Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Hull 922 - Awning Canopy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl in LA
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/26/2017 :  07:46:24  Show Profile
Hi everybody...

I might have mentioned this elsewhere but one of the curses of sitting on a Catalina Island mooring is the relentless sun baking down on the boat all day. Presume this is a problem world wide in warmer climates. One solution is an awning or canopy.

For the 250 I choose to go with a 8 by 12 prefabricated canvas drop cloth procured from Amazon as it is already sewn and has grommets installed. The canvas is the right color but if I were able, I would change to a lighter weight fabric - that thing is heavy.

The canvas is suspended on PVC pipe which breaks down for transport. I would have used Forespar awning poles but they are pricey.

This arrangement requires both the topping lift and the main halyard for suspension.

I had a bit of left over Sunbrella fabric as well as Shelter rite reinforcing fabric and webbing and sewed a carrying case for all the gear.

As my wife said - shade is priceless.

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat

Edited by - Carl in LA on 05/26/2017 08:52:14

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2017 :  12:47:21  Show Profile
Very clever. Functional and it looks great. Looks like buiscut color Sunbrella. I have a 10 x 12 Sunbrella boom tent. I like the spars and the way you can hoist it with the halyard. Does it swing in a breeze?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2017 :  20:28:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Very clever. Functional and it looks great. Looks like buiscut color Sunbrella. I have a 10 x 12 Sunbrella boom tent. I like the spars and the way you can hoist it with the halyard. Does it swing in a breeze?

Thanks Voyager. Bet that 10 x 12 on the boom provides perfect coverage.

Don't know much about how it handles the wind yet. It was not windy when it was tested. The shock cord around the stays seemed to hold the forward end sufficiently stable.

I did cut and lace a bit of leather as chaffing protection for the shock cord and suspension line.

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page