Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Winter Project Status
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2017 :  17:02:58  Show Profile
Bruce....have you looked into Waterlox marine finishes? It is a two part approach similar to what you are asking...apply two coats of a tung oil based sealer and then top with a diluted spar varnish. As I understand it, application is similar to teak oil, but offers a flexible topcoat similar to Cetol, and sanding from one season to the next is "optional". I have not seen it in person but seems to get good reviews and preserves the natural grain of the wood. If I were redoing my brightwork, I would consider this.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972

Edited by - glivs on 02/22/2017 17:05:02
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2017 :  14:25:52  Show Profile
That's why I mentioned it here. The last time I sanded down to wood and finished the teak I first applied Deks Oljies oil-based finish which soaked in and looked great, then to "seal" I applied Cetol which was the tinted stuff.
I was thinking "stain then polyurethane " like I'd done around the house.
It held up well for several years.
I thought I'd do the same this time but I have the clear Cetol. I guess I could test it out both ways on the backside or on some scrap.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/26/2017 :  11:41:05  Show Profile
Gerry, no I haven't seen this before. I was looking at the original coating from last time and while it held up well, it seemed I had put it on a little too thick. Once I get all my brightwork back to clean wood I think this time I'll go with Cetol. I have a can of Cetol Marine Natural Teak that should do it. If I thin the first coat, should I do a total of three coats?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2017 :  16:06:14  Show Profile
Huge advantage to it. Rarely have to reapply, protects and looks great for what it is.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2017 :  23:17:52  Show Profile
Yes you can put Cetol over oiled wood that has dried, but you can't put varnish over Cetol wood. I think I remember you can't put Cetol over Tung oil.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2017 :  18:36:32  Show Profile
Yes I'm going to apply it solo. According to the literature the Cetol has a honey color and a satin finish. Should be nice.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2017 :  15:59:40  Show Profile
This is 3 - 4 coats of Cetol Natural Teak:

Close hauled at 4
Close hauled at 4 knots SOG with 2/3 of the genoa, except when crashing into 3 - 4 footers

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

JamesBird
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2017 :  16:11:05  Show Profile
outside teak needs 3-4 coats of Cetol for it to hold up. It will last for three years without any touching up needed. Lightly sand between each coat. Inside use only needs 1-2 coats. I recommend the natural teak color as it's the lightest in color.

Jim
Danvers, MA
79 Cat25/SR/SK/(1185)

Edited by - JamesBird on 03/17/2017 16:12:52
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2017 :  10:33:33  Show Profile
Scuffing and single layer recoat is recommended annually. How long it holds up depends on surface wear and sunlight. I couldn't drive after hand surgery last year and face a little more work after 2 years of Ohio and Florida sun. It isn't as hard as varnish, so the frequently grabbed handrails are very worn.

edit: I don't sand between coats. I do hatch boards, trim, and rails separately and recoat at shorter intervals so I can do 3-4 coats on a section a day. The layers still bond well if I recoat when its dry to the touch and wipes town with a tackcloth without drag.. I would scuff with a Scotchbrite in between if it dried overnight.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 03/18/2017 12:44:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page