Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spare Gas in the Dumpster?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phredde
Navigator

Member Avatar

125 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/21/2017 :  13:52:06  Show Profile
Hi - Ever since an unfortunate evening running out of gas, I have kept a couple of spare gallons in the port side storage locker (aka dumpster) in sealed plastic gas cans. I need to re-do my aft steaming light wiring due to an unfortunate incident with my push-pit while at the yard.

So I got to thinking...is storing gas in a locker that houses an electrical board and possibly spliced together wiring pose a safety hazard? If yes, where would you store spare gas or other potential combustibles?

What do you all think?

Phredde
Catalina 25
San Francisco

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
75 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  15:26:11  Show Profile
Phredde,

IMO, storing any volatile, flammable liquid in the dumpster is a bad idea. Others please correct me if I am wrong, but the dumpster bottom is the outer hull, and a direct path to the bilge (underneath the companionway steps). An accumulation of flammable vapors down there, one spark, and your boat is toast. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, so they will sink to the lowest spot they can find; your bilge. The far aft fuel storage locker is isolated, so vapors cannot escape down into your boat's innards. Others, please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Al and Bernadette, "Pualani Nui", '82 C25 SR/SK, homeport MCB Quantico
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  15:39:05  Show Profile
This is not only unsafe, it's not legal. If gasoline tanks are located below decks, the enclosed area requires an active blower which must be run prior to starting the engine. On our boats (at least most model years), the gas tank is stored on the cockpit deck, albeit underneath a hinged seat. If you want to store an extra gallon of gas, your best bet is to store it next to the existing gas tank in the gas locker. Or perhaps get a bigger tank.
A Tow Boat US subscription is also good insurance if you're concerned about getting stuck.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 03/21/2017 15:42:20
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  16:07:19  Show Profile
Bruce you are forgetting that early models did have the gas tanks on a shelf basically in the dumpster without a dedicated locker. They did have a passive vent system with those chrome cowl vents. That said I wouldn't store gas there, Probably why Catalina stopped too. A 3 gal above deck tank fits perfectly on the cockpit floor against the transom and they are made to be out in the elements. That along with the 6gal tank in the locker gives you 9gal and when you run the 6gal dry it gives you warning that you have 3gal left. Kinda like switching to the reserve.You also avoid spilling gas dumping it from one container to another in a rocking boat. Just unplug the fuel line and connect it to the spare and your good to go.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/21/2017 16:35:12
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  17:37:18  Show Profile
Well, in California the aux fuel tanks are so regulated against leaks and fumes I really don't see it much of an issue. I have done it, but I don't leave them in there. Also all of the electrical in my dumpster is covered. All in all it would be better on deck. And I would not recommend putting fuel in there.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Phredde
Navigator

Members Avatar

125 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2017 :  14:31:21  Show Profile
Thank you all for the feedback. Although I have been doing it for years without any problems, there is no sense pushing my luck. I'm going to stop storing gas in there. I am not sure that on deck storage will be there when I get back. So I am going to start just filling the larger main gas container more fully and remember to check it more often. Thanks again!

Looking forward to more time spent sailing this season on SF bay!

Phredde
Catalina 25
San Francisco
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2017 :  04:55:39  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
on long trips i store extra can tied off on deck.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2017 :  06:36:26  Show Profile
I'd agree you wouldn't want to have a supplemental gasoline container sitting out on your deck in plain sight while your boat is unattended at off hours. It's just too tempting and ripe for the picking by a stranger. That's why I suggested finding a tank that's small enough to fit beside your main tank in the cockpit fuel locker. One gallon should be enough spare capacity to get you out of trouble.
Regarding state of California style containers, they're still unsafe because "stuff happens". And it's usually the outlier events that cause catastrophes.
For example, spilling a few ounces of gas thoughtlessly while moving the tank. If it gets down into the bilge that's enough to vaporize and kaboom.
Or cross-threading the cap while refilling the tank and putting the cap back on.
In a panic (it's rare that you run out of gas at a convenient time), you rush around and you do something wrong.
Sadly, most "statistics" come about as a series of unfortunate events, rarely just one mistake.
Safety regulations, while they're often not "common sense", came about because the odds of a tragedy were not 0.000%. The value of even one life is too dear.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2017 :  08:01:40  Show Profile
Wow Bruce, Is your gas locker bigger than mine? I know with my 6gal tank in there I don't know If There's any room for another tank. If security is a problem you could put a cable lock on it run through the handle around the pushpit stanchion or the traveler bar.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2017 :  20:34:01  Show Profile
Scott, I have a full sized tank but rarely use it. I have a second tank that holds maybe 3 gallons. That's the one I usually use.
What I found with the larger tank was it was harder to handle in and out of the boat during fill ups and it would take me months to use all that gas, so it got stale. I do use the larger tank when I take multi-day trips or overnights when I expect to motor for long distances.
One cool feature of the larger tank is that it has a built-in reserve. The bottom of the tank has a ridge that's about an inch tall that runs across the tank. This holds back about 8 ounces of gas when the engine runs dry, and the reserve is enough to sail back to the harbor and motor into the harbor against the current. This has saved my bacon more than once!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2017 :  04:43:04  Show Profile
It's interesting the different ways we handle gas. I do the opposite using the 6gal. tank only but have a 3gal. I take along if going on a trip. I don't remove the 6 gal. tank to fill it but rather bring a 2 1/2 gal can from home about every 2 weeks to top it off with fresh gas. Adding the 2 1/2 gal every 2 weeks keep the fuel fresh or fresh enough. Having only 3gal would make me nervous. Many times I might sail 4hrs out and have the wind die. I like to know I have plenty to motor back if needed.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page