Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 LED light bulbs polarity
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slim
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/04/2017 :  15:27:51  Show Profile
Hi everyone

Well this stuff just gets better and better for the old dogs like myself. I recently decided to install LED light bulbs in my old light fixtures and went thru all the trouble of finding replacement bulbs that were supposedly a sure fit for the old incandescent bulbs. On the day of the arrival i could hardly wait to get them in and start saving all that precious 12v juice. So Off i went instaling all of the bulbs and when i turned on the juice none of them worked. What happened? this really was going to save me a lot on the electric as no bulb at all burns about 100% less electric than any bulb that is working however i was a little disappointed and started blaming everyone and everything i could think of for my delema. As it turned out my easy peasy LED bulb replacement guide forgot to tell me that i just might not have the right polarity for LED bulbs and that i might just have to rewire all of the fixtures. Unlike incandescent light bulbs, which illuminate regardless of the electrical polarity, LEDs will only light with correct electrical polarity. I just thought that maybe someone else might be thinking of this little easy change out for a winter project and they might want to be aware of what they are getting into. I did finally get the job done and am good with how it turned out so all's well that ends well right?

Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2017 :  17:56:58  Show Profile
Your not the first to run into this problem, Just do a search on LED bulb replacement. Rather than switching the wires at each fixture it might be easier just to switch the wires at the fuse panel for the light circuits.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2017 :  18:09:40  Show Profile
Switching the wires at each fixture doesn't take long and preserves color coding. I wasn't very happy when I switched mine and they didn't work either. Unfortunately, I also found that the old, yellowed, translucent fixtures absorbed a lot of the light and ended up replacing them with new red/white LED fixtures.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2017 :  23:29:59  Show Profile
So I just want to understand, polarity issues aside:
You bought LED bulbs to fit into those crappy RV lights and when you got the LED bulbs installed and working, you were happy with the results ?

Funny, I've been led to believe that the LED lights need special fittings for maximum illumination. Something about clear lenses and what not.
Could you please post the source of your LED bulbs.
I'm considering doing the same for my lights.
Thanks
Steven Schavlan

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2017 :  05:54:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Your not the first to run into this problem, Just do a search on LED bulb replacement. Rather than switching the wires at each fixture it might be easier just to switch the wires at the fuse panel for the light circuits.

Yep you got it. Being the clever old fox i am i thought of that also and did it first. After i switched the wire at the breaker panel and installed my lights bulbs everything seemed to work great until later when i found that my bow running lights came on when ever i energized my cabin light circuit and no longer came on at all with the running light switch, also the overhead light in the aft quarter berth quite working at, no electricity to it. So back into the dumpster i went again to change everything back to the way it was before. This would be even better if i had been changing out my anchor light and been running up and down the mast a few dozen times.LOL :0)

Slim

Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2017 :  06:02:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SKS

So I just want to understand, polarity issues aside:
You bought LED bulbs to fit into those crappy RV lights and when you got the LED bulbs installed and working, you were happy with the results ?

Funny, I've been led to believe that the LED lights need special fittings for maximum illumination. Something about clear lenses and what not.
Could you please post the source of your LED bulbs.
I'm considering doing the same for my lights.
Thanks
Steven Schavlan

Ya the bulbs work great and light is very good even with those old crappy rv fixtures. I don't know if your lights would take the same bulbs as mine since your boat is almost 10 years newer and the wiring may not be the same or the fixtures however hear is the source good luck.

Slim

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LEBLI82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2017 :  19:52:28  Show Profile
The problem arises when you try to use colored lenses over white LEDs. Frosted or translucent plastic lenses work but both reduce light output while making it more even. Translucent plastic is the worst. The light level with my patterned. clear glass fixtures is dramatically improved, albeit at much greater cost.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2017 :  21:29:15  Show Profile
I've been unhappy replacing my incandescent bulbs in the old fixtures. Between swapping polarity, intermittent contacts and dingy translucent lenses, this route is less than optimal. I purchased 2-3 LED auto bulbs for non-critical locations but I bought two new LED fixtures for the main cabin lights. At Lowes Home Center, I also found a three-fixture, three-lamp 12VDC hockey puck light for the galley area. I used adhesive backing to attach them to the cabin ceiling. I purchased a Coleman LED lantern with a rechargeable battery for portable lighting. I usually hang it from the pop-top pistons. I also purchased two LUCI solar rechargeable lights for portable and outside nighttime lighting. They work well and being solar, they always work. I added a fixture 1/2 down inside the quarterberth using three completely sealed truck licence plate LED lights mounted on a plastic block with an on/off switch. It's fine as a reading light.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2017 :  08:51:59  Show Profile
I switched the bulbs with LEDs, reversed the polarity, and found the old yellowed covers filtered out more than half the light.

Soon after I found 2 1/2 inch 3-LED adhesive puck lights and installed 3 on the port side of the cabin ceiling, 3 to starboard, and 3 more on the pop-top just outside the sliding hatch. These work like little spotlights and have 3-way switches to light 1 LED, 2 LEDs, or 3 LEDs.

I have learned that the 3 AAA batteries in each removable puck light last much longer if I twist and remove the lights after sailing and store the batteries separately in a dry place.

However, I haven't seen this kind of puck lights at Lowes or Home Depot lately, but I bet they are sold online.

The cabin is much brighter with these 9 little lights, as you know if you have completed mods with your lights.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2017 :  17:45:39  Show Profile

Hi everyone

Strange how many different problems come up from this one subject (LED’s) The one thing that does seem to hold true is that if you want to save on electricity, help reduce the load on your battery led’s are a good way to go. All the rest is just fluff unless you were trying to get more light or accomplish something else. My lights are in now and working well in the old figures using little electricity about 1/10 of what my old bulbs used so i am happy. Also found that my 12v charger for the handheld marine radio is also polarity sensitive and there is a fuse in the tip of the 12v plug that no one tells you about just in case you get it wrong. Guess what happened.

Slim

Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2017 :  20:30:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slim

...Also found that my 12v charger for the handheld marine radio is also polarity sensitive and there is a fuse in the tip of the 12v plug that no one tells you about just in case you get it wrong. Guess what happened.

Slim

Yup...did that about six months ago. Wired a new 12 volt plug for my fridge/cooler. Looked at the plug three times to make sure I had the polarity right, wired it wrong, plugged the cooler in and blew a ~$20 special fuse for the cooler (that included shipping). Measure twice, cut once....

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2017 :  19:41:25  Show Profile
Thank heavens for fuses! Even the expensive ones are wa-a-a-ay cheaper than the equipment and people they protect.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2017 :  12:35:09  Show Profile
Yup been there too. Rewired new fixtures and very pleased with the results. It seems some of our boats were backwards from the factory.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page