Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Rake in the mast
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C25BC
Navigator

Member Avatar

Canada
200 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/12/2017 :  14:38:34  Show Profile
I've recently sold my Cat 22 and bought a Cat 25 , my 1974 C22 was pretty basic as far as the rigging goes, this one has a lot of the extras I had wanted on a new boat .
I launched a couple weeks ago and am going out to the lake on Saturdays to get it dialled in for sailing in a few weeks if are west coast Canadian winter ever ends this year. I cannot seem to get a rake in the mast the back stay turnbuckle is closed to maxed out and my mast is still slightly tilted forward , threw a CDI furler on the headstay, I raised the drum and eased of the tension and no luck . Am I missing something ? Will a split backstay adjuster help ? Or is it lookiing like I'll have to replace the back stay ? From everything I've read it doesn't sound like a good idea to raise the main without a rake .

Angus
S.V.Tempus
1984 Catalina 25 SK/SR/Trad.

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2017 :  17:28:45  Show Profile
I think an adjustable backstay is a good addition. My rigging was likely original and I couldn't get rake with the turnbuckle fully in unless I had the tensioner about halfway down when setting the rest of the rigging. New rigging solved all issues with my zero point vertical and tuned with a few degrees, about 4"-6" aft at the masthead, rake. The more serious folks can probably give you an optimal amount. Vertical isn't dangerous, but a little rake is an improvement.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2017 :  23:11:48  Show Profile
"the mast the back stay turnbuckle is closed to maxed out" do you mean maxed in? Out would allow forward rake. Did you try loosening your forward lowers, maybe they are too tight and keeping the mast from being vertical. Also you can purchase a turnbuckle extension cheaper than a split backstay system. I have both a 1973 C22 and a 1987 C25 and I recall the C22 has more rake than the C25. If you can max out the forestay and max in the backstay you should be able to get it vertical. We sail in all kinds of conditions and the split backstay is nice for sail trim and would recommend it if your budget can handle it. If you do remove the pin at the top to remove the backstay be very careful. If the s/s is corroded to the cast masthead it is very easy to break the masthead and will cost hundreds of dollars to replace the masthead. We just replaced our last Nov.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2017 :  05:11:30  Show Profile
Although the stays may be old and stretched to the point that you don't have any adjustment left, Another reason can be that the mast step has sunk into the cabin top. This happens from water saturating the wood core through the bolts. The more you tighten the stays the more they drive the mast down untill you don't have any adjustment left. Worth a look. See if the cabin top is dented in around the plate.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2017 :  11:10:51  Show Profile
Welcome to the group, Angus!

I don't see a slight forward tilt being dangerous except as it affects helm balance... It could cause lee helm, which I do consider less safe than weather helm. (And racers tell me moderate weather helm is faster.) If you feel at least a slight weather helm going to windward in most conditions, you're good with what you've got. If the helm is neutral or to leeward, I think I'd get a new backstay from Catalina Direct--either adjustable (the kit with an additional chainplate), or straight (but a little shorter).

Incidentally, are you sailing in the Straight or in fresh water, and do you know the age of your standing rigging?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/13/2017 11:15:22
Go to Top of Page

C25BC
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
200 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2017 :  18:34:37  Show Profile
Thanks for the input , i definitely have a couple new things to check out this weekend. I did mean 'maxed in ' on the turnbuckle . The forestay was adjusted aprx 3/4 in when I pulled the drum I eased it off to 50% , I loosened off all the rigging at the mast , it needed to be tuned better anyway ,then tried to crank the backstay aft it did move but not enuf , now the forestay is to loose and I'll have to tighten it up find it a . I'm pretty sure the deck is sound , the upper and lower shrouds seem to adjust well, but will double check. The rigging appeared to be newer but not sure , it has the open turnbuckles and not covered in rubber coating like on th old boat.The overall condition of the boat is very good compared to some of the boats I looked at the last few months . The last owner had it for a short period of time and I'm thinking he did not really have any interest in maintaining or improving the boat as his family dynamic changed shortly after purchasing it . The boat came from Oregon before I bought it in Washington , and appears to have been sailed in the Prineville reservoir. We are pleased to have found a Cat 25 in good condition ( relatively ) there difficult to find in this part of the world . We're sailing in Harrison lake BC it's about 40 miles long and up to 10 wide in places . The wind picks up pretty good in the summer afternoons and blows 15-20 knots , I got in the habit of going out with a reef in the main with my Cat 22.

Angus
S.V.Tempus
1984 Catalina 25 SK/SR/Trad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page