Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Acquiring a Catalina 25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sscott7
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
1 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/10/2017 :  03:24:34  Show Profile
Hello All,
A gentleman at my local marina is giving away his Catalina 25 to someone that will sail her regularly. I'm that someone unless someone else takes it first. I have one question. I'm searching for a air conditioner unit and can't find squat on the internet fora reasonable unit. Does anyone have any advice or this type of boat? I saw a post that had a makeshift cooler air conditioner. But I live in the desert and it get 120 degrees on our lake. I need something that will keep my cabin cool. I will become a live aboard if I get the boat. Thanks in advance, I'll keep you posted if I end up with the boat.

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2017 :  10:46:57  Show Profile
Is the boat sound, or is he giving away a hornet's nest of problems? If you are getting the boat for free, you should have funds for a good a/c. Search marina suppliers for one that sits on the deck over the forward hatch. One member also added a 5k btu window unit to his C-25 under the cockpit facing the quarterberth. To use it he had to leave the port cockpit seat hatch to the "dumpster" open. That's what we call the storage area under the port cockpit seat.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2017 :  10:56:52  Show Profile
I have a 5000 or 6500 Btu window unit I set in the companionway and drape a tarp over it to seal out the heat (sorta). It will cool the boat down from 95 very humid degrees to the mid to lower 70's much less humid degrees in less than 25 minutes.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2017 :  20:33:10  Show Profile
I assume you didn't post here to get into this line of questions and comments, but what do you know about this "free" boat? And what's your background with sailboats--particularly keelboats in this size category or larger? David and I (and others who haven't spoken yet) ask because people here and elsewhere have stumbled into "amazing opportunities" that turned out to cost them more than buying a reasonably "well-found vessel" would have.

If all you want is an air conditioned place to live on a dock, that's one scenario. If you want to be able to sail her safely and some day to sell her (rather than pay to scrap her), that's a different one.

We just want you to be satisfied with your choice--in the longer run. "We're all ears!"

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2017 :  17:15:53  Show Profile
I am one of those who got a "deal" (aka free) and spent a small fortune in addition to the many hundreds of hours of "TLC" required. In my case it was a great bonding experience with my then very young son who has become a very competitive sailor. Would I do it again? Most likely, . . . .but . . . lessons learned: 1. check structure (keel bolts, soft deck, mast comprehension post, etc.) 2. Check systems (standing rigging, running rigging, winches, sails, electrical, etc.) Put a SWAG estimate to fix any of the above, multiply it by 4 and you have your next few years budget! If the bones are good, then look at the a/c and other creature comforts.

Now, I am not trying to kill your enthusiasm, and I also know that some gems are out their dirt cheap. I am currently looking at upgrading and have been amazed at some great 30 ft boats, including some Catalina's, that are available for a song and in pretty good shape -- all because of either owners age or owner is moving up and must sell the old toy to make room for the new. You may well have a solid boat that will provide years of great service, but just . . . . buyer beware!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page