Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New to Catalina's and sailing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JustMike
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/04/2017 :  17:00:59  Show Profile
Hi,
Thought I should say hi and introduce myself. I am the new owner of an old Catalina 25 and have lots of questions I'm hoping the good folks here will help me out with.

I've had my eye on this boat for 7 years. When I started dating my girlfriend I would always pass this field with a sailboat in the middle of it just sitting there. Never covered or moved. I didn't even know what kind it was.

7 years later my girlfriend is now my wife and the boat is still sitting there. So I met with the owner. We looked it over, I only saw 2 problems, no outboard and a broken roller furler which I know nothing about. So we agreed on a price and I brought it home where it now sits in the driveway.

So I've spent the last two weeks buffing and polishing the hull to get rid of the oxidation. We got the mast down off the pulpits onto sawhorses. All the running rigging is rotted and has to be replaced. So that's the next project. Looking forward to getting her squared away and on the water.

It's a 1983 standard rig fin keel. And the last time it was registered was 2001. So I have my work cut out for me.

SR/FK

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2017 :  19:50:14  Show Profile
You're winning!

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2017 :  19:51:40  Show Profile
Welcome Mike!

What's your background and experience with sailboats? And where will you be sailing her? (Minnetonka?) In the general case, I would suggest having a professional survey (ideally as a condition of purchase, but you're past that...) For a few $hundred, you should learn a lot about the condition of the hull, decks, rigging, electrical systems, sails, and even the outboard--giving you a priority list for what needs or just wants to be addressed. You can participate in the survey, ask questions, and (from my experience) learn some things. And for this age of boat, some insurance carriers require a survey to approve coverage--especially for an "agreed value" policy. It might seem like a substantial investment relative to the purchase price, but it could pay off in safety and in your plans for the investments in your restoration.

For future communications here (which will give you some terrific support), I suggest creating a "signature" in your profile, so your vintage, keel, rig, and optionally motor, interior (traditional, dinette, or "L"), sailing venue, etc., are automatically part of each posting you make. You'll see them below most of the entries here--like this one. "Standard rig, fin keel is simply "SR/FK" here. The objective is to get more specific answers to questions you ask--without having to provide the information each time you ask.

And next: Join the association--it's the best $22 you'll spend on the boat--supporting the support you'll get here. It's arguably the best sailboat owners' community on the web! It definitely played a part in my decision to buy a C-25, and I don't even own it any more but I'm still here.

Finally, get to know Catalina Direct--a third-party supplier of parts and upgrades for these boats--they know the boats and their quirks, and supply parts, upgrades, and "kits" that in some cases even include tools you can return to them. Their C-25 Owner's Handbook ($20) is essentially their catalog for the boat, but also full of good advice and information, and is updated for free annually. Good folks, decent prices, and a great resource.

So, welcome to the community!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/04/2017 20:07:40
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2017 :  09:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Mike,

And welcome aboard. Everything Dave, (Stinkpotter) said is spot on. And your boat is not so old. As it happens, mine is a 1979 and when I bought her she had not been in the water for three years that I knew of. another year and a half in a storage yard where I worked on her before putting her in the water. And the work continues. I wouldn't be very concerned about the line just yet. Thats one of the easy fixes. Work on the more important things first. Make a priority list and try to keep to it. and becouse you are just starting on her, all nuts, bolts and screws should be stainless steel. Bronze, (not brass) would work but not as strong as stainless. Again, welcome and best of luck. It's a labor of love with great rewards.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2017 :  18:03:39  Show Profile
Welcome to the world of Catalina 25s. Best move you could have made, especially coming here for advice. My #1 concern is the through hull fittings. Bronze is better than plastic, and through hull fittings are better than "to hull fittings", common in the earlier C25s. Remove and check your hoses and especially your hose clamps. Two each for every connection.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2017 :  20:05:57  Show Profile
Speaking of thru-hulls, I'm not sure about what the 1983 vintage had... Earlier years (at least up to 1981) had what we call "to-hull" fittings, which are threaded bronze pipes screwed into a hole in the hull with a "mushroom" of epoxy around it on the inside of the hull. Attached to the pipe is a 'gate valve" with a round handle. There's no flange, or plastic or bronze mushroom on the outside. These pipes can disintegrate in the holes or pull out of them over time, and the gate valves rely on rubber washers and packing around the shafts, like old-fashioned faucets in homes. The whole thing is a recipe for a sinking boat.

By 1985 (my boat), Catalina was using thru-hulls that had flush-fitting flanges countersunk on the outside of the hull, and plastic ball valves inside--much more secure. I don't know about the 1983... Look inside and outside at each of the generally two fittings--if you see only a hole on the outside (nothing surrounding it) and a glob of epoxy around the fitting on the inside, this should be a priority upgrade. Here's a PDF from one of our owners on doing the job. (I found it in our Technical Tips section. I think there are some other descriptions there.) Catalina Direct sells Marelon thru-hull replacements, ball valves, and a kit with backing plates, etc. Hopefully you don't need them, but we want to keep you floating!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/05/2017 20:09:57
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2017 :  23:17:36  Show Profile
Welcome! As you can tell, we are all excited for you...and want you and the skipper to have a great experience.

I rely heavily on the advice and experience found in this community, some of which was learned "the hard way" by others so I don't have to. Come here often, and read threads even if your boat isn't experiencing that specific issue. I have learned of so many preventive maintenance tips reading things that I didn't think were relevant for my boat, but probably would have been some day . Thanks to what I have learned, hopefully I will avoid many of those things. :). (I so often say "I didn't even know that could happen!" while reading these posts! Lol!)

So again, welcome, and I look forward to reading of your adventures.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2017 :  00:19:55  Show Profile
Welcome aboard!
You probably already know this, but this group is very generous with information and advice. I hope you will have many enjoyable hours with your boat.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2017 :  07:03:55  Show Profile
One more thing... We talk here about maintenance issues, upgrades, design "quirks", etc... But the C-25, like all Catalinas, is a solid, well-built, heartily rigged vessel that has given thousands of people decades of pleasure. The many here who have brought one back from disuse and disrepair have enjoyed them even more.

This group is arguably the most supportive single-model (well, three models) community on the web. Ask any questions--there are no "dumb questions"! We all started there at some time, and we all still have questions!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2017 :  13:00:07  Show Profile
I see that west of the Denver area is Dillon Reservoir that has a sailing school and marina(s). There are photos online showing some sailboats on moorings there. It looks like a pleasant sailing venue. Is that where you plan to launch your boat, or keep it there?

The drive uphill to that mountain valley with a boat on a trailer is probably not for the timid. You would be driving past Keystone or Breckenridge ski resorts and some amazing mountains.

Or are you planning on taking the boat somewhere else?

Good luck with fixing up your boat, and welcome to the Forum! Like Dave has mentioned, joining the Association is an important step in keeping this community strong and vibrant. I personally have reaped easily 100-times the cost of membership, in terms of saving money on maintenance and repairs, and particularly in terms of expert sailing skills and even visiting other members on their boats!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2017 :  14:36:11  Show Profile
My 84 boat had to-hull fittings, not thru-hull, but did have sea cock valves, so your 83 may have the same. If the valves inside look like garden hose fittings at your house, seriously consider replacing them. With the fin keel, you are going to have a very top-heavy rig when you tow her somewhere. Be sure you have a F-250 or GMC 2500 type truck when you do move her. If you do not own one, U-Haul commercial does rent that class of truck with a class III hitch.
When you get closer to launch time, be sure to ask about or search in this forum about strap launching.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 06/12/2017 14:37:42
Go to Top of Page

JustMike
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2017 :  05:36:38  Show Profile
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! This is a friendly group. As suggested I joined the association and have been hitting the resources suggested. Catalina Direct and Defender are getting a lot of my business.

To answer a question I'll be sailing her down at Puebla reservoir. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to haul it up to Dillon or Frisch. I tried sailing and Frisco once and the water was down so low it was nothing but tacking. And up there it's a pretty short season.

So far I've replaced all the halyards and the turnbuckles for the shrouds. The tiller handle needed replacing so I picked up a replacement at Catalina Direct. Sadly I discovered the roller fueling unit was trashed and it's so old replacement parts are no longer available. Ouch. Scrubbed the deck which went well. Tried to buff the hull which went bad. Do NOT turn the polisher up to 6.

Looking at the rest of the standing rigging I have a request though. I can't figure out how the backstay attaches. It's split but I don't see any hardware to attach it to the 2 straps on the stern. Would someone mind posting pictures of how their backstay attaches to the stern? Thanks in advance! I'll post pictures when I figure out how to do that.

Thanks again for the welcomes!

Just Mike

SR/FK
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2017 :  08:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again Mike,

I assume you will want to replace your furler. Go take a look at National Sails site. For $1500 you get a brand spanking new CDI furler and a 150% Genoa. I don't think you will be able to beat that deal. My boat came with an Alado furler and I am very pleased with it so far. I truly believe that its simplicity is its success, both in installation and useage. Just Google them up and watch their installation video as well as their sailing video. Add West Marine to your list of suppliers but check out other peoples prices first as they are pricey. Best of luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2017 :  07:51:41  Show Profile
My 84 also has to hull fittings except for the head discharge. And welcome aboard. Great boats.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Edited by - Akenumber on 06/17/2017 07:52:24
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2017 :  10:24:08  Show Profile
quote:
I can't figure out how the backstay attaches. It's split but I don't see any hardware to attach it to the 2 straps on the stern. Would someone mind posting pictures of how their backstay attaches to the stern? Thanks in advance! I'll post pictures when I figure out how to do that.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2017 :  13:53:16  Show Profile
Mike,
Our stories are similar although we found ours in a barn. Fortunately, the interior was like a time capsule but we did end up purchasing new running rigging, main sail, engine, furler and a few other (expensive) things. The more time I put into her the harder it will be if I ever move on to something bigger, which the admiral has planned.

Since we purchased our C-25 and started sailing, this site has been our sole source for advice and support. Great group of folks.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page