Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Storage aboard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/29/2017 :  11:56:56  Show Profile
On our boats it's all too easy to create a clutter fest. With limited storage and all the just in case items we carry I'm surprised my boat does look like a scene from the show "Hoarders".
On the storage side we have:
1. The bilge below the Vee Berth
2. The cabin seat(s), either the port settee or the dinette seats
3. The bilge under the quarter berth
4. The dumpster
Other optional storage areas include:
5. The space in the qb under the cockpit floor behind the companionway ladder
6. The cooler in the galley
7. The shelf beneath the port side head portlight
8. The cupboard under the head sink
9. The door underneath the galley port side drawer (galley thru hull)
10. The Vee Berth
Given all these nooks and crannies it should be possible to store everything neatly and be easy to find everything

But sadly, in my case, it just ain't so ...

Here's my inventory of stuff:
1. Life jackets
2. Fleeces, hats and jackets
3. Swimsuits, tee shirts, shorts, water shoes
4. Tools, parts, adhesives, sandpaper
5. Spare anchor and rode
6. Lines, docklines, halyards
7. Wiring, lights and electrical
8. Inflatable liferaft
9. Boat poles
10. Cleaning supplies, spray bottles, oil and lubes
11. Brushes and pole brushes
12. Pots, pans, camp stove
13. Whiskey, bible, overnight kit
14. Nuts, bolts, shackles, pins, screws
15. Floats, snorkel, mask, fins, fishing gear
16. Sunscreen, bugspray, bandaids and first aid
17. Drinking water, food and snacks and a cooler
How do you organize your stuff, what have you done away with and how do you keep it all straight? Have you added a closet, a cupboard, Rubbermaid buckets, plastic storage bags, dry bags, etc? A hanging locker in the head sink area?
Looking for tips and tricks.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2017 :  13:56:57  Show Profile
A few things I was thinking about doing to Passage for storage:

- Build a shelf above the quarterberth behind the companionway steps, the full length of the berth. Nobody ever slept there, and I could never imagine doing so. That's why I shortened that cushion--to be used on aisle "bridge" for an athartship queen bed.

- Take out the head sink and make the space a hanging locker with maybe a shelf just below the portlight. (Do you really need or use two sinks in a 25' boat?)

- Work on some solution to better utilize the dumpster--I had a few possibilities in mind, but don't remember them very well. I didn't keep sails or anything else very large in there.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2017 :  14:15:01  Show Profile
Bruce,LOL, I love that in your list you put the Bible and Whiskey together. Honestly with all that stuff I think your solution is a bigger boat?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/29/2017 14:27:53
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2017 :  03:43:47  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Dave has a good list of suggestions. Perhaps, in the future I will remove the Head sink and make that an area for hanging clothes, etc. Under the V-Berth area is also a great place to store stuff and I finished that project many years ago - It was just featured in Mainsheet magazine.

Agree with Scott - You need a larger sailboat !

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 05/30/2017 03:46:05
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2017 :  07:45:24  Show Profile
I found a good solution for people who keep their boats in a marina. I bought a smallish enclosed cargo trailer, big enough to carry my motorcycle and all the stuff that I only occasionally use on the boat, including tools, paints and supplies, various canvases, inflatable dinghy and outboard motor, extra pfds, cold weather clothes in summer, books that I might get around to reading, etc. Now I have a place to keep all the stuff that I might need during the summer, without cluttering the boat. I pack folded clothes and other loose items in laundry baskets, so they don't slide around inside the trailer.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2017 :  07:55:27  Show Profile
Steve - that's a great solution if you have a place at the marina. For me, that's either my garage or the trunk of my car. I can cull out the items that I'll rarely use and put them in the garage, but I need a better way to organize the items I need on the mooring. Maybe I can use the dumpster for my liferaft and oars, and some of the cleaning supplies.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

SJ
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2017 :  06:49:18  Show Profile
There is some additional space behind each settee. I cut out 3 access holes along each side and made some doors with latches. Inside the cavity a shelf was installed to create a floor and now we store the first aid kit, tools, emergency stuff, dry goods and lots of other things that seem to just appear on the boat. I'll take some pictures this weekend...
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2017 :  19:01:27  Show Profile
SJ - in my case I have the Starboard side settee only, but I can imagine there's a good deal of space in there behind the seat back. It's about 6 feet long and 28" tall. I can see stowing a boat pole, some oars and maybe a brush on a pole in there. Maybe some PFDs too.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2017 :  21:15:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slim

Clothing

Thongs

Slim, I never would have guessed you'd be sporting a thong, but your boat looks nice anchored there.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 06/09/2017 21:17:46
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2017 :  06:05:13  Show Profile
They have to be loose fitting - nobody wants an atomic wedgie from a thing that's too tight!

But my question still goes back to the original, "If you could have everything in the whole wide world, where would you keep it?"

I've started sorting through my boat stuff. I have four conventional PFDs on board that stay in the Vee berth. So I got a big clear plastic ziplock bag and now they're in the space beneath the vee berth. I did the same with my fleece sweatshirts, wool hats and jacket. My quarterberth is cleared out and it is possible to store larger size Rubbermaid buckets with lids underneath the cockpit sole. I still have the sleeping area available. I keep hand tools, wiring components, butt splice connectors, spade and ring connectors, wire ties, nuts, bolts, screws and pop rivets, sandpaper, rubber gloves, small paintbrushes and tape in these. My biggest problem is keeping inventory, so I keep a sheet of paper listing which item is in which bucket.
I've vastly reduced my cleaning supplies: dishwashing soap, Clorox, bartenders friend, a spray bottle and some liquid gold furniture polish. I also keep engine oil, WD-40 and spray silicone lube in the space under my port head portlight. I've cleared out the space under the dinette settee, I have a spare anchor and rode. And I put my vinyl liferaft underneath the qberth bilge.
My bible, whiskey and toiletries bag is still under the head sink cabinet. Things are coming along.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2017 :  07:50:35  Show Profile
O.K.

Let's start with one area at a time i choose the dumpster, In It I keep my storm jib and Genoa sails along with dock bumpers, pfd’s, boat hook, and a bag of storm weather clothing that i might need and not be able to get to in rough weather (Single handed sailor). All large or bulky items that are not to hard to reach with the boat hook if necessary from the outside of the storage area.

Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

Edited by - slim on 06/10/2017 10:46:15
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2017 :  10:51:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

They have to be loose fitting - nobody wants an atomic wedgie from a thing that's too tight!

But my question still goes back to the original, "If you could have everything in the whole wide world, where would you keep it?"

I've started sorting through my boat stuff. I have four conventional PFDs on board that stay in the Vee berth. So I got a big clear plastic ziplock bag and now they're in the space beneath the vee berth. I did the same with my fleece sweatshirts, wool hats and jacket. My quarterberth is cleared out and it is possible to store larger size Rubbermaid buckets with lids underneath the cockpit sole. I still have the sleeping area available. I keep hand tools, wiring components, butt splice connectors, spade and ring connectors, wire ties, nuts, bolts, screws and pop rivets, sandpaper, rubber gloves, small paintbrushes and tape in these. My biggest problem is keeping inventory, so I keep a sheet of paper listing which item is in which bucket.
I've vastly reduced my cleaning supplies: dishwashing soap, Clorox, bartenders friend, a spray bottle and some liquid gold furniture polish. I also keep engine oil, WD-40 and spray silicone lube in the space under my port head portlight. I've cleared out the space under the dinette settee, I have a spare anchor and rode. And I put my vinyl liferaft underneath the qberth bilge.
My bible, whiskey and toiletries bag is still under the head sink cabinet. Things are coming along.

Space Saver bags work well for clothing and blankets. Put clothing in the bag, attach bag to small wet vac and suck the air out. Drastically reduces the size and keeps moisture out. Just be sure you have it zipped up tight.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2017 :  11:02:47  Show Profile
Ya I agree soft storage is better than hard. I use duffel bags for all of my soft items like clothing towels and washcloths etc. They can double for pillows if you like, and can be put into odd shaped storage areas where they can be shaped to fit. The hard containers are awkward to store and just in the way most of the time.

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page