Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Catalina 250 WK weight
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WK 727
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2017 :  19:45:06  Show Profile
I have a 2004 wing keel and weighed the boat and the trailer at the local CAT Scale (Certified Automated Truck Scale). Here is the rundown: Truck & Trailer 8,100 - truck at 6,260 giving the trailer weight of 1,840lb. Trail-Rite trailer with the 9' launch extension, mast raising system and a spare tire. The manufacture stamp states 1,400lb.

The same process for the boat came in at 5,360lb (slightly more than the advertised 4,000lb!) I estimate that the diesel, sail drive, fuel and batteries reduce the number by 500lb. The dry weight of the boat is approximately 4,860lb.

Has anyone had the same experience? I guess I should be glad with the added weight.

Sincerely, John

Regards, John
Westlawn Institute graduate
Yacht Design and Naval Architecture
04 Catalina 250 WK
Standard rig w/wheel steering
Yanmar 9hp diesel

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  08:27:34  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
Below is a photo of my rig. I weighed at a certified scale. Tow vehicle was on the drive wheel scale, the boat/trailer on the trailer scale.

Tow Vehicle came in at 11,000 and the boat/trailer came in at 5,700.
I also have a Trail-Rite trailer with the 12' launch extension, mast raising system. Spare tire is kept in the tow vehicle. The boat was pretty much empty.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  10:11:08  Show Profile
Weighing it that way, if you know the tongue weight for the trailer, you would add that to the scale reading for the trailer and subract it from the vehicle weight reading to get more accurate numbers for both.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

WK 727
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  15:56:21  Show Profile
Stinkpotter, I agree with the tongue weight issue. The scales I use have three pads for the steer axle, drive axle and the trailer axle. From this I was able to determine the actual boat weight and distribution to the tongue weight. The trailer axle pad had 6,600lb on it and the increase to the drive axle or tongue weight was 620lb. A little less than 10% on the tongue, so it tows extremely well. The total boat & trailer increase was 7,200lbs.

I did three different combinations on the three axle scales to determine my weights
1) Truck with boat on trailer
2) Truck with trailer
3) Truck

Every way I look at it, the boat weighs approximately 5,360 lbs (including Yanmar, mast, sails, two batteries, anchor and tank of diesel).

David, thanks for your information...if you have 9% on the tongue, and yes you have the exact trailer as mine, It appears your boat is about the 4,400 lbs mark?

I called Catalina and was told that the 4,000 lbs would not include the sails, mast, boom or anything else. They also expect a marginal increase over the stated number to ensure that the amount of fiberglass used exceeds the minimum stated weight. The concern is that a customer would believe that the hull walls are too thin if boat weighs below the advertised weight. This is a logical position by the manufacturer, but I seem to be outside of the realistic expectations for weight.

John

Regards, John
04 Catalina 250 WK
Yanmar 9hp diesel
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2017 :  08:25:48  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
What does that Yanmar weigh? I bet it is quite heavy compared to our outboards. Very few of us C250 owners have an inboard Diesel. And then how about fuel? I carry only 3 gallons and considering I weighed at the end of the season, probably had zero gas and I am sure I had zero water on board. I do have two batteries. All other stock items were in my boat when weighed. It all adds up.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

WK 727
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2017 :  20:13:25  Show Profile
According to the Yanmar manual and the Saildrive manual the weight is a combined 234lb and I had 14 gallons of diesel on board (112lb), no water or waste. Other than the two batteries, the boat was completely empty. That is why I figured that engine, fuel and batteries are about 500lbs.

Thanks for the input, John

Regards, John
04 Catalina 250 WK
Yanmar 9hp diesel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page