Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Source For Switches On DC Fuse Panel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/09/2017 :  10:21:53  Show Profile
Does anyone know where to get individual switches for the OEM DC fuse panel on an '87?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2017 :  10:33:55  Show Profile
Do you have toggle switches with the black plastic stick-type handles or do you have flat rocker switches? On CD they feature mostly rockers but also show a metal handled toggle switch. If I were to order the legacy type switch, I'd order 7 to replace them all for consistency. If you have an electrical supply shop in your area, they'd probably be able to match one pretty closely to the original, and it would not have a "marine" price premium. They are all single pole single throw switches (SPST) rated at 120VAC and 30A, so they are not exotic. Alibaba may have them too.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2017 :  14:54:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Do you have toggle switches with the black plastic stick-type handles or do you have flat rocker switches? On CD they feature mostly rockers but also show a metal handled toggle switch. If I were to order the legacy type switch, I'd order 7 to replace them all for consistency. If you have an electrical supply shop in your area, they'd probably be able to match one pretty closely to the original, and it would not have a "marine" price premium. They are all single pole single throw switches (SPST) rated at 120VAC and 30A, so they are not exotic. Alibaba may have them too.

They are the stick-type handles. Thank you for the information and advice. I'll pull a switch off and see if I can get replacements.

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2017 :  20:58:24  Show Profile
Here's something that would work in my panel ok.
toggle switch

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2017 :  10:18:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Here's something that would work in my panel ok.
toggle switch

Thank you, Bruce - I just ordered them!

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2017 :  16:20:41  Show Profile
Well, the new switches are really nice but did not fit. The backside of the switch is larger than the original switches. To make them fit, I'll need to cut away more wood behind the panel, which I'll probably do sometime later. In the meanwhile, I realized I could easily wire the positive lead going to the Service switch to the "bus" on the panel. I like not having the DC service switch, which is redundant when you have a battery selector switch. I'll get a bolt to fill the hole in the panel too.

I need to get a new Service light bulb. Does anyone have a source for that bulb?

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16

Edited by - sethp001 on 08/22/2017 17:09:25
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2017 :  05:09:46  Show Profile
quote:
I need to get a new Service light bulb. Does anyone have a source for that bulb?

Seth, I doubt you can find the exact replacement but this should work and its LED. Check the size of the hole in the panel.
They just press into the hole and are held there do to the tight fit.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--led-indicator-lights--P009_273_003_509

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2017 :  07:56:32  Show Profile
What, exactly, does the indicator light indicate? That there's power available at the panel?, or that the service switch is turned on?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2017 :  08:39:03  Show Profile
Both, Shows that the panel is powered up like the main switch in a fuse box in your home. Turn it on and there is power to all of the switches. Turn it off and all of the switches go off. Master switch. Catalina didn't equip the boats with 1-2 off battery switches. Instead that switch disconnects the battery from the panel. The light is just an indicator that the switch is on or off. If you have only one battery like me then that switch is all you need. No reason to have a battery selector switch. Seth has a battery selector switch so he is eliminating the service switch but wants to keep the indicator light so he can just look at the panel to know if it is powered up or not. He will turn the panel on or off with his battery selector switch.

Edited by - islander on 08/24/2017 09:00:41
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2017 :  09:36:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

quote:

Seth, I doubt you can find the exact replacement but this should work and its LED. Check the size of the hole in the panel.
They just press into the hole and are held there do to the tight fit.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue-sea-systems--led-indicator-lights--P009_273_003_509

Thank you, Scott!

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2017 :  10:26:29  Show Profile
ack elecrtonics in Atlanta had the exact size the last time I checked about a year ago.

www.acksupply.com

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  12:37:30  Show Profile
And sometimes you move on to something new, possibly in a new place. The switches in our boats were made when rotary dial phones were in use. New stuff is way better. Remember this stuff is out there.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2017 :  15:18:31  Show Profile
Analog meters?

Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2017 :  20:27:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

And sometimes you move on to something new, possibly in a new place. The switches in our boats were made when rotary dial phones were in use. New stuff is way better. Remember this stuff is out there.

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2017 :  20:50:08  Show Profile
quote:

Analog meters?

Very nice looking upgrade! Analog gauges are a nice touch. I'm in the process of a similar task aboard my '85 C-25. Replacing entire electrical subsystem with Type 3 wiring and lamps with LEDs. Plan is to keep wiring out of the cockpit locker by routing most wiring along starboard deck/hull seam area and relocating new panel similar to what this owner did. This will also reduce the boat cable run from the battery to the DC switch panel. I may need to use an occasional run of wire channel adjacent to a cabin bulkhead. Does anyone have a suggestion for this sort of wire channel? Thanks!

Arnie W.
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2017 :  03:08:36  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I found that the electrical wiring to the original switch panel below the steps was not only overloaded with addl behind the panel jumpers connections that were short circuiting but the panel is just not located in a sailor friendly location. I added an addl panel with 8 switch circuit breakers made by BEP onto the front panel below the sink. Then moved most but not all circuits to the new panel, leaving my VHF, DC plug adapter outlets and perhaps one addl circuit on the original panel. Now I can switch on my nav lights, steaming light and anchor light while I am still in the cockpit. I also added a new circuit for 2 fans and moved the interior light circuit to the new panel. I removed all the unused wiring. This was all accomplished soon after the mast wiring was all replaced. Addl photos including behind the panel wiring on my website.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/25/2017 03:09:15
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2017 :  15:03:20  Show Profile
quote:

Analog meters?

Fine work! Wondering how difficult it was to remove the section of shelf trim in that area. I'm looking at fabricating a similar panel. Thanks!

Arnie W.
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  04:02:10  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Shelf trim ?

What I first did was to carefully measure clearances between the sink and the fiberglass front below the sink. I then checked various switch panels that I was interested in to see if the behind the switch dimensions would, when installed, provide adequate clearance from coming in contact or to close to the sink bowl. I went with the BEP panel - manufacturer believe is from Australia. There is approximately 1/4" - 3/8" clearance from it touching the sink bowl but as an extra precaution, I attached thick rubber tape to the underside of the sink bowl that came closest to the panel internals to ensure no chance of an electrical safety issue. I then used a Dremel tool to make the cutout for the new panel into the fiberglass front below the sink.

One issue is that the loose/slack wiring to the new switch panel can fall into the top drawer below the sink. On my website are addl photos and one of the photos shows the Plexiglas sheet I installed above the top drawer. That keeps the wiring safely resting on the Plexiglas above the drawer. The negative bus bar, where I located it, is also shown in the addl photos.

The only real negative to locating the panel where I did is that possibly kids could fiddle with the switches since the switches are very accessible.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 10/02/2017 04:09:08
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  17:44:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

That's a really nice box and panel setup, Frank. Blue Sea Systems products are excellent.

I'm curious about how you mounted your box to the liner. Metal brackets? Wood fillets glued?Please would you share more details?

Seth
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page