Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 painting my c25 while on trailer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2017 :  11:40:08  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
It looks like I'm late commenting on bottom painting on a roller trailer. I've done it, and plan to again later this year. To roll back, I used a 2-ton come-along under the bow connected by a split rope bridle to the bow eye, and to the ends of the rear trailer cross member with a V of chain straddling the swing keel.

As for Catalina 25 bow eyes being indestructible, I broke my original one. I replaced it with the next larger bolt size.

Regarding the lack of backing under cleats, I laid up a 1/4" thick slab of fiberglass and epoxy, and squeezed out any air and excess resin with a metal plate and C-clamps until it cured. I cut backing plates from that for all docking cleats and the primary winches, then bedded them with either epoxy mush or polyurethane adhesive.

Weak stern cleats aren't as much of a concern as bow cleats. To belabor the obvious, any anchoring system is only as strong as its weakest link, including cleat attachment. In addition to fiberglass backing plates and fender washers, I drilled out my bow cleats for 5/16" machine screws.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2017 :  06:05:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Leon Sisson

It looks like I'm late commenting on bottom painting on a roller trailer ...
-- Leon Sisson

It's GREAT to hear from you, Leon! Your comments here are always appreciated.

Your expertise and thoroughness in completing maintenance and upgrades has always been very impressive. I have no doubt that any boat you own would be VERY seaworthy.

Please come back often!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page