Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Name that sail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
75 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/20/2017 :  16:46:02  Show Profile
Fellow Forum members,

he'p me out heah ... I bow before this august assemblage of salty old sailors, and humbly ask for assistance. This sail...

is it a spinnaker?

here is the head ...

here is the tack ...

and here is the clew ...

Some previous owner seems to have rigged it as a gennaker, and I flew it as such (see post: "Current, what current" in the Cruising Forum). However, it looks like it was cut to be a full spinnaker, except for the single hank at the tack. I do have a spinnaker pole (somewhere, I hope Pualani remembers where), so maybe I could fly it as a spin, if I rig single sheets to the tack and clew, or just leave it as is and fly it as a gennaker.

Please have at it, and let me know what all y'all think.

Regards,

Al and Bernadette, "Pualani Nui", '82 C25 SR/SK, homeport MCB Quantico

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2017 :  22:00:23  Show Profile
It sorta looks symetric... Is it? Are the "luff" and "leech" equal? If so, they're not a luff and leech--you apparently have a symetrical chute. But I guess you could fly it as an assym... it just might be a little too full and the clew might be too low.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/20/2017 22:03:21
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  00:09:36  Show Profile
Spinnaker luff and leech are same. Gennaker luff is shorter than the leech. Without seeing the measurements this picture looks like a spinnaker. You can use a spinnaker as a Gennaker but not the opposite use due to the different lengths of luff and leach and need for pole hardware. A spinnaker doesn't have a tack line, so someone tied on a piece of line to make it a Gennaker. Also rigging and flying each one is a little different because of the pole and it's associated hardware and the wind direction you need to fly it properly.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  04:51:58  Show Profile
We have a very similar sail. It's actually pretty versatile and sails great close reaching to deep reaching and we've even tried it wing on wing for fun! Ours has the hank as well and two different colors on the tack and clew, as well as there is a sewed on label on the tack. Other than that though, it appears nearly symmetrical.

I think generally for non-sailing friends/crew I call it a spinnaker, but really its a gennaker.

Another clue for you is the swivel on the head. That's not something that would really be necessary on a symmetrical if you think about it.

At the dock you can tell the cut is pretty symmetrical:

Reaching:

Wing on wing:

This picture you can kinda see how once it starts filling up, it does change its shape to a more familiar assymetric shape:

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  06:07:28  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
If you need crew to try it out , just email me. getting ready to do the bottom this weekend, but someone could twist my arm and get me to go sailing!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
75 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  10:52:15  Show Profile
Many thanks for y'all's helpful comments. I will make measurements tonight when I get home. My suspicion is that I have a sail like Rob's, and that makes me happy. If the measurements are equal, that means I do have a dual-function sail, spin and gen. More to follow.

Todd, your offer is so tempting. Unfortunately, it would take most of the day Saturday to get Pualani re-rigged. Even though she is in the water, she has been winterized as much as possible. I also need to pull maintenance on the Nissan "smudgepot", presently sitting in my garage, before I can mount it on Pualani. (Maybe I shouldn't talk so bad about the little Nissan; it might hear me and pull another "yank, yank, silence" on me ... hmmm.)

Regards to all,

Go to Top of Page

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
75 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  15:32:49  Show Profile
Mystery solved.

Head to tack: 29 ft., 2 in.
Head to clew: 27 ft., 4 in.

I have an asymetrical spinnaker, or gennaker. Interesting to me is the luff is longer than the leech.

So, those of you "longer in the teeth" than me, is this correct?

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2017 :  20:55:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by oldengineer1949

...Interesting to me is the luff is longer than the leech. So, those of you "longer in the teeth" than me, is this correct?

My teeth are only 72 years long, but I'd say yes unless you want to drag the clew in the water. It's the reverse with the main, but the mast is vertical while the forestay is not.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/21/2017 20:59:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page