Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pulling mast wiring/cable
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RichardG
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/06/2017 :  15:59:05  Show Profile
I'm planning to pull new VHF cable and mast light wiring soon. The wiring is the pre-spliced version from Catalina Direct. I have 2 messenger lines pulled in when I pulled out the old wire - one to the steaming light and another to the top of the mast. My plan is to have a friend at the steaming light pull that wire from there, while I'm at the masthead pulling the VHF and masthead wire together. As I don't have a conduit in there, I've heard it's good to wrap the wire with short sections of pipe insulation every couple of feet, wrapping each with 3 wire ties with the tags sticking out 120 degrees from each other. The space to get the upper portion of all this past the spreader bracket (with 4 bolts going through?) seems that it might be a little tight, with lots of things to get hung up on those bolts. Anyone have experience with this? Any advice?

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2017 :  16:34:10  Show Profile
You sure you don't have a conduit? What was there on the original wires that kept the wires from slapping?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

RichardG
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2017 :  17:58:37  Show Profile
Good question. There is an extra 'line' of old rope that reaches to the bottom of the mast. It won't pull out. I think it may be tied to the spreader bracket, and perhaps the old wires were wrapped around it to keep them from banging. This must have been done by at least 2 owners ago (28+ years ago), maybe when they upgraded the spreader brackets. I heard the mast conduit became standard after boats around 1985.

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2017 :  20:39:14  Show Profile
I ran new wires in mine a couple of years ago. The old wire had foam wrapped and taped around it about 3-4 feet apart. I figured I didn't need it. WRONG. The next week I dropped the mast and pulled the wires and put a soft foam every 3 feet using wire ties. Noise gone. Was a little tricky getting past the spreader bolt but I persisted and did it. On the top half I put wire ties on each end of foam and let the middle bulge out.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2017 :  22:36:22  Show Profile
I've heard about using wire ties with the tails sticking out, but not about tying them around pipe insulation. I might tie them around some tape to minimize chafe. The ties alone should be able to slice past the spreader compression tubes, and should keep the wires from slapping.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2017 :  07:06:42  Show Profile
I agree with Dave, Why add the foam that could end up being a problem going past the spreaders when it's the wire tie tails that keep the cable from slapping.

Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2017 :  08:48:55  Show Profile
Sounds like a better idea. Wish I had heard or thought of it at the time. Would have been much easier. I simple used a version of what came out with the old wires. Point is you need something to hold wires in check. (Found out hard way)

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2017 :  10:58:06  Show Profile
I used wide, 6", zip ties and it worked well. I removed the spreaders and compression tubes before passing the wire because I was also replacing a spreader bracket. I also used s stain line to keep the hanging weight off the wire bundle.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 02/07/2017 11:02:02
Go to Top of Page

RichardG
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2017 :  09:55:33  Show Profile
Well, I pulled the wires. It turned out that the old line in there wasn't tied to the spreader bracket. The other end appeared at the top when I started pulling the new wire. The new wires got hung up about half-way through, so I pulled the old rope all the way out to clear the path for the new wire, and it had pieces of foam tied to it every 5' or so. I didn't expect that. It wasn't easy pulling the lower foam pieces past the spreader bracket, but once past that, it came out much easier, and then the new wires came all the way through. I think a previous owner way back when didn't like the clanging of his wires, so pulling foam pieces through was their solution.

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2017 :  12:32:39  Show Profile
I agree with the rope and foam being a PO's fix for the wire slap. Certainly not what Catalina did.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page