Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 teak trim split
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/07/2017 :  06:54:48  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
it looks like my trim pieces on the face of the slide and the eyebrows have split at a seam where they were originally glued together from smaller pieces. I tried to repair this 2 years ago. anyone have any luck or a good technique? I'm just about ready to buy new lumber and recut them. I'd like to avoid that cost if i can . Even from ebay it looks like the wood will cost 70 to 80 dollars. I wish I could find someone local in va that sold rough teak boards to lower the cost.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2017 :  09:49:56  Show Profile
teak isn't your only choice. we use Honduran mahogany which looks identical to teak at half the price. we finally removed the eyebrow and placed a small beauty ring and sealed screws there. another option is to use metal as a facing for the front of the slide and a small stainless handle. I've even seen metal used as a facing for the hatchboard slides. Didn't see screw there so they may have been glued over the old wood.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2017 :  10:50:15  Show Profile
The oval teak trim ring around the cockpit coaming pocket came unglued on my C25. I simply glued it together with white waterproof carpenter's wood glue, kept it coated with a good sealant afterwards, and never had a reccurrance. I have heard it said that teak is difficult to glue because it is an oily wood, but that didn't seem to be a problem for that repair.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2017 :  11:45:26  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
doing research, i was thinking of using iroko at $8 bf compared to $29/bf for teak

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2017 :  16:10:50  Show Profile
A two part resorcinol glue is an option for teak, as are urethanes like Gorilla Glue. De-oil the surfaces with mineral spirits and dry with alcohol immediately before gluing. No guaranties

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2017 :  20:10:27  Show Profile
I replaced my eyebrows with mahogany. I had some 2x4 deck lumber which I sliced thin-wise on my table saw. I used the old ones for templates and created two 3/4" x 3" x 10" (roughly) pieces and once I painted them with Cetol, they looked pretty close to the original teak. They are a little darker but it doesn't make a lot for difference, the eyebrows are simply an ornament and serve no functional purpose. I also replaced the companionway threshold with mahogany. Again, no biggie. It holds up well and highlights the teak very well. Once I complete my brightwork we shall see whether it passes muster.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2017 :  02:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

Yes, resorcenol is a good choice for teak but it will leave a purple glue line. I personally have had good results with gorilla glue, "original". Follow the instructions carefully and clean the glue joints first with acetone to remove surface oils.
good luck with your repairs.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2017 :  19:59:00  Show Profile
Is it me? Or does Gorilla Glue just turn into foamy brownish white snot that fills the gap and swells up inside the joint? I just don't seem to get it!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2017 :  22:29:10  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

Yes, gorilla glue expands and you will see a brownish foam from the glue joint. Wipe this away as it happens to save yourself a lot of sanding later. The expansion is also why a gorilla glue joint should be clamped.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2017 :  09:21:43  Show Profile
So I've sanded the teak brightwork in my garage and I've filled any dings and screw holes with teak sawdust and glue (aka teak wood filler). Now I have two questions for this very knowledgeable forum.
1. What's the best procedure for cleaning any dark spots in the wood - greyish or blackish areas in the grain. I've read that oxalic acid will remove them but then you have to thoroughly rinse it a let dry for three days. Then apply your finish. Any suggestions?
2. My crib boards consist of two slats butted together and held in place by a rabbeted joint with the edge boards. On one of the boards the butt joint shrunk enough to allow daylight and debris to get in between. Is there a good solution for this? I may be able to clean out the crust, then glue and clamp it.
Would it be better to try and fill it somehow?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2017 :  10:13:10  Show Profile
Oxcalic acid will work as a teak cleaner or you can use a commercial teak cleaner brightener. Personally I like some streaks, Adds character rather than a uniform look but that's a personal thing. Can you snap a picture of the crib boards? It be easier to make any suggestions.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page