Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Air Conditioning Advice needed.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sailynn
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/20/2017 :  19:04:52  Show Profile
We live in CA, are retired and live in the mountains and travel 2 hrs to use our boat kept at a marina in Stockton, CA. for six months, where we are members of the yacht club. In the winter we snowbird to AZ for six months. Due to summer heat 100 degrees plus, we sometimes go weeks without visiting our boat in Stockton because of health issues in heat. We don't have any options for moving the boat due to cost. We were considering selling the boat, until I got the idea of adding a portable air conditioner to the boat. We have searched the internet and youtube for ideas for units under $500, portable under 35 pounds. Also searched this forum. Any suggestions?

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2017 :  11:13:41  Show Profile
The cabin of a Catalina 25 is significantly smaller than any room in a house, so advice on the purchase of portable air conditioners for home use may not be relevant. In any case, Consumer Reports always does a good job of comparing products fairly. Here is a review of 10 of them. And here are ratings and prices for 18 portable air conditioners.

We inherited a 30" tall portable air conditioner (on wheels) from a relative, and it works great, although it seems to weigh about 50 or 60 pounds without the window adaptor.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2017 :  11:24:30  Show Profile
Some membersa have had good results mounting a 5k window unit a/c in the companionway.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2017 :  14:33:43  Show Profile
There was a small discussion on this not long ago. I really like Franks set up, Definitely more permanent but also out of the way.http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30457

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/21/2017 14:35:48
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2017 :  20:46:22  Show Profile
thanks everyone for the comments and links. our 87 wing keel has the "dumpster" area behind the galley sink/ice chest on port side, and my husband uses the stbd. quarter berth for sleeping. i don't know if we could manage stepping over a unit sitting on the threshold. next trip to boat we will measure storage area under/behind the steps, galley area and cabin port and starboard area under seats. 107 degrees at the boat so may be a while.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2017 :  12:51:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sailynn

thanks everyone for the comments and links. our 87 wing keel has the "dumpster" area behind the galley sink/ice chest on port side, and my husband uses the stbd. quarter berth for sleeping. i don't know if we could manage stepping over a unit sitting on the threshold. next trip to boat we will measure storage area under/behind the steps, galley area and cabin port and starboard area under seats. 107 degrees at the boat so may be a while.

The secret to my permanent mounted AC was the TWO fans that sat in the open hatch to the dumpster. The dumpster needs to be empty which was easy for as I had two dock boxes at my slip. One fan blows down and sits forward in the hatch, the other sits aft of that fan and blows up, (sucks air out). This set up dissipates the exhaust heat and humidity from the AC. On one boat a had a double window fan that worked, on the next boat i used 9" high output desk fans that worked better. Occasionally I would need a spar fly to cover the area if it was raining. You have to have an empty dumpster and good fans and you are golden, I bought 6.5K BTU units with remotes. Here are the fans in a small hatch I had laying around, they fit in the dumpster hatch better.

I also had a refrigerator on both my 25's. Three things made my C25 a small yacht, Air Conditioning, a refrigerator and a double bed.

Enjoy your boat... BTW my boats were always sailed often and fast.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 06/28/2017 11:55:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page