Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Wind storm
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sra1895
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/19/2017 :  10:45:54  Show Profile
Big straight line winds in OKC on Tuesday night brought down a friend's mast. Anyone near the great state of Oklahoma have an extra mast and tabernacle for a Catalina 25 SR SK ?? Thanks

Steve

michael.j.wenger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2017 :  11:37:17  Show Profile
Have this person contact Bill Rains,on Lake Hefner in OKC. Bill has spares for almost everything and is fantastic to work with. His website is

http://www.sailorbrains.com/

Michael Wenger
Norman OK (Lake Thunderbird)
"Sea of Tea" (SK/TR)
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2017 :  11:45:14  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
have a tabernacle that i got off this site. you can have for shipping if u need.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2017 :  03:03:50  Show Profile
I sent you an e-mail

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2017 :  20:51:55  Show Profile
... that's why I took down my mast to replace the 12 yo rigging. I completely replaced all the rigging this weekend. Now all I need is a dry sunny afternoon to raise the mast again. A big wind should not be able to take down the main element of a wind-powered machine.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2017 :  03:50:42  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

. A big wind should not be able to take down the main element of a wind-powered machine.

Ive always wondered about that myself. I guess something windblown like plywood could hit the mast and bend it. I wonder if that is what happens when sailboats at dock lose their naked spars in big winds.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2017 :  06:57:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

Ive always wondered about that myself. I guess something windblown like plywood could hit the mast and bend it. I wonder if that is what happens when sailboats at dock lose their naked spars in big winds.

Sometimes it's rigs getting tangled or catching a piling as boats are rolling in the waves coming through the marina. Things could get dicey in the boat club where Passage lived when a storm tide sent waves across the adjoining parking lot.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2017 :  17:30:13  Show Profile
That's for sure Dave. When I was on the slip in the Housatonic a few years back we had a wicked nor'easter that heeled Passage so far over that the stern pulpit caught on the dock edge and bent it beyond repair. Never saw that one coming!
Thank God a fellow forum member had a replacement for sale. Schtufff happens in bad weather that you often cannot predict or prepare for. Snagging your rig in the neighbor's is another.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

sra1895
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2017 :  05:38:47  Show Profile
I believe our spars sparred. Our slips are very close together with no finger piers for separation. I looked at the weather history for that night and there were 80 MPH gusts from the perfect, or not so perfect direction.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

sra1895
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2017 :  05:40:20  Show Profile
Also, I just noticed that I'm listed as a guest when I have been an association member since 1996.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2017 :  07:00:29  Show Profile
...and never posted until this thread? Shame!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/25/2017 07:01:36
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2017 :  19:16:11  Show Profile
First, so sorry to hear of the mast loss -- must have been quite a storm. If/when the forecast indicates it is always best to remove sails -- albeit not always possible. I remove my mast every winter to both reduce stress on the poor 37 year old chain plates and standing rigging, and to inspect mast and standing rigging to make sure I see problems before they are problems. That said, every year -- a few times -- a "wind event" that is not forecast occurs and I cross my fingers . . . . .

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page