Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Boom vang
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/05/2017 :  14:47:59  Show Profile
In the past few weeks someone mentioned that they felt a boom vang is indispensable on a C25 for sailing on any downwind tack.

Others talk about the pluses and minuses of a preventer.

The other day we had some great 12-15 kt breezes out on Long Island Sound and I tacked up on a close reach going out for miles. I knew I had to "pay" for it later coming downwind.

At that point, I put out my Genoa on the starboard side and let out the main on the port (technically a starboard tack) wing-and-wing and looped the sheet underneath the forward end of my stern pulpit (where the lifeline snaps on) as I usually do and I got the best of both: a built-in preventer that keeps the boom at bay (even if momentarily backwinded) and it also pulls the boom downwards by the far end preventing the boom from riding up.

In 12 kts of breeze I was exceeding 5kts on a run! Woo-hoo what a hoot!

No need for two gizmos (vang and preventer) to go wrong independently.

Has anybody else used this technique? I don't use it very often but it's never failed me yet.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2017 :  07:42:57  Show Profile
I don't see how that would work as a preventer but might help in the vang department. Do you have to disconnect the sheet to get it under the stern rail or am I not reading it right?

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2017 :  08:52:15  Show Profile
Hi Wes, My stern pulpit has four stanchions, one on the starboard side, one on the port side and two one the transom. About 4-5 inches or the railing sticks out forward of the port and starboard stanchions where you attach the gates for the lifelines going forward. I don't have a photo of mine in the Catalina 25s/250s gallery that shows it, but I can probably find someone else's photo that shows it.
Here's what I do: I disconnect the snap on the gate, I let the boom out most of the way, then I loop the sheet underneath that 5" railing tang, then I snap the gate onto the railing, then tighten the sheet enough to counter the force of the wind. The sheet pulls the boom downward enough to prevent it going up, and it keeps the boom from swinging very far inboard if it does get back winded.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2017 :  09:37:05  Show Profile
Here is the link to a photo I took of Passage. photo
If you look closely just above the letter "A" in Passage you'll see the detail of the stern rail that I'm talking about.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2017 :  10:42:44  Show Profile
Nice trick, Bruce! How did the stanchions handle the shock of an accidental jibe in that strong breeze?

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2017 :  12:52:04  Show Profile
No matter what you rig up, nothing is ever going to replace the usefulness of a boom-vang on the C25. With little to no traveler, the second you ease the mainsheet you are losing the whole shape of your sail. For such a simple piece of hardware that is standard on practically every sailboat for a reason, I can't see justifying not having one.

All you have to do is set the vang for the sailing conditions and ease the sheet to set the angle of attack without loosing your sail shape. All the traveler is needed for is centering the boom if you're really trying to point. To each their own though.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2017 :  18:52:18  Show Profile
The stanchions are pretty robust as are the gunwales. As you say, there's definitely a shock load due to a gybe but the boom swings 5 feet max, and never crosses the cockpit. I usually keep my hand on the sheet to lessen the shock, but sometimes it gets away from me.
When wing-and-wing, I cleat the mainsheet pretty tight, so the main sail doesn't move a lot. If it gets back winded on occasion, I just tweak the tiller and the main and boom swing back into position.
Even going that fast at 4.8-5.2kts on a run, the ride is remarkably smooth and stable!
I used to use my vang a lot when I used to sail my 16 ft daysailer downwind, but being a centerboarder, it was always prone to rolling, oscillating really, on a run. My approach was to tack downwind in those cases as she would plane on a broad reach out n big waves.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 08/07/2017 18:57:12
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2017 :  18:53:06  Show Profile
I am a huge fan of the vang and a preventer. I even bought new genoa sheet cars so I could use the old ones for preventer lines on mid ship cleats. I sailed almost a run from catalina to san diego that way a few days ago. 5.25 knots average. Took 16.5 hours.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Edited by - Akenumber on 08/07/2017 18:54:07
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2017 :  19:01:56  Show Profile
Ken, I'd agree that sailing in the open Pacific Ocean is a lot different from flying around my harbor in Long Island Sound. Out there you'll want to take every precaution possible and get every bit of insurance that nothing goes wrong!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2017 :  11:28:12  Show Profile
Like Ken, I also bought additional genoa track cars with standup blocks (all purchased at Minnie's Yacht Surplus in Costa Mesa, CA at a big discount) and I have 2 permanent preventers along with my rope boom vang. When I need them, they help.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page