boom, mainsail, and 150 gennie off the furler. Sooo... today I didn't have to mess with that part of making the boat ready for Harvey!

Still took me 3 hours to tighten the rigging so there's no movement in the mast, unload the boat, tape up all the places where water could be blown in. Heat index must have been 110 degrees and the humidity 150%. It was brutal.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2017 :  18:17:53  Show Profile
Gary: Hope you're out of harm's way on Harvey's way in... The scary part could be if he wanders back out into the Gulf--then the Houston area could be in harm's way. We'll be watching and pulling for everyone in Texas. (I've been in some huge frontal storms in the midwest, but I have no idea what 2' of rain is like!)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2017 :  04:56:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Well for once I did something right! A little over a year ago I took the boom, mainsail, and 150 gennie off the furler. Sooo... today I didn't have to mess with that part of making the boat ready for Harvey!

Not sure if that's doing something right. That just not using your boat

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2017 :  07:00:01  Show Profile
Hitting on what Dave mentioned about the erratic path of Harvey, hence my moniker "Sneaky Pete". The storm seems to be wandering and the predicted path is all over the map. If he keeps his predicted major hurricane strength after initial landfall it will not be pretty - the winds and particularly flooding will be the main destructive forces.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2017 :  08:09:58  Show Profile
Looks like they have her hitting near Corpus as a Cat 2-3 around midnight tonight, then bouncing back out and crawling up the coast toward Houston as a tropical storm for the next few days. 6-12' surge and 15-30" of rain in 105-120 mph winds--hard to imagine! Hope NOBODY is there!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2017 :  09:45:09  Show Profile
Good luck to you guys in Texas. I hope you have prepared the best that you can.

Having been through Hurricanes Charley, Frances, Jeanne and Wilma, (even though Wilma didn't hit us directly), you are in for a rough next few days.

One of the things I noticed during those storms wasn't necessarily the strength of the storm, but, the duration of the storm. Charley was a fast moving, intense storm and caused a lot of damage. But Jeanne was deadlier overall, as it slowly churned across the state.

Damage to the Everglades coast line from Wilma is still visible today twelve years later.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay

Edited by - Davy J on 08/25/2017 10:03:32
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  16:52:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Gary: Hope you're out of harm's way on Harvey's way in... The scary part could be if he wanders back out into the Gulf--then the Houston area could be in harm's way. We'll be watching and pulling for everyone in Texas. (I've been in some huge frontal storms in the midwest, but I have no idea what 2' of rain is like!)

Thank you guys. Last night was a little sketchy with hours of monsoon rains. Rain gauge showed approx. 8" early this morning but luckily we've had a reprieve most of the day (knock on wood).

Another round of heavy rain tonight is forecast.

BTW... where the boat is located there was an official wind gust report of 71 mph about a 1/4 mile my from my slip. Will be days before I can check on the boat but my slip is 14 or 16' wide (can't remember) X 40' long and the boat was centered in the slip and had two lines per cleat so it should be good. I'd taped up all the openings as well.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  19:02:39  Show Profile
Sadly the Texas coast and inland will suffer for several more days. Two stationary high pressure centers held captive by the jet stream will prevent substantial movement of the storm, so it will sit and churn till Wednesday at the earliest. My heart goes out to all our friends there.

I watched some footage in a marina where many boats were fine, a few were sinking and some with sails still attached (furlers mostly) were blowing in the wind. I hope all were insured and the insurance companies make good on their promises...

Another potential storm is forming now over central Florida, and has the potential to move out over the NE coast of Florida, then into the warm Atlantic offshore of Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina in the coming days. Water temps in this part of the Atlantic are about 85*, so rapid formation is likely once offshore.

Keep an eye on the NOAA Tropical Weather Outlook as I cited above as "Gert"

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  04:19:38  Show Profile
Mike's Weather Page a great site for watching the tropics...puts multiple web pages in view and just a click away. If you're on Facebook and like or follow him, he comments about the different models and which ones are working better this year.

http://www.spaghettimodels.com

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  06:37:37  Show Profile
Tom, this looks like a great site for all things tropical. The sea surface temperature map is scary, lots of red (30°C+) temperatures way too far north. Imagine water temperatures in the mid 70°s in and around Cape Cod and Maine? Unthinkable!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  11:47:23  Show Profile
That FL low is now off the GA coast, with "70% chance of tropical cylone formation". Time to keep our eyes wide open on the Mid-Atlantic a New England coasts.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  11:51:54  Show Profile
Wow--Harvey just doesn't know when to leave! The next three days down there are looking unimaginable!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  12:06:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

That FL low is now off the GA coast, with "70% chance of tropical cylone formation". Time to keep our eyes wide open on the Mid-Atlantic a New England coasts.

Yep...I'm leaving FL Tuesday heading towards Boston. Looks like a wet trip.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2017 :  17:16:52  Show Profile
25-1/4" of rain in a little over 2 days in my backyard. Forecast is for another 15 - 25" by Friday. I hate rain!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2017 :  14:53:35  Show Profile
Irma....Lots of potential.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2017 :  18:07:23  Show Profile
In san diego we only deal with fires and Santa Ana winds. Hope all fares well.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2017 :  18:56:46  Show Profile
GaryB, we're all thinking of you and others in your region. Horrible what you mare going through. I've sailed at Clear Lake and the Bay. Stay safe. Things can be replaced, people cannot!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  08:13:10  Show Profile
Not that this is exclusively a C-25 topic, but Irma appears headed north of PR and the Bahamas and toward the east coast.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  09:01:37  Show Profile
When I first saw Irma coming off Africa I got the same feeling I got about Sandy. Hope I'm wrong. There's another unnamed right behind Irma.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  17:35:57  Show Profile
The weather forecasters are being unusually casual about Irma. I too see some similarities to Sandy, and do not expect the anticipated route that the Weather Channel reports of her heading out into the Atlantic missing everyone, etc., etc. If I were a betting guy I would wager on her hitting land around Carolina and then working her way up the coast. Something to look forward to next weekend!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  18:05:04  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your concern! It is appreciated.

Ended up with 42-1/2" of rain over a 4 day period. I have never seen it rain like it did during this storm. Heaviest thunder storm rain you've ever seen that lasted for 6 - 8 hours straight 3 nights in a row. It rained a moderate rain from Tuesday morning non-stop to Wednesday morning.

I've never reacted psychologically like I did with this storm. It was maddening and it put me in a different state of mind. I think I now know what water-boarding must feel like.

Haven't been down to the boat yet. As mentioned above there was 71 mph wind gust 1/4 mile from the boat. Got an email from the marina and supposedly all but a couple of boats made it through with no problems. They said the affected owners had been notified and since I was not contacted I'm assuming I fared OK.

Going to try and go down tomorrow to remove the tape sealing the hatch-boards and move the boat to my new slip.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 09/01/2017 18:06:23
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  18:22:37  Show Profile
Gary

Hope and pray that the worst is over. Don't fret about the boat, but do give your family big hugs!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2017 :  17:33:44  Show Profile
Gary, Glad to hear you and your peeps fared well.
Regarding Irma, I'm with Scott. I checked out the great website called "Mike's Weather Page" or www.spaghettimodels.com and I can clearly see all models converging the storm onto the NC Outer Banks in about 5 days' time, or Sept 7th or 8th. At a current Category IV, this is a hellacious storm, and if it remains out at sea until that time, it will be very ferocious.
Harvey was a Cat IV, but the worst of it was when it was "downgraded" to a Tropical Storm, when it dumped the equivalent of 20 days of Niagra Falls on Texas!
It appears the main danger to coastal NCers will be wind and tidal surge (which can be mollified somewhat by passing over the barrier beach), but the real danger is when Irma moves inland up into the West Virginia hollows and mountains and the Ohio River valley.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2017 :  12:12:20  Show Profile
Bruce, not so sure that the track will go inland impacting W-VA and the Ohio Valley. Seems more often than not if hurricanes land in the Carolinas they bounce up the coast. I fully expect the Northeast Coast will feel more of Irma than the Ohio Valley.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page