Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 ANOTHER STRAY CURRENT DEATH
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/17/2017 :  21:37:12  Show Profile
Put-In-Bay. The dog fell in the water and appeared to be struggling. Dad jumped in to rescue the dog and appeared to struggle. 19 y/o son jumped in and also appeared to struggle until a bystander told the wife to unplug the shorepower. Dog and husband survived.

It is sad every time it happens. I have seen adapters in shore power receptacles with household extension cords running to boats out there. I don't know if I will ever find out if it was the boat or the marina system with the ground fault - that's not news.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2017 :  12:29:23  Show Profile
I don't think it's clear that a 3-wire extension cord would be worse than a shore power cord--either should trip a GFCI if a short goes to the ground wire. But if an engine/prop shaft is sending current into the water and the system isn't bonded, I'm not sure the GFCI will detect it. And if it's in fresh water, the current will be attracted to the living bodies, which are more conductive. Suddenly your arms and legs won't work, and you drown.

I recently ordered a voltage test around our condo's dock. It's not quite as dangerous in salt water, but...... In fresh water, it should be at least an annual check around any dock with power. I've even seen voltage in the water apparently coming from a utility transformer on land.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2017 :  05:56:47  Show Profile
Heard a report on NYC News Radio about an electrocution from touching part of an active Travel Lift while the person was swimming in a lagoon behind a home in Toms River, New Jersey Sunday. Tom's River is located not far from where northern coastal NJ faces NY Harbor. It's brackish tidal water.
It's one more reason that a full three wire disconnect is needed in electrical equipment near the water.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2017 :  21:34:01  Show Profile
My reading was it was a private boat lift--not a travel-lift. Anything electrical near the water is suspect.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  16:33:21  Show Profile
Dave, you're right. People have to learn that professionally installed and jury-rigged electrical stuff near the water's edge poses a constant risk. Again, a simple circuit breaker will not totally depower a circuit. There should be a law that says the hot, neutral and ground all must be disconnected to avoid another tragedy.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  17:24:43  Show Profile
I should have been more clear: I have seen 2 wire, indoor extension cords hanging in the water between boats and shorepower. Monitoring that should be at least as important as stopping a boat and counting pfd's.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page