Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Trailer Advice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Digger
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/21/2017 :  08:57:34  Show Profile
I just bought a trailer that was made for a Catalina 25 like mine. Am in the process of getting it ready to put my boat on it for a while while I check the hull and giver her a new bottom coat. My question is what is a good tow vehicle for this load?

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2017 :  12:02:49  Show Profile
Here are a few threads that discuss this and may help you...

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19574

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=23262

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3345

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=19877

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=24428&whichpage=1

Theres more, however this should get you started.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2017 :  13:34:31  Show Profile
Follow all the threads until they deteriorate. I've towed with several different vehicles and currently am happy with an F-150 2.7 liter ecoboost with max payload and towing package. The fin keel is a different ball game than a wing or my swing. Shoving the center of mass 3 feet up and at least 2 feet for the hull "raises" braking, turning, and drag issues that I don't deal with. A 250/2500 series truck, brand of your choice, with appropriate load packages and 4WD would be my starting point. A variety of sources I've read suggest staying within 75-90% of vehicle capacity, including your gear, more towing means staying closer to the lower number for wear and tear. The brand doesn't matter a bit, they are all capable so pick what appeals in other respects. Find a compromise on wheelbase that you can live with, longer is better but a pain when you aren't towing.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2017 :  16:02:14  Show Profile
The guy who bought my swing keel boat didn't want my fin keel trailer, so I sold it later. When we moved the boat from my lake to his lake about 12 miles away, he found and rented a U-Haul truck that was equipped with a class III hitch. This was a rather large box truck, but now 250/2500 class pickups are available to rent from U-Haul Commercial. That would be my preference if you do not already have the vehicle. 4WD is not necessary, but the 250/2500 or big box truck is necessary for the larger brakes. Adequate braking is key!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 04/21/2017 16:12:02
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2017 :  09:17:54  Show Profile
What kind of towing do you expect to do--highways for some distance, hills, a short run on a country road, or just across a boatyard? For highways at speed, as said, brakes (including on the trailer), mass, and wheelbase are keys. I've witnessed (from a few cars back) the results of a little "surprise" with a vehicle that had marginal (at best) capacity for the boat it was pulling on an interstate--fortunately they ended up in a field. It could have been worse.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2017 :  13:29:59  Show Profile
Thank you all very much. I am wanting to move the boat from Canyon Lake in the Texas Hill Country to Lockhart where she will enjoy some dry dock time. The trip will be on two lane windy road through an area called the Devil's Back Bone, beautiful drive but I expect it will tax brakes and cooling systems. The advice you wise sailing colleagues offered that I think I will follow is to hire the job to be done by some people that move RV's around the state. I don't have to buy a 250 with towing package when I expect to need it a couple of times. Less expensive and much safer.
Thank you again for the counsel.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2017 :  06:04:35  Show Profile
Good choice--that or rent a good-sized truck.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2017 :  17:23:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Digger

Thank you all very much. I am wanting to move the boat from Canyon Lake in the Texas Hill Country to Lockhart where she will enjoy some dry dock time. The trip will be on two lane windy road through an area called the Devil's Back Bone, beautiful drive but I expect it will tax brakes and cooling systems. The advice you wise sailing colleagues offered that I think I will follow is to hire the job to be done by some people that move RV's around the state. I don't have to buy a 250 with towing package when I expect to need it a couple of times. Less expensive and much safer.
Thank you again for the counsel.

When do you plan on moving your boat. I'd like to watch you guys pull it out so when I do mine later this spring I'll know what to expect. More than happy to supply some labor if you need it. I could bring my mast lowering rig if you needed it.

Are you at LCYC or Canyon Marina?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2017 :  18:36:50  Show Profile
Gary--your very shallow wing will be easier than his fin!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2017 :  09:06:05  Show Profile
We tow from central Ca valley to San Francisco or Monterey, as well as high Sierra (8000 foot elevation). When new to us I used ouj jeep grand Cherokee to go over the Altamont pass. That was not fun. If you are just towing short flat distances a 150 would be fine. Anything else 2500 or a one ton. Now I use 2500 diesel and have no problems going up steep grades,2 wheel drive. I've used a one ton dullie thavdidnt even know I was towing, but that was a little over kill and you have to deal with a giant when not towing

Matt/Brigitte Loeffler
E.C. Rider 5411
Cat 25 86'
FK/SR _/)
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2017 :  10:59:03  Show Profile
Steve,
With your fin keel, you will have the additional problem of water depth. Be prepared to get wet! Unless the water at your ramp is fairly deep and the ramp steep, you will almost certainly need to extend the trailer, possibly more than the trailer's extension bar if it has one. To do that, you will need a 10,000 lb strap or cable, which will be placed between the tow vehicle and the trailer once you get to the ramp.
I used a 20 ft strap, but get 30 ft if you can find one. The straps will have a loop at each end. Wrap one end securely around the trailer frame at the tongue and run the strap through the loop at that end. Adjust so it is snug and the strap rests on top of the tongue. Remove the ball mount from your tow vehicle receiver and put the other strap loop into the receiver and secure with the hitch pin. Slowly take the slack out of the strap, un-chock the trailer and let it roll into the water, hopefully deep enough to float the boat onto the trailer. You may want to add a second tongue jack to your trailer for extra bow support. After the boat is out of the water, reverse the process to disconnect the strap and reconnect the trailer to the vehicle.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 05/09/2017 11:00:50
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2017 :  10:04:19  Show Profile
I have regularly towed Heartbeat (full keel) with the $20-a-day half ton F-150s from U-Haul. (I have dual disc brakes on the trailer, though. The trailer really STOPS.) IMO, any half ton pickup or large SUV will do the job.

I am not saying your 9L diesel duallie 4WD won't do it better...

Matt

former Captain of Heartbeat
Catalina 25 Tall
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page