Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Synthetic Spliced Lifelines
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/16/2017 :  19:48:04  Show Profile
Hello,
I've read through what I could find on the forums, but am still left with questions. I am faced with replacing my lifelines in the next year or so, and like the thought of using dyneema or something else synthetic.
Where i struggle, is understanding the hardware needed. I see some setups that use a toggle connector at the end, others attached directly to the gates. Are interlocking eyes needed for either side of every stanchion?

So, anyone who has done it can you share some practical advice? I know it's boating, but not looking to spend $500+ on hardware, so any thrifty tips welcome.

Boat is a 1977 SR SK.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK

Edited by - offshoreaccount on 04/16/2017 19:48:53

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2017 :  03:25:10  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
Any ideas how you will handle the issue of abrasion at the stanchions? I am very interested in your progress. please keep us informed.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2017 :  04:18:22  Show Profile
A friend used dyneema. He used SS eye bolts and snap shackles at the gates. He used a piece of SS tube at the stanchions for the line to go through. His stanchions did not have a tube through the area for the line. I replaced my life lines with new ones (vinyl covered cable) four years ago and they are already stained and looking bad.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2017 :  04:35:29  Show Profile
I was just out on the boat yesterday and we were talking about replacing the lifelines. Using Dyneema came up but i think at $300 I'm just going to replace with the standard vinyl wrapped ones. Tried and true. We're not racing our boat and doing that swap might invite issues that were not previously there like chafing and so on.

If you do come up with a good system for this swap. Definitely let us know. I'm sure people will be interested.

This company has some products for spliced lifelines:

Johnson Marine:
http://www.csjohnson.com/

Spliced Lifeline Kit:
http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+sjnSLK30

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/290904398257?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

Edited by - DavidBuoy on 04/17/2017 04:42:19
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2017 :  07:27:50  Show Profile
IMHO I would replace them with the standard Non vinyl kit from CD. The vinyl cover traps moisture and creates the corrosion.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/17/2017 08:09:17
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2017 :  10:09:21  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
i will replace mine with non coated wire probably next year. The recommendation to replace fiber lines every three to five years seems a bit much on a cruiser or day-sailor.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2017 :  14:14:11  Show Profile
With respect to abrasion at the stanchions, from what I've read it is typically not a substantial issue. I've seen solutions ranging from tubing shoved around the dyneema, some type of pipe (which in my opinion just creates the opportunity at each end of the pipe), heatshrink, and nothing. I'd be inclined to try the "nothing" option first and see how it lasts, but I saw reports on other forums of people using them for a few seasons without noticeable wear. The gates that thread through each end of the stanchion are like $30/piece, so at $180 just for some of the hardware, it's not really economical. For that reason I'd probably be more apt to attempt the bare stanchion route.

Thanks for the Johnson links. I've seen their hardware before, but it's a bit over priced.

Interestingly, the receiving eye on the stern doesn't fit the pelican gates from johnson. I'm not sure if the mini (just saw it for the first time a few days ago) would solve that. My solution when I "tightened" the stock one into the marina was to just use a SS quicklink through the eye.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK

Edited by - offshoreaccount on 04/17/2017 14:15:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page